Cataract Surgery Help

antony77

I have been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes and have contacted several hospitals in Bangkok but can find none that can offer me treatment that I can afford. All were about Bt75,000 per eye

However the "eye Doctor " who has his eye clinic next to Lotus (Village Market) in Hua Hin has offered to do the operation at BT35,000 per eye and assured me he as all the latest equipment and facilities at his clinic. He speaks excellent English He also showed me the latest IOL lens. He said he can do the operation cheaply since he did not have all the overheads of a hospital. Can anyone please comment on this offer and does anyone have experience with him. As I live near Hua Hin it would be far more convenient to have it done there.

Comment? "Scary," sez I!!

I've had both eyes done for cataracts but at Rutnin Eye Hospital, and yes, a bit costly, but didn't want to screw around with them.

The doc at Rutnin identified the potential need for the cataract surgery perhaps 3-5 years BEFORE I had it done. His comment was that if my vision in one eye wasn't bothering me, put off the surgery until it was. And DO NOT do both eyes at the same time! He also pointed out that there's an inherent risk in ANY surgery so if the op on the first eye went bad for some reason, the op on the other one would be postponed as long as possible. In the event, the first eye went fine, and the second eye was done 2-3 years later.

In your case, I'd suggest asking the doc at the clinic for the names and tel #s of patients so you can contact them for their impressions of the quality of care there.

Mac

Wheres that thread from a few months ago about the goverment hospital where a few people went blind from cataract operations

because the equipment was not clean?

I know the OP is not having it done in a goverment hospital,but you have to be careful

I had one eye done in the Philippines (Cebu city) last year.

Fantastic surgeon and a whole lot cheaper than Thailand.

The implanted lenses come from USA 45,000 pesos (31,000 baht) all up or Pakistan 35,000 (24,000 baht) all up.

Why the big price difference I don't know as the product is made from the same material in the same machinery.

The doctor himself said there was no difference but that some Philippino people always opted for the most expensive.

Look up larrazabaleye in Google.

Kenny

I've had both eyes done for cataracts but at Rutnin Eye Hospital, and yes, a bit costly, but didn't want to screw around with them.

The doc at Rutnin identified the potential need for the cataract surgery perhaps 3-5 years BEFORE I had it done. His comment was that if my vision in one eye wasn't bothering me, put off the surgery until it was. And DO NOT do both eyes at the same time! He also pointed out that there's an inherent risk in ANY surgery so if the op on the first eye went bad for some reason, the op on the other one would be postponed as long as possible. In the event, the first eye went fine, and the second eye was done 2-3 years later.

In your case, I'd suggest asking the doc at the clinic for the names and tel #s of patients so you can contact them for their impressions of the quality of care there.

Mac

Rutnin is a good place to do the surgery.Yes there should be a time between the surgery of both eyes.But if you are very shortsighted,I had to wear lenses minus 9 dioptries, than the second eye should be done as soon as possible it is more convinient.

Mac

Mac, How much was the cost for the Cataract surgery on each eye?

Also how long was your eye bandaged after the Surgery?

Best Wishes. J

I had both my eye's done in Chanthaburi Bangkok hospital and they charged 28000 per eye with follow ups included. They would only do one eye at time then it was a three month wait for the second eye. If I would have known the diff. it made I would have done it years ago.

One of the things that affects the cost is the type of artificial lens implanted.

What is the difference with the lens & does it really make much difference?

My other question was the period of time the eye is covered up after the surgery?

Best Wishes.J

One of the things that affects the cost is the type of artificial lens implanted.

What is the difference with the lens & does it really make much difference?

My other question was the period of time the eye is covered up after the surgery?

Best Wishes.J

Had a patch for two day's but could have taken it off in one..........

• 4 weeks later...

yes I visited the eye doctor in Hua Hin too and have to go back for examination of the rettina, but somehow not sure if I want to go any further. He charged 600 for the initial examination which I thought was over the top. I was the only client during the 2 hours I was there....... I would be interested if you were able to contact any former patients. He seemed nice enough but was not that cheaper than other more acceptable places - 35,000 for the op but when you added the coat of the lens........