Don'T Say 'Same Same'

saraburioz

Why? It's like a series. Spread out the fun. It is an excellent concept. Looking forward to future topics on the theme. This could be the new Glitterman and his moon cheese series.

Returning from Google I have to conclude that I have missed out on much in life.

yes I have noted the ever increasing topics on what one should and should not do in Thailand.

But name calling on this forum is not really one of those things that you should do, so regardless of what you think of the OP, best keep it to yourself, cheers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m going to try this in front of my inlaws…

I’ll Wai the Waitress, refer to myself as Khun…

Use phrases such as Same-Same…

Point at things with my lips…

Use the word Mung when referring people…

And watch in Horror as the realisation dawns on my In-Laws that my Thai cultural and linguistic education has been gleaned from the Girlie bars the length and breadth of Thailand….

I think this thread is very very odd.

Thais have their own language (at least 3 actually) and it seems strange to put them down for using certain practices in their native language when using English. I would wager most folks posting here are not fluent in Thai and if they do attempt to speak Thai they will likely have the sentence structure wrong.

As for English speakers picking up on ThiEnglish .. I don't think it has anything to do with spending too much time in the bars but simply spending a lot of time around Thais who are not fluent in English ... which is the vast majority of them. They only speak English so so because it has many many more rules than the Thai language and Education here is not the best unless you have money.

But I do believe this subject has been covered over and over but we continue to go on and on about it.

Lets just be thankful we don't repeat words in English.

I would argue against the idea that English has "many many more rules than the Thai language," they just have different rules. Try learning to read and you will see.

I think that proper English should be used when speaking with Thais, you should not be bothered how they speak though (I would not go around correcting the Thai's English unless I was their friend or teacher) but you should reinforce good English. They will still understand you!! To do otherwise is idiotic and irresponsible.

I certainly dont hope I appear to be siding with the op :o as these posts are getting obnoxious and redundant. Enough people including myself have responded to them though :lol:

And watch in Horror as the realisation dawns on my In-Laws that my Thai cultural and linguistic education has been gleaned from the Girlie bars the length and breadth of Thailand….

I must be getting old but who said to refer to people as Mung? I can't find it.

I'm going to try this in front of my inlaws…

I'll Wai the Waitress, refer to myself as Khun…

He's thinking ahead, and providing helpful pointers for the OP's future threads, in the spirit of kind and helpful co-operation in which we always post

SC

Just to let the op know; where I'm from calling someone a "plonker" makes you sound like a complete jackass!

kilgore, please don't post in my threads again - thank you.

'siew siew' is one my favourite Thai words meaning so so.

I like my whiskey 'priew priew'.

There are manyThai words repeated but same same is very common.

Just to let the op know; where I'm from calling someone a "plonker" makes you sound like a complete jackass!

I kind of thought that the threads belonged to ThaiVisa. I didn't know that we had ownership rights when we started a thread. Now I have to think of what thread to start myself so I can tell others if they can post there or not. :)

Not nearly as much of a giveaway than otherwise 'respectable' looking folks who use 'pum puey' out of the blue.

:)

Well spotted Heng. Anyone using 'same same ' and 'pum puey' in the same sentence must have walked right out the 'pink pussy bar'. The other one that must be mentioned is 'boom boom' - ok for Basil Brush but not aanyone else.

I kind of thought that the threads belonged to ThaiVisa. I didn't know that we had ownership rights when we started a thread. Now I have to think of what thread to start myself so I can tell others if they can post there or not. :)

Thank you Lucki; apparently the op has attempted to hijack the forum in yet another way; perhaps I could respond with "please don't post in our forum :lol: "

Saraburioz just remember; you reap what you sow :D

And by the way Saraburioz, thats Khun Trout to you :lol:

I love a bit of nguu nguu plaa plaa action...

Literally it translates as snake snake fish fish... but it is baby talk like poo poo or tum tum...

Thanks for that explanation, and this is one of the confusing things about the Thai language, meanings can change depending on different situations I find.

I had nguu nguu plaa plaa explained to me by a Thai, and he said it is meant to describe someone who tries his hand at everything but isn't very good at anything.

Sorry to burst both your bubbles there 'Thaddeus" and "Daewoo", but actually if the truth were to be told (and it is because I'm telling you now), the phrase 'snake, snake, fish, fish' (งู ๆ ปลา ๆ); spell it in engrish how ever you want to do in karaoke engrish, is a VERY common thai idiom. It means; not proficiently, or not to a high level of competence. It is most often used when referring to a thais ability to speak engrish, or a foreigners ability in speaking thai, but can be used to denote anything which someone isn't very proficient in. It is neither baby talk, nor denotes a "jack of all trades master of none".

Interestingly enough the phrase 'banana, banana' (กล้วย ๆ); again, use what ever karaoke engrish that floats your boat, means; something which is done effortlessly, or without thinking, kind of like the idiom 'a piece of cake'.

And now back to the ever informative and meaningful thread of what NOT to do while living here in and amongst the thais. ..

I think once 'saraburioz' (which I guess means the auzzie in Saraburi Province) gets done with this series we will all be better for it. Perhaps he can compile all the common "fox-pawz" <sic> (faux pas) foreigners can fall into here and come up with a nifty handbook called "What NOT to do in Thailand". By the sheer views on his topics he seems to have a ready made market of avid fans.

FWIW: doubling adjectives or descriptive terms in the thai language is so common as to be a non-issue for anyone who even knows a smattering of thai. It's actually called mother language interference; when language rules of your mother tongue are used in speaking a dissimilar language. Thais use it when speaking about possessive's too, 'mother me', 'sister me', 'friend me' because in thai the possessive word comes AFTER the noun not before it like engrish.

Native engrish speakers also suffer from this affliction when constructing sentences in thai using engrish sentence word order, as the words are outta sequence when translated directly into thai. A normal thai hearing a foreigner speak this way would hear it as just plain gibberish with no meaning.

IMHO; about the only thing worse than foreigners who use word doubling, are ones who speak either baby-talk thai-engrish to their significant others or the ones who speak two words in thai, then a word or two in engrish, then switch back to thai; due to either a lack of thai vocab or too much time spent in questionable areas of bangkok.

And now back to this thread already in progress. .. ;)

Edited by tod-daniels

And by the way Saraburioz, thats Khun Trout to you :lol:

Same same... :jap:

FOr the OP:

I would suggest that you revise your sentence structure for your most helpful threads; at first, I thought that you were admonishing only those of us that were plonkers to refrain from saying "same same" etc. but on reading the replies and subsequent discussion, I now understand that you meant

"Don't say 'same same' - it makes you look like a plonker"

Same same, but less ambiguous.

SC

No one on this thread yet, but it was covered in the 'Khun thread' I think...

That will be coming in one of the next threads along with 'Don't point your lips at things' it makes you look like a gibbon... etc etc....

Funny threads anyway...

Not nearly as much of a giveaway than otherwise 'respectable' looking folks who use 'pum puey' out of the blue.

:)

Well spotted Heng. Anyone using 'same same ' and 'pum puey' in the same sentence must have walked right out the 'pink pussy bar'. The other one that must be mentioned is 'boom boom' - ok for Basil Brush but not aanyone else.

LMAO: Lucky I wasn't drinking anything... it would've been spat out over my keyboard....

What is incorrect about "pum puey"?

All I know is that girls looking for money will call me pum puey instead of uan till I am completely drained of cash.

0041-0504-2114-0559.jpg

Daft topic, Use your loaf with ANY communication, Thais say to ME same same and for sure understand a farang saying the same. :unsure:

COMMUNICATION is indeed the key word. It is about being understood and also conversing on a given level. Going goo-goo-goo to a 3 month old baby is acceptable and appropriate for communicating at that level. Saying goo-goo-goo to ANYONE else is plainly ridiculous.

Same same is OK in the appropriate situation.

I don't mind when someone uses Tinglish/Thaiglish. That might be all s/he knows. But, I do think "plonker" when someone uses Brit slang to denounce non-Brit slang on an international forum...

Can anyone explain to me why Thais do that? I always found it odd. The mother of the Thai kids I take care of always says "children children" even when sending an e-mail. I get no logical explanation from her, so I just accept it.

Probably the same same reason they say cha cha, reo reo, arroy arroy, jing jing, sabai sabai, suay suay, jai yen yen, tuk tuk or ...

I've been told that one of the reasons Thais repeat a word (at least in some of the examples here) is to change it from an adjective to an adverb. For example, cha=slow and cha cha = slowly, Jing=real and jing jing =really, reo=quick and reo reo=quickly, etc. Can anyone confirm this?

I love a bit of nguu nguu plaa plaa action...

Literally it translates as snake snake fish fish... but it is baby talk like poo poo or tum tum...

Thanks for that explanation, and this is one of the confusing things about the Thai language, meanings can change depending on different situations I find.

I had nguu nguu plaa plaa explained to me by a Thai, and he said it is meant to describe someone who tries his hand at everything but isn't very good at anything.

Sorry to burst both your bubbles there 'Thaddeus" and "Daewoo", but actually if the truth were to be told (and it is because I'm telling you now), the phrase 'snake, snake, fish, fish' (งู ๆ ปลา ๆ); spell it in engrish how ever you want to do in karaoke engrish, is a VERY common thai idiom. It means; not proficiently, or not to a high level of competence.

If you could actually summon up the energy required to read the second and penultimate paragraph of my incredibly lengthy post, I think you will find that my bubble remains very much intact, thank you very big.

Do you think it may be more appropriate for you to change your first name to Jack, Mr Daniels?

Don't capitalize the "T" at the end of "Don't", even when it's in a title. You look like an ignorant wanke_r.

Sorry, I could not resist and sorry if someone beat me to it.

Most people wouldn't try to beat you to that as most of us have worked out that the forum software does that for you.

Shall I add some derogatory term to the end of this post.

Nah, can't be arsed.

I Do Not know what you could possibly do about that.

Sorry to burst both your bubbles there 'Thaddeus" and "Daewoo", but actually if the truth were to be told (and it is because I'm telling you now), the phrase 'snake, snake, fish, fish' (งู ๆ ปลา ๆ); spell it in engrish how ever you want to do in karaoke engrish, is a VERY common thai idiom. It means; not proficiently, or not to a high level of competence.

Khop Khun maa khrup Ajarn Tod... I was close...

I note also, and perhaps relevant to this thread that you even used the Thai character which is specifically for a strange case where, in the Thai language THEY SAY THE SAME WORD TWICE...

Are are you you lot lot taking taking the the piss piss, just just cause cause I I got got a a stutter stutter :D :D

Well no ones ever seen what I mean from the age of nnnnnThirteen we've all been caught in mmmMouth trap, so join me now for the StStStStSt Stutter Rap...

morris_minor_and_the_majors-stutter_rap_(no_sleep_til_bedtime).jpg