Speedboat Runs Over And Drags Diver

pmgthailand

Ok, anybody some practical ideas?

With so many speedboats, longtails, diveboats and ferries operating in and around Phuket. I would have thought that the marine police unit could do a little more enforcement of the regulations already in force. Stop selling captain's licenses and actually make it more difficult to get one, like passing a written and practical test like had to. Monitoring and enforcement in and around Phuket is virtually non-existent. I have never even seen a marine police boat in 5 years. I don't even think that they have one.

They are very short of staff. Why dont you join them as marine Police Volunteer? They do have some vessels, but they would also be happy to use your boat. phone 076211883

If you are really concerned about marine safety, do something about it. Contribute:D

Lannatyne,

You are again putting the problem in the hands of the diveshops and their boats, and that is not where the problem lies, nor are they in a position to solve it.

Agree with PMG that to limit the number would be a good idea, but that will never be reinforced. There is a marine police boat BTW, sometimes used to board diveboats and check for work permits. At least I think it was a marine police boat used for that.

Oh, please, stevenl, you don't half talk <deleted> sometimes.

I'm not at all saying that the problem is that of the diveshops solely to rectify. The problem IS with the people on boats, who by any measure are yourpeople, either by way of employment or sub-contract. The expected behaviour of boatmen around the whole planet is governed by port regulations and international rules The fact that these are largely ignored here is probably down to 3 reasons - a) Lack of enforcement, B) Lack of awareness, c) If are aware, then a disregard of them

What you are definitely able to do is to realise you're in a position to ensure your people are fully aware of boat behavior standards, examples of which I gave earlier.

I wouldn't expect for one moment that any action you take will totally solve the problem by making Phuket waters 100% safe. But, what you can do is accept that you're in a position to help solve it, and partially improve a dangerous situation.

See my posts and PMG posts: the problem are the speedboats, not the diveboats. So again referring to the diveboats, slow going and taking care of everybody in the water already, with your solution won't solve anything because that is not where the problem lies.

The close to shore fast moving speedboats, speeding and ignoring everybody else but themselves, are the problem.

See my posts and PMG posts: the problem are the speedboats, not the diveboats. So again referring to the diveboats, slow going and taking care of everybody in the water already, with your solution won't solve anything because that is not where the problem lies.

The close to shore fast moving speedboats, speeding and ignoring everybody else but themselves, are the problem.

Okay, it's obvious that a TV member in the dive industry doesn't want anything to do with this. Change your name to Mr. Teflon, I suggest, as you don't even want to try and improve matters...........just 'move it on'.

You just can't talk with some people. Over and out.(BTW, 'over and out' is just for effect - with my VHF licence, I do know that that is not a proper marine radio phrase. Do your staff know that, I wonder??)

Edited by Lannatyne

Okay, it's obvious that a TV member in the dive industry doesn't want anything to do with this. Change your name to Mr. Teflon, I suggest, as you don't even want to try and improve matters...........just 'move it on'.

You just can't talk with some people. Over and out.

:bah: Edited by stevenl

You just can't talk with some people. Over and out.

:bah:

Right, that's it!!

See you at the Honey Bar, 5 o'clock.

:D

YOUR problem is the speed boats, the speed boats see YOU (dive boats/divers) as a problem. They are unable to see where you have divers, cause your to lazy to point it out.

In waters with more traffic than here but also probably more qualified captains, it would be neglecting safety to have divers out and making others aware of it with a flag only. Dinghys/ribs/jetskies/bouyose are a minimum. You restrict your divers to be on one side of the vessel only, and make sure everyone else can see that. They pass on the other side. .

Just like a dinghy sail regatta needs some ribs/boats to show others where the game is going on

If you as dive boat operators want to increase the safety for your divers/customers, do something about it. Give the speed boats directions to avoid your divers.

Wish I had some pics to post on how this goes on in really crowded waters without to much conflict of interest:)

miss boating, being a yachtsman, just dont miss the hazzle and cost of owning one:D

Edited by katabeachbum

YOUR problem is the speed boats, the speed boats see YOU (dive boats/divers) as a problem. They are unable to see where you have divers, cause your to lazy to point it out.

If you as dive boat operators want to increase the safety for your divers/customers, do something about it. Give the speed boats directions to avoid your divers.

The first part is true, MY problem are the speedboats. But the second line is not, because the divers are 'protected' by a diveboat on descend, and on ascend they have a marker buoy, so the speedboats know all the time where the divers are. Also, the diveboats sail more or less according to international regulations (speed), whereas the speedboats simply ignore these regulations, thereby creating possibly hazardous situations. Also for snorkelers from other speedboats by the way, because they simply can't see them.

The true professionals don't cause these problems by the way, like the speedboat drivers from the Racha Resort or the local longtail fishers. It is the cowboys from the cheapo snorkeling trips that have to prove their manlihood by going as fast as they can as close to shore as they can that are the problem.

On the other hand, sometimes inexperienced diveinstructors who are thrown in the water without any coaching can also contribute to a potential hazardous situation. And I think there is much more to be gained by the dive community as a whole by proper training and coaching for new staff than in the seamanship of the captains.

I'll try and get some picture the next time I am at Phi Phi.

Love all those yacht guys in their shiny captain's costumes. Reminds of the (mainly Russian) guys at the pier in the morning going fishing for the day.

Edited by stevenl

Love all those yacht guys in their shiny captain's costumes. Reminds of the (mainly Russian) guys at the pier in the morning going fishing for the day.

yeah, typically wearing worn out dockside shoes, sun bleached shorts, used to be blue piquet shirt and not shaved for 2 days:)

in a 20-200million baht boat

despite the dresscode, still miss it sometimes:D

If I ever get a boat again, it will be a small and cheapish 28-35 feet +40 knots, and I will pass the diveboats on the side they indicate is free of divers

post-81971-054189600 1286877491_thumb.jp

Edited by katabeachbum