New Open Mike, Spoken Word, Improv Nite At Sangdee Gallery

realthaideal

The Open mike Nite at Sangdee Art Gallery starts tonight, Thursday at 7pm. I think I'm gonna have to be there. Word is there will be some improv, bellydancing, spoken word, poetry, and then who knows what else. I'm excited to see. (RTD might even have to take to mike to read a little something!)

The gallery's #5, Nimmanhaemin Soi 5, and most easily reached off Sirimankalajan, Soi 5 being almost opposite that one Jipata Shirt Showroom on Siriman.

This place is one of CM's best kept secrets so I thought I'd give them a plug. They do alot for the community. Recently they've been having workshops for kids on weekends including kite-making and clay sculpting (where else can kids go n do that in a fun class?!). They're already known for having photography and movie-making workshops, and word is that this November there will even be a design-your-own dress class with pattern making. And then Wednesday nights they have live music and it's quite the not-a-scene scene of Thais n expats mixing and chilling.

Any other TV'ers secretly in the mix ? I've been going to their events since February. Really, they're one of CM's best kept (grassroots) bit-of-culture secrets.

• 2 months later...

<br />Is this happening regularly?  I'm looking for somewhere that does open mic/spoken word.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, open mike night at Sangdee IS every Thursday, with the notable exception of this week when they are closed. Their usual programme resumes on Friday the 7th and the lucky 13th sees 'open mic' return.

During the past few Thursdays they've had a very good and varied selection of verse, acapella folk song and even some amusing dance from Neville, who is a most welcoming host in Dutch as well as English.

No food but drinks at reasonable prices, etc etc.

No connection other than as an impressed newcomer there.

<br />Is this happening regularly? I'm looking for somewhere that does open mic/spoken word.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, open mike night at Sangdee IS every Thursday, with the notable exception of this week when they are closed. Their usual programme resumes on Friday the 7th and the lucky 13th sees 'open mic' return.

During the past few Thursdays they've had a very good and varied selection of verse, acapella folk song and even some amusing dance from Neville, who is a most welcoming host in Dutch as well as English.

No food but drinks at reasonable prices, etc etc.

No connection other than as an impressed newcomer there.

Sounds good. I'll get myself along soon then. Thanks very much for the information.