Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

napalm

I'm still pretty amazed by how a little bit of rain scares most Thais. My wife gets really annoyed if I let our daughter get a few drops of rain on her head between the school's parking and her classroom. Still, she can have her playing in our pool for hours after school. But if it starts raining while playing, it's time to seek shelter. Most Thai homes collect rain water and later, by the buckets, pour it over their heads for free refreshing showers - no problem there. As a kid I loved playing in the rain and jumping in puddles etc. My parents didn't really seem that concerned. A shower and a change into dry clothes was fine. I didn't immediately come down with severe colds or pneumonia. I wonder how this very common paranoia started amongst so many Thais. Still seeking an explanation for this but never came across a Thai that knew more than that rain is bad for you....

My wife thinks its cold when its raining even though the temperature is still 28 degrees and puts a coat on in the house.

To me the rain is not cold here and if i need to get somewhere will walk in the rain.

I get some funny looks from Thais, most do not know what cold rain is, and have never visited a country with a cool climate.

But that leads on to another thing I find nuts.. Namely if the weather dips below 10 degrees C theres a state of emergency up north, blanket collections and people die in their homes. I was homeless and slept rough in Holland one Jan and it was bitter, but I still didnt end up dead.

Baffles me how people can die of exposure on whats pretty much a scottish nice spring day !!

Agree with the OP, very strange this. They also say rain is ok for farang kids, because they are not the same. Totally nuts.

It was cold though yesterday, I also wore a sweater on the motorbike, and sleep deep under the blankets (no a/c in the house).

It doesn't seem to bother my GF, unless she has just had her hair done. She just puts on a sweatshirt and her rain plastic and goes off on her motorbike, unless it's really pouring. She comes home and takes a hot shower and changes and all is fine. But she did graduate from a university...

But she did graduate from a university...

Well, if she is that smart and educated, she is probably wearing a crash helmet which, effectively, is preventing rain from landing on her head, which is my whole point.....

I agree with the OP.

I have done extensive backpacking (trekking) all over the world, and hiked in the rain for days.

I am healthier than most and enjoy a jog in the rain sometimes.

Yet, I've had people tell me the rain is full of chemicals, pollutants, and I'll get sick if I let it touch me.

I know better of course.

My mother in law collects and drinks the water as does everyone in her village.

It's not just Thai's though.

I see it in America too and have heard the same from people of many nationalities

Some people either didn't listen in science class in school, or have been scared by stories they've heard.

It's fine with me.

The beach is usually deserted during a rainstorm and better for my jogging.