Jobs Wonderful Jobs

'Ello

I'm 17 years old and I have AS English and psychology. I decided A levels wasn't for me so I moved to Thailand with my brother and father (my Dad has a Thai wife).

I currently live in Pattaya. What are the chances of me getting a job? I'm thinking very slim :o But I can speak quite alot of Thai if that helps....

Enroll yourself in a TEFL course, and you may have a better chance of finding something.

Also there are Diving companies offering Diver training where you can train right up to instructor level with Internships over a period of months... you should be able to find work then.

totster :o

'Ello

I'm 17 years old and I have AS English and psychology. I decided A levels wasn't for me so I moved to Thailand with my brother and father (my Dad has a Thai wife).

I currently live in Pattaya. What are the chances of me getting a job? I'm thinking very slim  :o  But I can speak quite alot of Thai if that helps....

17, no experience, no education.

Do some travelling around the region while you are based here discover what you love to do and pursue that !! The last thing you want to become is yet another desperate english teacher struggling to "stay" in Thailand. You are lucky, you are young, have family support here....use that as a platform to discover and pursue your passion.

It was the dude above the thread! Why do all the males on here get like lots and lots of replys? Bah.

Oh and I have education! And experience I have. I've worked in quite a few places.

Hmph.

Let me clarify :

education : tertiary qualifications (bachelors, masters , phD etc...),industry certifications

work experience : post graduate roles, 10 years would be a good start, with leadership/management and "expertise" in your industry.

Otherwise, you'll have to fallback on the default farang jobs. With your age you may even have trouble getting these jobs. I dont know how much of thai culture and social understanding you have yet absorbed, but thai social dynamics place a certain emphasis on age....you know the whole "pee" "nong" thing !!

If I was ice maiden's age (I wish!), lived somewhere like Pattaya and had a family behind me (ie, no great need to worry about living expenses), I would be looking for a small business idea. Something easy to set up, easy to run, and something that the tourists would like. Yet somethign that if it failed, there would be no serious loss.

An idea? Set up a small booth or kiosk in a high traffic area and sell freshly squeezed fruit juice, smoothies etc. Sandwiches with farang flavours . . beef and onion, pickles, ham and cheese rolls etc. Hawk them on the beaches etc. Lovely jubbly.

What's to lose?

Can a 17year old get a business visa of some kind?  I dunno.  You're probably right though . . stupid idea.

What do the farangs do re immigration status when they buy businesses?

Asumming no age restricitons....He could incorporate a food distribution business ,pay up the necessary capital, be employed as a "hospitality consultant",get a Non-Imm B,get a single work permit for himself,exnted his non-imm b permits, employ some cheap thai labor to prepare and sell the goods under the guise of his expert consultancy in "boulangerie arrangement science", etc..., etc...

Edited by penelope