Job Offer For Thai Lady

jammai

Just wanted to get a few other opinions, got a friend who said she has accepted a job as a secretary for a Thai lady who is in the jewelry/mining business. All sounds fine until she told me the job is located in Tanzania.

Now I know the details are a little vague and just waiting till later to speak to her again but just seems a little suspicious to me as she has been promised a decent salary and to chance to travel around the world.

Maybe it’s just my suspicious mind, but when something sounds too good to be true...

What's neither good nor bad:

- The site is registered privately via a well known registrar and hosted there.

- There are no reports I can find about this particular company or domain being involved in anything.

- The content of the site is poor, but many trading/commodities companies are similar when it comes to IT.

What's good:

- The domain is several years old. (with an account on somewhere like whois.sc you can check how many owners it has had).

What's bad:

- The website has a poor record in the internet archive: http://web.archive.org/web/*/beyondsky.com

Tanzania in general: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,,,TZA,456d621e2,4c1883c0c,0.html

There is nothing conclusive from what I found with a few minutes checking. I would suggest calling them during business hours, pretending to be a negotiator representing an interest in buying one of their published ores/mineral/whatever.

My personal feeling would be to do a lot more checking. Genuine trading companies leave long paper trails.

Edited by OxfordWill

When in Doubt - say NO. Sounds like a con. Suggest to your friend that she ask the company if she can check on them via government agencies, etc. ie. a due diligence investigation. See what reaction she gets.

Pretty sure this would be a scam, can check with goverment agencies here and I would get in touch with a Tanzanian embassy/consulate as well and get an answer

There were a few scams on the go about 2 years ago involving both Uganda and Tanzania if memory serves, dont belive what you see on web sites, as these days the scammers are quite sophisticated and setting up a dummy web page is very easy...there are loads related to Nigerian "employment" agencies, which appear to be based in London, offer people positions and then tell them they have to buy an "insurance" or pay for a "visa" etc etc...send the money last your hear...

Just check out the company. I export to Africa regularly and have some clients in nearby Zambia. If you want shoot me the link (PM)and I'll contact em with my company as if I was looking to do some trade.

My money is on that it's a perfectly legit opportunity.

Yeah so it's in Africa....and?

Girls have to worry about the same scams when they come to work in Europe (especially Africans)

A bit old but look on ' Africaguide.com '

yohana It is safe in Tanzania

August 11, 2006 02:13PM Hello,

Dont worry too much about travelling alone in Tanzania. Tanzanians are so friendly and they would barely hurt any foreigner. However, if you find a Tanzanian to travel with, that will be better especially when you walk alone during night hours. but that is just in case of anything and help as you know most Tanzanians speak swahili and few few people speak english.

you are welcome

Learn Swahili first l would say.:blink:

not been asked to put money up front, I have actually found a little bit more and found a website on the company, looks genuine to me. Not sure if i am allowed to post it here?

im worried more about you.

I am equally more worried about the OP, since when will a Thai girl listen to a Farang over her fellow Thai.

Except if you are just running your scam over with us to see if it passes the litmus test.

I have met Filipina maids, Thai welders, Chinese bricklayers all over Africa.

If it had been a richer country than Tanzania, I would have been worried and women from Africa are still willing to have sex, so why import one?

If it had been a richer country than Tanzania, I would have been worried and women from Africa are still willing to have sex, so why import one?

Luckily we're in Thailand, where the number of promiscuous - or business minded - women haven't decreased to the point where women of other nationalities see an opportunity. Neither African nor Russian, I might add. On the other hand; I have realised there are African drug dealers, maids and scam artists all over Thailand, so I guess it evens out. Edited by Forethat

its a scam, don't do it

i got offered a job teaching in Africa for 5 grand a month with free food and housing, bull shit

plus i get email spams from Nigeria on a daily basis telling me i inherited 1 million dollars asking for my bank info....

not been asked to put money up front, I have actually found a little bit more and found a website on the company, looks genuine to me. Not sure if i am allowed to post it here?

why are you worried about me?

Perhaps your lady friend is pulling a fast one and has an hidden agenda for reasons why she is travelling abroad?

maybe, but dont see why when were not even in a relationship. I have a gf already and just wanted to find out a few peoples opinions as it rang a few alarms for me when i heard it.

When in Doubt - say NO. Sounds like a con. Suggest to your friend that she ask the company if she can check on them via government agencies, etc. ie. a due diligence investigation. See what reaction she gets.

Pretty sure this would be a scam, can check with goverment agencies here and I would get in touch with a Tanzanian embassy/consulate as well and get an answer

There were a few scams on the go about 2 years ago involving both Uganda and Tanzania if memory serves, dont belive what you see on web sites, as these days the scammers are quite sophisticated and setting up a dummy web page is very easy...there are loads related to Nigerian "employment" agencies, which appear to be based in London, offer people positions and then tell them they have to buy an "insurance" or pay for a "visa" etc etc...send the money last your hear...

this seams a sensible option, unfortunatley i do not know the procedure. any ideas?

I am equally more worried about the OP, since when will a Thai girl listen to a Farang over her fellow Thai.

Except if you are just running your scam over with us to see if it passes the litmus test.

I have met Filipina maids, Thai welders, Chinese bricklayers all over Africa.

maybe she would not listen to me, but if i did have good reason to believe it was a scam I dont think i could sleep at night knowing i didnt say anything.