Need New Passport - Full - Going To Chiang Mai On Train - What Will Happen If No Passport To Show?

Just wondering if anyone can advise.

I'm going to chiang mai next week by train to see some friends who are visiting. My passport is full so will go to embassy tomorrow or monday to order new one.

I've been on the train before and remember police/security guys checking passport. I can't remember if embassy keeps old passport or not.

If they do and the police guys ask to check passort and I don't have it, will saying new one is being issued be ok?

I can present driving license or student/atm card or photocopy of passport - will that wash?

Just wondering if I should risk it or not if it might be a problem.

Thanks if anyone can offer advice.

You don't say what nationality your are.

If you're British you don't go to the Embassy, you just apply to Hong Kong for a new one (using DHL) and retain your old one until the new one arrives. But maybe you're not British.

In my experience a Thai driving licence is as good as a passport for officialdom.

I don't think there is any embassy which will retain a passport while an application for the new one is being processed. The old one remains valid until the new one has actually been issued and been handed to the holder.

The OP should not have any problems.

opalhort

I don't think there is any embassy which will retain a passport while an application for the new one is being processed. The old one remains valid until the new one has actually been issued and been handed to the holder.

The OP should not have any problems.

opalhort

For UK passport holders, Hong Kong cancel the old passport as soon as they receive the application, but the old passport is retained, when the new one is received the corners have to be cut off the old one.

I had that problem a few years ago. I have U.S. passport. I went to the embassy in Bangkok and they added more pages to my existing passport while I waited. Problem solved. Perhaps U.K. has the same service available. Ask them.

Good luck, Ron

For UK passport holders, Hong Kong cancel the old passport as soon as they receive the application, but the old passport is retained, when the new one is received the corners have to be cut off the old one.

The embassy in Hong Kong received my passport renewal application on 17 September. I'm still waiting for the new passport. If it hasn't arrived by the time I need to do my 90 day report (15 October) presumably I can use my "old" passport, even if it has been cancelled?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

The embassy in Hong Kong received my passport renewal application on 17 September. I'm still waiting for the new passport. If it hasn't arrived by the time I need to do my 90 day report (15 October) presumably I can use my "old" passport, even if it has been cancelled?

You should be able to, yes. I applied for my new passport during the time that the embassy would send it to Hong Kong for you (and just a few days before they stopped doing this and you had to do it yourself).

They told me that my current passport would be electronically cancelled as soon as my application was processed in Hong Kong, but it would still be perfectly valid for doing the usual Thai immigration stuff/90 day reporting etc.

Assuming that was correct information you have nothing to worry about.

I guess I got lucky with my application because I had my new passport in about ten days.

You should be able to, yes. I applied for my new passport during the time that the embassy would send it to Hong Kong for you (and just a few days before they stopped doing this and you had to do it yourself).

They told me that my current passport would be electronically cancelled as soon as my application was processed in Hong Kong, but it would still be perfectly valid for doing the usual Thai immigration stuff/90 day reporting etc.

Assuming that was correct information you have nothing to worry about.

I guess I got lucky with my application because I had my new passport in about ten days.

Cheers mate.