Frequent Bombings Won't Deter Thai Tourism: Minister

webfact

Tourism and Sports Minister: Frequent Bombings Won't Deter Tourism

BANGKOK: -- The tourism and sports minister has insisted that the frequent bombings in Bangkok have had no serious impact on tourism.

He dismissed speculation of a ban on travel to Thailand by the Chinese government as untrue.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumphol Silpa archa said it is unlikely that tourism will plummet because of the frequent bombings in the city as it did during the political protest at Ratchaprasong intersection.

The latest bombing took place at an apartment building called Saman Metta Mansion in Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi, an adjoining province to Bangkok.

Chumphol believes the frequent bombings will not significantly affect tourist numbers, but acknowledged that some tourists have canceled their travel plans.

He added that there are no travel warnings against Thailand and the international community now has a better understanding of the situation in Thailand.

He went on to say that the number of tourists is rising and the number of individual tourists alone has increased by 70 to 80 percent.

He expects that more than 15 million tourists will travel to Thailand by the end of the year.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-07

footer_n.gif

BANGKOK: -- The tourism and sports minister has insisted that the frequent bombings in Bangkok have had no serious impact on tourism.

So no need to worry about it, is that the reasoning? One large scale Bali-style mess is all it will take. What a drip.

Edited by Crushdepth

He added that there are no travel warnings against Thailand and the international community now has a better understanding of the situation in Thailand.

If Tourism and Sports Minister Chumphol Silpa archa learned how to use a Google on the interweb then he'd find warnings such as this from NZ:

Thailand

Reviewed: 29 September 2010, 10:05 NZDT

Still current at: 07 October 2010

There is some risk to your security in Bangkok and other areas in Thailand not covered below due to the uncertain political situation, potential for civil unrest and threat from terrorism and we advise caution.

or this from the UK Embassy:

There is a high threat of terrorism in Thailand. Bomb and grenade attacks have been indiscriminate, including in places visited by expatriates and foreign travellers. Sporadic attacks continue in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Exercise caution, especially in the cities of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Ubon Ratchathani and Udon Thani. See: Safety and Security - Terrorism .
Edited by onlooker

Which planet is he living on? The complacency is stunning & the ignorance of what the world thinks of Thailand right now is simply beyond belief. I have friends due next week who have now postponed for the second time this year. They are now seriously thinking of going to Hong Kong & Vietnam instead. It is people like this who are supposed to be running this country but are patently incapable of any intelligent thought. Does he not know how bad the forward bookings are here in Chiang Mai? They are so bad that hotels are pleading for some actions to help them survive, & bars and restaurants are doing so badly that many are closing down. Nero had the same idea a few centuries ago I believe.violin.gif

So no need to worry about it, is that the reasoning? One large scale Bali-style mess is all it will take. What a drip.

It has no effect on tourism here on Koh Pnangan, we have no tourist for it to effect?

Nope, no impact to tourism. In fact it has actually improved the tourism industry with Thailand offering Terrorism Tour's where all bomb sites will be converted to a tourist attraction. Locals can pay 5 Bhat, while foreigners pay 100 Bhat to enter and see how it is like to be in a blown up building. Expect an additional 5% to 10% growth estimation.

I also heard that the current Tourism minister has a special Buddha amulet (Jatukham) that deflects all anti-tourism feelings. This is the reason Thailand's tourism industry had always improved in the face of adversity.

More lies from the official again.

I am not sure id booming, or strong Bath, the tourist situation is disastrous, it is suppose to be HIGH Season, but out tourist customer in MBK has shrunk from 30 to only 6 or 7. It is very bad, not sure if all tourist are staying home or just not coming to Thailand. Tourist in Chaing Mai is also nonexistent

I would say he is correct - tourism was already down. The people finicky about a bomb or two, canceled a long time ago.

Finicky? We're not discussing food or hotel facilities. How can someone be finicky about being blown up?

Wrt tourism: The bunch currently running the country weren't overly concerned about losing the 2008/9 high season due to the antics at the start of that season. I doubt tourism will be anywhere near the top of their agenda this year either.

Edited by Siam Simon

As the old saying goes " denial is not just a river in Egypt"

I like the tourist figures quoted, another role of the dice or spin of the wheel and today's percent is...............................................!!

Edited by dumpling

There ae Lies, dam_n lies, and statistics, and liars dam_n liars, and politicians.

Ypu've go to be a total *$#*! to want to be one. Why is anyone actually therefore surprised when a politico acts like one?

As for Thai politoicos, like their voters, they are some of the World's most ignorant. They have little understanding of what happens in their own country,let alone the rest of the World.

Government officials will almost always put a positive spin in events, and at worst, put out a statement that leaves your eyes crossed and "Huh?" coming from from your lips wondering what the statement really means.

And we all know the old saying of "An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away" is not true. So, the saying of "A Bomb a Day, Keeps the Tourists Away" is also not true. Just ask the Tourism and Sport Ministry.

Edited by Pib

When I read the original article myself I thought exactly the same thing.

The bombers only need to get 'lucky' just once, that is all.

It has no effect on tourism here on Koh Pnangan, we have no tourist for it to effect?

Don't get high on your own supply..................:jap:

Why would any intelligent person make such a stupid statement? I rest my case! whistling.gif

Maybe he thinks or knows sex sells. And many men think with another part of their body hot located above the neck. :-) As long as there is ample supply of prostitutes there will be men flocking to where they are. So the "tourists" will continue pouring in.

He went on to say that the number of tourists is rising and the number of individual tourists alone has increased by 70 to 80 percent.

He expects that more than 15 million tourists will travel to Thailand by the end of the year.

Hum... 15 million arrivals in 2 and a half months? Really? Individual tourists alone, (isn't that a bit redundant?) have increased by 70 to 80%? Where, when? What a load of rubbish!

I'm pretty tough when it comes to travel. There just after the Bali bombs. China during SARS. Phuket after the tsunami. Rwanda during the recent battle with the DRC. But the bombings here really make me sit up and take notice. If I did not live here, I would for sure not visit.....plenty of other places to visit.

The old 'rule of Thumb'

1) A corrupt person would not want a person more intelligant than themselves working for them.

2) Many of the politicians are corrupt.

3) Who ever made this appointment as well as many others within the government apparently follow 1 and 2 scenario.

4) This 'rule of thumb' would indicate that the referenced appointments were made corrupt politicians with an IQ

equivalent of slug, thus the downhill slide is predictable/expected.