Skype For Android

NanLaew

There was a news article from a respected PC magazine on my android phone news service last night about skype releasing an android version. It said it would be available in the 'market'. It wasn't.

So I web-browsed to their skype.com/m link which had the big 'download' button but it said 'not available' so I gave up thinking maybe my connection sucked.

I just browsed to their website again and it says "Sorry, Skype is unavailable for your mobile. We add new handsets all the time so check back soon."

What's the deal? Withdrawn already for bugs or was the press release bogus?

I am running frodo on the nexus one btw.

Edited by NanLaew

Now I am confused... not unusual. Here's a couple of quotes from websites.

"After reaching the iPhone and Nokia devices, Skype can now be downloaded onto any Android device. The VoIP application can be downloaded through Android market, Google’s application store, around the world. So far only American Verizon customers will be able to install Skype in Google’s cellular OS".

and

"It took a while, but Skype has now released an application for Android smartphones, enabling users to make free calls to other Skype users and send and receive IMs, one-to-one or with a group. The Android app works over WiFi, 3G, EDGE and GPRS, and comes at a cost that’s hard to beat – gratis.

Big caveats: you can only make calls over WiFi in the United States, and the app is not available in the Android Market in China or Japan. Skype teamed up with Verizon last February to introduce Skype Mobile, including for Android phones, exclusively for the US carrier’s customers".

My nexus one is unlocked and on AIS when in Thailand (currently on Maxis in Malaysia) so how come Skype for android doesn't come up in the 'Market' automatically or by searching? I get the not available for your phone when I go online to skype website. Never used Skype's VOIP services much but the messaging is what I would like to have.

I will have a look at appbrain. Thanks Phil

Skype Mobile for handsets is available to Verizon USA customers only. It is not available for use by anyone on any other network.

were did you here that from . i use skype all the time on my phone and i have been doing so for over 3 years and i never even heard of verizon . skype is used on many many other handsets and networks .

This tread is about Skype for Android as the subject says - jackbox meant for Android handset. This is what you will see if you go to Skype's website, as they haven't updated it yet. You can now get Skype through Market, but frankly, it's such a resource hog (just like it's Windows client) that I recommend getting Nimbuzz instead. Nimbuzz is a multi-protocol client which among other things can use the Skype protocol, both text and speech, just like if you had the Skype client installed but using a third of the memory Skype users.

Edited by Phil Conners

Phil knows what I am talking about! This isn't any bundled "skype for mobile" c/o Verizon but the brand new release of skype for android for everyone that is available NOW.

Anyway, after being unable to access the product, even through appbrain while on Malaysian networks which included wi-fi, I am in Udon for the weekend, fired up appbrain and downloaded and installed skype for android in about 1 minute. I have an astonishingly fast 'new' internet connection that was installed by 3bb while I was out.

Edited by NanLaew