Car Rental

saakura

Hi to all of you lucky enough to be living in beautiful Chiangmai. I paln to visit there in November with family (3 adults). We arrive by air from Bangkok on 12th/0900hrs and depart on 15th/1600hrs, again from Chiangmai airport. Upon arrival, we need to rent a car and drive down to Lamphun to attend a wedding reception in the evening. On 13th/am, drive back to the Ratilanna (http://www.ratilannachiangmai.com/) resort in Chiangmai. Would like to rent a decent car (Honda accord or Toyota camry). Can you suggest some reliable place for renting, approximate costs if you know and anything i should be careful of....Also any 'must see' or 'must do' places/things in Chiangmai....not interested in bars or similar kind of entertainment

I agree with whimsy, NORTH WHEELS is a good company, i rented from them in August - very good - no probs. Would definitely rent from them again.

http://www.journeycnx.com/carrent.php?carrental=1

I recommend these people.at the Thappae Gate end of Thappae Road,just round the corner from Art Cafe. Neat website. Competent sevice. Will deliver to Airport. Take care to thoroughly check any marks on the car and make sure you know who to ring in case of accident. They are cheaper than North Wheels but just as professional.They will need a copy of your Passport as well as your Driving Licence.

I agree with whimsy, NORTH WHEELS is a good company, i rented from them in August - very good - no probs. Would definitely rent from them again.

http://www.journeycn...php?carrental=1

I recommend these people.at the Thappae Gate end of Thappae Road,just round the corner from Art Cafe. Neat website. Competent sevice. Will deliver to Airport. Take care to thoroughly check any marks on the car and make sure you know who to ring in case of accident. They are cheaper than North Wheels but just as professional.They will need a copy of your Passport as well as your Driving Licence.

Thanks, will contact them. Neither of them seem to be renting out Accord/Camry (planning to buy one, so wanted to get a feel)..

http://www.journeycn...php?carrental=1

You will need Driving Licence plus International Driving Permit for any one who intends to be in control of the car. You need to amend their standard Hire Agreements generally if you want your wife to drive also. They all require 10,000 Baht security deposit which they debit from you credit card and refund it if they are happy with the vehicle condition on return.

After using the companies recommended and POP I now use Car Rental located in the foyer of the Montri Hotel at Thapae Gate.

Girl is the most professional Cars are immaculately clean (compared with others) service is brilliant.

In March we had a 7 seat Toyota Avensis, 2 years old but looked like it had just left the show room, not good to drive compared to the new Honda City but needed the seats as the kids came home for 2 weeks.

Avis have Camry's. They give a 50% discount on rack rate to anyone arriving by air, the other majors probably do a similar deal. While North Wheels are good, I think any of the major companies with a desk at the airport (Avis, Budget, Hertz, Europcar) would be worth checking out as they would probably be the most convenient option for pickup and drop off. You might like to claim the frequent flyer points too. Price after applying the discount would be similar to the other options in town. Avis's Thailand web site is here

I'd say don't be tempted to go with a small outfit, op, even if prices are cheaper. N.Wheels are good, although vehicles are generally older than the big boys - Budget, Avis et al. All will pick up/drop off at airport, although non have their cars based there.

Avis have Camry's. They give a 50% discount on rack rate to anyone arriving by air, the other majors probably do a similar deal. While North Wheels are good, I think any of the major companies with a desk at the airport (Avis, Budget, Hertz, Europcar) would be worth checking out as they would probably be the most convenient option for pickup and drop off. You might like to claim the frequent flyer points too. Price after applying the discount would be similar to the other options in town. Avis's Thailand web site is here

your mention about earning frequent flier points is interesting. I am actually looking to spend some points...I fly a lot due to the nature of my work and hold a Royal Orchid (Thai Airways) gold card. Usually do not keep track of the points. Except when they send me reminders about points about to expire. In fact, i have booked this trip to Chiangmai using mileage award points. Even booking 3 of us on business calss (which means nothing on such a short flight) still leaves me with many points which will otherwise expire on 31st Dec. Will check if they can be used for renting cars, thanks.

I'd say don't be tempted to go with a small outfit, op, even if prices are cheaper. Budget, Avis et al. All will pick up/drop off at airport, although non have their cars based there.

Rubbish. OK, If you're lazy and don't have access to good advice from people who know, by all means take the easy way and pay for a Brand Name. But a brief glance at Avis website gives me the creeps. I could'nt find any displayed prices. You have to fill in a form and send an email requesting a quote !! How old hat is that and how very suspicious. And its not only the big boys who deliver your car wherever you want it.

Check out Master Car Rental http://www.mastercar...om/en_index.php

Equal to Avis, Budget, Hertz etc and have a network throughout Thailand.

xxxxx Initial pricing does not include VAT or insurance.xxxxx

Here we go again !!

Can't you spare a moment to compare prices?

You are recommending an organisation that quotes NEW HONDA JAZZ 1380baht ++ VAT++ Insurance ( so probably nearer 1500baht+ +) compared to a competent local firm : http://www.journeycnx.com/contact.php which, for the same car and INCLUDING VAT and INSURANCE charges 1000baht per day. Why??unsure.gif

Check out Master Car Rental http://www.mastercar...om/en_index.php

Equal to Avis, Budget, Hertz etc and have a network throughout Thailand.

xxxxx Initial pricing does not include VAT or insurance.xxxxx

Here we go again !!

Can't you spare a moment to compare prices?

You are recommending an organisation that quotes NEW HONDA JAZZ 1380baht ++ VAT++ Insurance ( so probably nearer 1500baht+ +) compared to a competent local firm : http://www.journeycnx.com/contact.php which, for the same car and INCLUDING VAT and INSURANCE charges 1000baht per day. Why??unsure.gif

Higher level of service THROUGHOUT the country.

Variety of vehicles.

Roadside assistance.

24 hour service.

You get what you pay for. You compare prices. I am not the one hiring but only offering a suggestion so do some of your own work.

I'd say don't be tempted to go with a small outfit, op, even if prices are cheaper. Budget, Avis et al. All will pick up/drop off at airport, although non have their cars based there.

Rubbish. OK, If you're lazy and don't have access to good advice from people who know, by all means take the easy way and pay for a Brand Name. But a brief glance at Avis website gives me the creeps. I could'nt find any displayed prices. You have to fill in a form and send an email requesting a quote !! How old hat is that and how very suspicious. And its not only the big boys who deliver your car wherever you want it.

Does that upset you that someone in the know provides sound advice over one that doesn't? I wouldn't say the 'easy way out', I'd say soundest. We're in Thailand now, numb nut... anyone can say they have A1 insurance and whatnot, one has far more comeback from the big boys than some two-bit operation up the road with a handful of cars. Smells of self-promotion.

Anyway, use your head, op, some folk have given you some good pointers here. ;)

Can’t suggest you the site but know some vital things that you should consider at the time of booking of a car:-

1. Check whether the car is insured or not when hiring a car.
  2. Do check two three service providers before selecting the car. This way you can get the best possible deal.
  3. Carefully read the norms related to car rental Company you are hiring from.

All these steps insure that you are going for the best possible deal.

Can't suggest you the site but know some vital things that you should consider at the time of booking of a car:-

1. Check whether the car is insured or not when hiring a car.
  2. Do check two three service providers before selecting the car. This way you can get the best possible deal.
  3. Carefully read the norms related to car rental Company you are hiring from.

All these steps insure that you are going for the best possible deal.

Thanks, good advise

Are you sure about the 50% discount?? Seems quite a lot and find no mention about it on their websites.