Thai/aussie Baby

My baby son was born in Thailand, I am Australian and my wife is Thai. They spelt his name wrong on the birth certificate so we will go and sort that out tomorrow. Then register him in the Thai family book. After doing this, the next step would be to apply for a Thai passport, then go to the Aus embassy and register him as an Aus citizen, then apply for an Aussie passport for him, as we are going to live in Oz soon.

Is this the normal thing to do? Do babies have passports?

If anyone who has experience with this, I would appreciate any help or info.

Thanks!

Congrats Taxi!

Firstly, babies do have Passports, and he will need his own.

Do a search on this site under ‘dual nationality’, but essentially, your son should leave Thailand on the Thai passport, and enter Australia on the Australian passport.

Show both to airline check-in, so they know he has the right to enter OZ.

Thai immigration should only need to see the Thai passport. Only offer that one for them to stamp him out on.

Well, that answers some Q's I had too.

We are in the same situation but baby not due until October. Also, I think we will stay here for a while. So, although he doesn't need a passport right now do I have to get him registered or anything with Oz Embassy??

Also, are we able to collect on the baby bonus. :o

Cheers

Carl

Well, that answers some Q's I had too.

We are in the same situation but baby not due until October. Also, I think we will stay here for a while. So, although he doesn't need a passport right now do I have to get him registered or anything with Oz Embassy??

Also, are we able to collect on the baby bonus. :o

Cheers

Carl

Carl, Unfortunately no you cant claim the baby bonus.

At the Oz Embassy you must apply for " Citizenship by Decent ". You can find info on this on the Oz Embassy website. Its pretty straightforward and once you have the Citizenship certificate you can apply for the childs first oz passport.

Edited by COBBER

Of course he can apply for the baby bonus, after his child has citizenship. I got my mother to call them and they told her that the Aussie parent can apply for it. Her words were 'you have 26 weeks after baby's birth to lodge the form with the baby's passport or birth certificate and it's $3,000', so make sure you get a passport for your kid.

Of course he can apply for the baby bonus, after his child has citizenship. I got my mother to call them and they told her that the Aussie parent can apply for it. Her words were 'you have 26 weeks after baby's birth to lodge the form with the baby's passport or birth certificate and it's $3,000', so make sure you get a passport for your kid.

Taxi,

The Australian government is a miser when it comes to paying benefits to people overseas.

If you are based in LOS, you won't be eligible for the baby bonus. You and the child have to be resident in OZ for this to occur. Centrelink know when someone is or isn't in the country as the immigration database are linked to both the ATO and centrelink. Additionally Centrelink (as I recall) require paperwork from the hospital that the baby was born at too.

It OK however to have the baby born overseas, and for the parents to move back to OZ, but residency has to be proven.

Congratuations all on the new additions.

Be prepared for a request for a DNA test.

I am getting a number of people coming through where I work needing passport photos for DNA tests. Photo mum, dad, kid, then get them "certified". That is here in Perth, so I can see that the outsourced office will be a little more cynical.

CP