Airport Train To Ratchathewi Station

ron1818

Hi, my wife and i are going to Bangkok in November. This is our visit to Bangkok and we are going to stay at Asia Hotel which is located next to Ratchthewi Station. Please advise us whether the airport train will take us to the hotel or have we got to transit at a different station. Your help will be much appreciated.

Hi,

If you take the Express train from the airport to Payathai Express station, you will be about 100m from Payathai BTS station. Take the walk-way to Payathai BTS and travel one stop on the On-Nut line to Rachathewi.

However, it may be more convenient and even cheaper to take a public taxi directly to the hotel as 2 tickets on the express would probably be more than the taxi fare (which would be around 250 to 300 B, plus toll fees). I say more convenient, because there is quite a wait between trains and also it is quite a distance from the express station to BTS station, which includes use of stairs at Rachathewi station - so it is quite an effort if you have heavy suitcases. You should google the Bangkok BTS map for your reference anyway as you will probably be using it to get around once you get here.

Cheers

Edited by richardt1808

Just a quick correction to Richard's post... There's no such thing as Payathai Express station. The terminus for the Airport Express is Makkasan Station which is not connected to the BTS. If you want to take the airport train take the City Line to the end at Payathai. While it takes a few extra minutes (there are a number of stops) it is considerably cheaper than a taxi. The rest of Richard's post about taking the connecting bridge to the BTS and there being stairs at Ratchatewi BTS Station are correct.

If it's your first visit to Thailand and don't speak Thai - it may be easier to take the train since you don't have to worry about paying tolls or any of the other hassles that taxis often incur in Thailand. Very few taxi drivers speak English while the airport train and the BTS are very well signed in English. It will also be cheaper (though taxis are pretty cheap compared to the west!) if you take the airport rail link since it's on a introductory rate until the new year.

I think Richard's main point is correct though - if you have lots of bags - take a taxi (and add 50 baht to the metre price which is the pick-up charge and prepare 45 baht for the two tolls you will have to pay from the airport to central Bangkok) but if you don't have big heavy bags then take the rail option which is hassle free and usually faster if there's any traffic.

Enjoy your trip :-)

barryFunk

The free Bangkok maps you can pick up at the airport in several locations will help you greatly in terms of using the "airport train", BTS or MRT. Those maps are to scale for the most part and often have stations in both English and Thai. While I most often take the metered taxi from BKK to downtown hotels, the airport train ride into Bangkok gives you a different and more interesting view of Bangkok. It is a pleasant ride, but luggage would be a deciding factor. The train staff are very helpful, signs and announcements in Thai and English. Enjoy.

Boarding the BTS with luggage at Phayathai is a nightmare that I won't repeat. Maybe it's better at night, but I won't be doing it at 8am on a Friday again..

Anytime is better than morning or evening peak hour, especially if you caught the Siam bound train. However, your just as likely to be stuck in a mountain of traffic going nowhere at that time as well.

If your bags are on wheels then I recommend the train. Go to the basement of the airport. Get on city train to Phaya Thai. (15 baht each) Get off at Phaya Thai station (last stop) Take lift down to sky train connecting platform. Walk across bridge to skytrain( less then 50 meters) Buy skytrain ticket(+/- 20 baht each) take escalator up to platform) going to On Nut. At Ratchthewi( one stop) you must go down 1 flight of stairs. Asia Hotel has a connecting bridge. Total cost about 40 baht each and less then 1 hour door to door.

P

P.S. Last trip from airport( 2 weeks ago) came in too late for train and took taxi meter. Driver hit meter and showed 35 baht as normal. However meter was up to 50 baht before we were even out of the airport. Should stay at 35 baht for first kilometer. I watched the meter clock at about 2 times the distance traveled. I travel this route frequently. I did not say anything until I reached my stop at Suhkimvit Soi 50 Meter showed 450 baht( Norm around 200 baht) I got out and called over a police officer on a motorbike. The taxi driver drove off with the door open and I paid zero.

P

Just a side note, if you are using the city line from airport with luggage there are lifts in all the stations going to ground level.

Best Regards

ragandboneman

I'd be glad if you could tell me where the lift is at Ramkhamheng station. Seems none of the travellers including myself could find it. rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...

If you take the Express train from the airport to Payathai Express station, you will be about 100m from Payathai BTS station. Take the walk-way to Payathai BTS and travel one stop on the On-Nut line to Rachathewi.

I thought the Express train ends at Makkasan station without stops..and City train stops at Payathai thai..?

Did you read through the thread? Two people 1 month ago already gave advice, correct advice I might add.

Your info is WRONG. The Express service only runs to Makkassan Terminal. The City Line service runs to Phayathai station, as chuang says.

Pls check your info if your going to respond to a query such a s this as you could end up getting people very confused. You could easily just read through the main Airport Line thread which has links to the SRT website if you are unsure.