I today deposited money in one of the SCB's machines to be told I'd been charged 29 baht for depositing!? I'd been a tad pissed off when I deposited at the same bank machine and was charged 20 baht a couple of weeks ago, now an almost 30% hike in letting them hold on to your own money. This on top of a 20 baht fee (now 29baht?) for withdrawing.

Before you were only 'charged' if you withdrew from another bank. Now you're charged when you deposit and withdraw, from your own bank and at this 30% 'interest'.

And for those who will shout 'kee niaow', given the current exchange rates, it adds up to a not insubstantial amount. :angry:

The context of your charges are not very clear - were you depositing to an account in another region, or at another bank? or simply you were in BKK depositing to your own BKK account?

(I'm rationing sympathy depending on the facts of the situation :))

I have banked SCB to SCB and not been charged unless out of region whereby they have hot me up for 1,000 Baht for deposits. I ended up carrying the cash with me and not banking. But within BKK banking from another bank across to SCB you will be charged as the issuing bank gets no use of your funds. I am not aware of costs. Bank to opposition bank from within a bank (not ATM) is usually a flat fee of Baht 500 as that is how I pay many accounts and contracts. So who knows. Seems a substantial amount at 29 Baht a transaction when ATM's were only 3 Baht previously for withdrawals. But a USD1 for a transaction by Western standards is still cheap!