Thanks Giving In Thailand

SausageKing

I have made my own full course Thanksgiving dinner a couple times here... complete with stuffing, mashed potatoes, buttered carrots 'n peas, etc. Got the turkey at Makro. A lot of work, but my wife and I, as well as the extrended Thai family, really enjoyed it... especially Pa (wife's dad - not into spicy-hot Thai dishes, and likes "exotic" foods... such as turkey).

When I was in Chiangmai, I saw they had complete turkey dinner sets/baskets at Rimping... fully cooked, enough for about 4 people.

I must say it looked pretty good, though a bit pricey.

So to answer the question -- the only for me to miss is my family in States.

Thanksgiving is my fav US holiday - food, football, and family - hard to beat.

I typically buy a full blown dinner set for the family meal from one of the major hotels in BKK - typically JW Marriot. Turkey, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, ect, ect. Best part about the food is leftovers - cold turkey sandwiches - yum. We used to get a couple of pies as well, but we typically don't bother with the pies anymore - none of them seem to measure up to Mom's - plus they tend to be way over priced. Better/less expensive pies would help, but I don't really miss them that much. Also would kind of like to have a whole deep fried turkey from time to time. But all in from a food point of view things are pretty good in BKK for Thanksgiving.

Now with ASN the football is taken care of as well.

So the only thing I miss on Thanksgiving in BKK is the extended family......

Well thanks for that and what is the date and month for thanks giving ? Sounds like Christmas dinner twice a year. thats good for me.

Thanksgiving in the US is always last Thursday of November and was a dinner giving thanks for the food and friendship between the early settlers in US and the American indians. I miss the pumpkin pie, but can get it at sunrise taco's and occasionally make it myself with canned pumpkin! I have seen turkeys all the time at the main Villa and they now have cornish hens! I cooked stuffed cornish hens for my wife family today. Did half with traditional bread stuffing and half with herbal rice, then served homeade blueberry danish for desert, all cooked on my gas grill

Well thanks for that and what is the date and month for thanks giving ? Sounds like Christmas dinner twice a year. thats good for me.

Thanksgiving in the US is always last Thursday of November and was a dinner giving thanks for the food and friendship between the early settlers in US and the American indians. I miss the pumpkin pie, but can get it at sunrise taco's and occasionally make it myself with canned pumpkin! I have seen turkeys all the time at the main Villa and they now have cornish hens! I cooked stuffed cornish hens for my wife family today. Did half with traditional bread stuffing and half with herbal rice, then served homeade blueberry danish for desert, all cooked on my gas grill

Sounds yummy. My dad made us cornish hens last time we were int he States - honey-orange baked in his expensive new computerized convection oven. Yeah, pumpkin pie is as essential as the turkey. One occasion, I made a pie using Thai "pumpkin" - not bad, but not exactly the same - well, I'd say close enough if you haven't had any for along time.

And BTW, sausageking, the proper name of the holiday is Thanksgiving (one word). And yes, it is the last Thursday in November, so it's a different date each year. This is a schedule for the next several years:

2010 - Thursday, November 25th

2011 - Thursday, November 24th

2012 - Thursday, November 22nd

2013 - Thursday, November 28th

TokyoT, have you ever seen Alton Brown on the Food Network, in U.S.A.? He did a show on fried turkey once; I had not even heard of it before then.

Deep-Fried Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Alton Brown: How to Deep Fry a Turkey for the Holidays http://www.foodnetwo...y-holidays.html

Check out the 3-video demonstration.

Deep-fried turkey is delicious, but you don't get drippings for gravy, nor can you do in-the-bird stuffing.  I prefer to brine my bird, then roast it in the oven.

I love, love, LOVE THanksgiving, and I take every opportunity to make my meal wherever I am.  And the sandwiches the next day, well simply heaven.  (I have often taken them on the plane on trips back to Thailand, and the envious looks I get from the others in Business Class are pretty rewarding in their own perverse way. :)  )

....And the sandwiches the next day, well simply heaven. (I have often taken them on the plane on trips back to Thailand, and the envious looks I get from the others in Business Class are pretty rewarding in their own perverse way. :) )

Are you sure those are looks of envy?

Turkey can ....well, y'know.... cause certain digestive... uh, "functions". :whistling: