How To Detect Fake Thai Silk And ,Lower Quality Imitates?

Sandman77

Hello !

last year,a tuck tuck driver,drives with me,in the shop james fashion in bangkok,where nearly every tourist comes in:)

then i order on the custom tailer desk one suit,and 3 thi silk tshirts,for apriximently 120€ am not sure,is to high for thai price or not!

the promeize me ,on the desk,all have the same quality,but it was not true,the brought me,after order everything in the bag to my hotel,i recogneized,that only one slik was good quality ,feeling when i touch it, i dont know how to disribe it,because iam not a expert in thai silk,

the other feel diffrent,much thin in material,the other 2 ,then the first one!

on the market also in bangkok,i not find many stores in khao sarn roud that have xxl size,the loock around 20 minutes,then the smile ,sorry we have nothing for you!

also i read some reports,that many fake clothes from famours brand,contains chemical colors,where you can get allergy from!

i am not sure,what thai silk price class,has real good quality!

are the all around the same,or how can someone withouth knowing the material can find out,what is good or not?

never trust a tuk tuk driver about where to buy things. The tuttuk drivers get a commission from the shop to take you there.

the fabric you got was obviously not good quality, and you should not have paid in advance for it. Many of the tailors in thailand are not thais but from other countries. Go to a thai or chinese-thai tailor if you want to get what you pay for.

You can get big sizes at MBK in bangkok.

your fears about the dyes used are probably well-founded. You should wash any clothes you get 3 times before wearing. You can get better quality men's clothing in phnom penh cambodia.

the best way to make sure you get good quality silk is to buy the silk yourself. there is a big fabric market on a street called Pa Hu Rat in bangkok, but you need to ask a thai you trust where a good silk store in bkk would be. In Chiang Mai go to Worarot market to find real silk stores.

not to be insulting. but anyone who takes advice on where to shop by tik tik drivers deserves what he gets.

no offense to tuk tuk hawkers but they all look like dirty old perverts...........inspires no confidnce in me, how do they get people to go with them?

hold a flame to some strands of the fabric... silk will reakt like hair and smell the same when burned, rayon, polyester will react and smell like - what it is, plastic!

Then usually the sales person will react with "Real silk is very, very expensive and hard to get, this is only 20% fiber mix, easiert to wash, to iron"...and, and, and the whole sales pitch. If it comes down to quality go ONLY with someone you can trust OR see Jim Thompson outlets (Jim Thompson's (9 Surawong Rd.; tel. 02632-8100); a factory outlet is 5 minutes away down Surawong Road, as well as at 153 Sukhumvit Rd., Soi 93) and OTOP outlets ... anyone in the very competitive garment/tailor industry will take advantage of cheap indian/chinese imports or Thai made fakes...go to the Emporium, Central Chidlom, Paragon great deals on Brand Fashion!

Edited by Samuian