Talking Like An Idiot

DiamondKing

I really hope my missus doesn't talk to me in pidgin Thai when we speak together in Thai because I don't want to learn pidgin Thai... But if she was I would know no better and end up mimicking bad Thai!

The majority of western non-Thais attempting to speak Thai do so rather poorly. I would think less than 1 in 10 speak with any degree of fluency.

But Blinky, there are loads of farang's that speak Thai fluently...they keep mentioning it on this forum. wink.gif

Well as there are 105,489 members, 1 in 10 would still be over 10,000!

When I met my Mrs some 15 years ago, she used to teach English to 5-7 y/o at a private school in Bangkok. Still, she could not understand if I spoke in English at all due to the pitches and inflexions we naturally use. I found it easier to talk in a single, monotone, pitch. This was one h3ll of a hard habbit to break! Even now, many years later, I still find myself slipping into it on occasion and have to mentally check myself. My kids speak English as their first language, and Thai as their second - they are more fluent in English - though they have both accents depending on the language they are using. They can read and write in both languages, but prefer to read in English. Therefore, as we decided to speak English at home solely during their pre school years, it was never really an issue with them.

Edited by wolf5370

I really hope my missus doesn't talk to me in pidgin Thai when we speak together in Thai because I don't want to learn pidgin Thai... But if she was I would know no better and end up mimicking bad Thai!

The majority of western non-Thais attempting to speak Thai do so rather poorly. I would think less than 1 in 10 speak with any degree of fluency.

But Blinky, there are loads of farang's that speak Thai fluently...they keep mentioning it on this forum. wink.gif

Well as there are 105,489 members, 1 in 10 would still be over 10,000!

Perhaps I should change that to 1 in 50 and I am not referring specifically to members of this Forum.

Also keep in mind the majority of the 105,489 members don't live in Thailand

Edited by Blinky Bill

get her into English language cartoons and make English fun for her....get her away from Thai TV as much as possible...even video games will help...watch and play with her...keep on it...

meanwhile get her schoolbooks and get her to help you learn Thai....it really isn't that hard

I agree. My 3yr old son has a huge collection of english movies and cartoons (Toy story, Ice Age Madagaca) He speaks very good english and thai and knows how to change between both depending on who he is talking to. English is the primary language spoken at home between the 3 of us however when it is mum and him it is thai. I think I have learnt more thai from my son than my wife.

The little Aussie has even got G'day mate down to perfection.

The only expats that speak "ediot" are the one's that probably spoke "ediot" in their own country!

If you had half a brain cell you would realize. Never mind though Diamond King, you could always give it up and speak Thai? well that's if you could! which I don't think because you are quite obviously devoid of the gray matter!

I wish you short brain cell people would stick to your own country.

(Sorry to offend anyone else)

As a fairly successful - only linguistically speaking mind you - luk krung product, I would like to add my tuppence, as this matter is something very dear to me. My father has spoken in English to me all my life and my mother always speaks Thai. I studied at a Thai school where English study was negligible (more often than not I failed my English classes because the teachers didn't like my smart-arsed corrections of their bad English) and thirty years ago Chiang Mai didn't have such exposure to English-language media. Anyway, my English turned out pretty fine, as has my Thai. I believe it was because of my father's constant use of the language as well as his fun and challenging corrections - making me rush off to the dictionary or encyclopedia as part of the learning game. It was also reading, obsessive, marvellous, enjoyable, eye-opening reading. And lastly, when I hit about 12, I had two hours a week literature/grammar lessons with an excellent farang teacher.

So, I don't think you need any fancy tools, or teachers, just speak to your child and as someone mentioned above, be their correct reference.

The only expats that speak "ediot" are the one's that probably spoke "ediot" in their own country!

If you had half a brain cell you would realize. Never mind though Diamond King, you could always give it up and speak Thai? well that's if you could! which I don't think because you are quite obviously devoid of the gray matter!

Not offended, perplexed. What brought all that on?

So your post was deliberately aimed at me ? Hmmmm not sure why you have chosen to attack me and by the looks of it even signed up under a new name to do so unde rthe name chaingmaitoughguy LOL I think that name is only in your mind as you choose to insult people hiding behind your computer screen.

You know very well that attacking people is against TV rules and thats why you probably signed up under a new name

Anyway I will report your post as against TV rule

have nice day tough guy :lol:

DK, it seems like there is a lot of negativity here recently, not only in the CM forum but on TV generally.

I was talking yesterday to another member and he suggested that a lot of people have had their incomes affected by various current factors and this has forced them to throttle back on their lifestyles and become snipey and caustic. No point in pitying them, adopt the "I'm alright Jack" mentality, ignore them and continue to enjoy this great country for whatever reason it was you relocated here. ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

As a fairly successful - only linguistically speaking mind you - luk krung product, I would like to add my tuppence, as this matter is something very dear to me. My father has spoken in English to me all my life and my mother always speaks Thai. I studied at a Thai school where English study was negligible (more often than not I failed my English classes because the teachers didn't like my smart-arsed corrections of their bad English) and thirty years ago Chiang Mai didn't have such exposure to English-language media. Anyway, my English turned out pretty fine, as has my Thai. I believe it was because of my father's constant use of the language as well as his fun and challenging corrections - making me rush off to the dictionary or encyclopedia as part of the learning game. It was also reading, obsessive, marvellous, enjoyable, eye-opening reading. And lastly, when I hit about 12, I had two hours a week literature/grammar lessons with an excellent farang teacher.

So, I don't think you need any fancy tools, or teachers, just speak to your child and as someone mentioned above, be their correct reference.

Pim as a successful luk krung I'd be interested at which Thai school you studied at?

Reason we relocated here!

Probably because we were not wanted in our own country.

I mean let's have it right, the only way you are accepted in my country nowadays is if you are a foreigner anyway.

If you happen to have been born there and come from there, you got no chance.

Why did you relocate Pikey? sounds like you been on the go a while with a name like that hahaha