Noppadon Says Thaksin Won't Sue Author Of 'Bad Exes' Article

webfact

... appointed Senator Prasarn Maruekapitak pointed out ...

The list highlights the misconduct of former leaders in various countries, including former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroder, former president Jose Maria Aznar of Spain, Nigerian Ex-president Olesegun Obasanjo, former president Joseph Estrada of the Philippines and lastly, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

How was/is the feedback and reaction to it in Germany, Spain, Nigeria, Philippines? Some members form these countries here?

Actually is being in that company not much more worse than many other kind of listings of politician and leaders. Like the TIME Man of the Year or a couple of nobel peace prize winners.

And the crosscheck ... What does the Foreign Policy Magazine says about Abhisit? Wasn't listed as a runner up in the failed states leaders competition a few month ago?

Guess the appointed Senator didn't read that issue and also forgot that in general foreign journalists get all wrong and don't understand Thailand.

Edited by SergeiY

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As if he had a choice. Sorry, the USA believes in freedom of speech especially for public figures. And the article was written in Forbes, the owner is not exactly a poor man to try and intimidate with a lawsuit. Works in Thailand, but not in the good ol' USA.

FYI: The article in question was in the Foreign Policy Magazine and not Forbes. That are two different publications.

This topic has the odd head line that Thaksin lawyer said he will NOT sue. Blame The Nation for that odd headline.

And Thaskin lawyer offer a reward of One Million Baht per each evidence for the accusation in the FP article his lawyer pointed out as not true.

So that is not a libel or defamation suit but the opposite. Something were the journalists who wrote about these claims or any other person can proof that is true can cash in One Million. Not bad, hey. I would go for that money if i could.

On the foreignpolicy website it's just

"Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year",

but the part

"Although Thaksin was vocally supportive of the red shirts -- he once called into a rally and promised "to make all Thais rich" if his supporters were able to regain political power -- he denies funding their efforts."

seems much more damaging. Maybe k. Noppadon should should start to sue because of this claim ? I

Did´nt he also said in one of his call ins that he will come back and fight side by side with the Reds.

For me the Red Movment is a cult and mr. T. is the God.

One Million. Not bad, hey. I would go for that money if i could.

It figures that you alone would be trusting enough in Thaksin that you would actually rely upon and expect him to fulfill a promise. :rolleyes:

Hey, why not try it at least. Nothing to lose. If he don't pay the money i just have another story about Thaksin and can him expose once more.

But i don't even know under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany and nobody here will tell me. :-(

"Although Thaksin was vocally supportive of the red shirts -- he once called into a rally and promised "to make all Thais rich" if his supporters were able to regain political power -- he denies funding their efforts."

Didn't he also say in one of his call-ins that he will come back and fight side by side with the Reds.

For me the Red Movement is a cult and mr. T. is the God.

excerpt of:

Thaksin calls for uprising (now with translation)

The Nation - March 30, 2009

"My dear brothers, I'm ready.

I'm ready to walk into Thailand and we walk together"

Full speech and video here:

callin.png

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/nationvdo/showvdo.php?cateid=13&id=2060

It figures that you alone would be trusting enough in Thaksin that you would actually rely upon and expect him to fulfill a promise. :rolleyes:

Hey, why not try it at least. Nothing to lose. If he don't pay the money i just have another story about Thaksin and can him expose once more.

But i don't even know under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany and nobody here will tell me. :-(

Perhaps just Chinese whispers. http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4318954,00.html

Perhaps just Chinese whispers. http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4318954,00.html

The article says nothing about that Thaksin was under a false name in Germany.

What you mean with Chinese whisper? that some people like the author of that article got their "facts" and rumours mixed up in the end and reported some fiction . like in Dan River style or something like that?

No chance to get the One Million?

UPDATE

BAD EXES

Thaksin did not live illegally in Germany: Noppadon

By The Nation

The legal adviser to Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday issued a statement disputing an article in a US-based online magazine saying that the former prime minister had entered Germany under a false name and was using fake passports.

Noppadon Pattama has also offered Bt1 million to anyone who proves the claim.

"I can vouch that the former prime minister has never used a false name or a false passport. Anyone who has evidence to prove he has done so will be given Bt1 million," Noppadon said.

He added that Thaksin, who is currently on a self-imposed exile overseas, once lived in Germany for a short period after obtaining a visa.

The website, www.foreignpolicy.com, ran an article titled "Bad exes" this month about five former government leaders who failed to "devote their lives to making a positive difference in the world, or at least fade away into obscurity", after losing power.

Thaksin is named in the article along with former Philippine president Joseph Estrada, Germany's Gerhard Schroeder, former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar, and former Nigerian president Olesegun Obasanjo.

As for the ex-Thai leader, the article said: "Since being deposed in a 2006 coup amid allegations of graft and human-rights abuses, Thaksin has lived a peripatetic existence … Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year and has used illegally received passports from a number of other countries as well."

The online magazine is run by an affiliate of the Washington Post Company.

Noppadon, who served as the foreign minister in the pro-Thaksin government of Samak Sundaravej, said yesterday that he believed the website was aimed at discrediting the fugitive former leader. He added that he would write to the magazine's management to explain the matter and ask them to publish his letter on the website.

Democrat Party spokesman Theptai Senapong said the article only proved that Thaksin's bad reputation had become known internationally.

"I hope this article will make his supporters and people in the Thaksin regime become better informed," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-12

Someone knows here some facts or not?

Terribly sorry and all that, but it's this a rhetorical question ?

Under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany? That is the One Million Baht question. ;-).

Germany revokes residence permit for Thaksin

Thailand's former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, is no longer welcome in Germany. A bureaucratic blunder had allowed him to reside legally in Bonn for half a year, despite his name being on a blacklist.

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra spent six months almost unnoticed in the former German capital Bonn.

Though declared a persona non grata, Thaksin managed to enter Germany on December 29, 2008 using a Schengen visa issued in France. It allows a person to travel through much of the European Union on a single visa.

Bonn authorities then issued the residence permit for Thaksin, who used his German lawyer's address. Federal officials only learned about it in April and ordered it revoked.

"We asked Bonn to revoke the permit and they responded immediately," Hanns Schumacher, Germany's ambassador to Thailand, told Reuters on Wednesday.

Bonn authorities said Thaksin's name had not been on a list of people barred from Germany and he had presented all the necessary documents. This included a certificate from a German federal justice agency saying he had no criminal record. He had also proved he had adequate funds to live and a valid passport.

Officials said the absence of his name from the list of barred persons was the result of a data-entry oversight by staff of the German foreign ministry.

"We informed the lawyer that the permit was revoked and should Thaksin still be in Germany, his stay would be illegal and he would face detention," Schumacher said.

Options are waning

The former telecoms tycoon, who led Thailand for close to six years, was ousted from Thailand in a military coup in 2006. He was convicted in absentia of corruption and has fled a two-year jail term at home.

Germany is the latest country to shun the former leader, who continues to roam the globe with a variety of passports and elude Thai authorities who say they are trying to extradite him. Britain revoked his visa last year.

Bangkok has sought extradition agreements with the United Arab Emirates and Hong Kong, where Thaksin has spent time since fleeing the country while on bail. His current whereabouts are unknown.

The German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung said the former leader was now traveling on a Nicaraguan diplomatic passport. A Thai foreign ministry official said Thaksin would be arrested if he returned to Thailand. His Thai passport has been revoked.

sac/Reuters/AP/dpa

Noppadon, who served as the foreign minister in the pro-Thaksin government of Samak Sundaravej

Worth remembering that Noppadon himself is banned from politics for five years as a member of the People Power Party executive board for committing electoral fraud.

Meanwhile, the other paper has a report this morning that Noppadon is writing to the Foreign Policy magazine to get them to print a correction of their "untruths." :cheesy:

If Thaksin didn't live illegally in Thailand, why was he kicked out?

It may have been a bureaucratic blunder and it may not have been his fault, but it was still illegal.

But, was his statement that he had no criminal record a lie? That would have definitely meant he was there illegally.

If Thaksin didn't live illegally in Thailand, why was he kicked out?

It may have been a bureaucratic blunder and it may not have been his fault, but it was still illegal.

But, was his statement that he had no criminal record a lie? That would have definitely meant he was there illegally.

I'm afraid you're slightly-mistaken, if you believe that Takki was "kicked out", he left (with the court's permission) to attend the start of the Olympics in China and then failed-to-return, forfeiting his bail. Hence his current fugitive-from-justice status.

No "bureaucratic blunder", definitely illegal, and of his own volition. :oB)

My guess is whybother made a typo - replace the word "Thailand" with the word "Germany":

If Thaksin didn't live illegally in Germany, why was he kicked out?

Fugitive Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not sue writer of a US magazine who listed him among "Bad Exes," but instead will write to explain facts, Thaksin's personal spokesman Noppadon Pattama said Monday.

I can only assume that soon we'll be gifted with another story from spin-doctor Robert A. By now k. Thaksin knows that's the way to go in the 'civilised' world ;) . I only wonder if a separate refutation in Thai will be forthcoming :huh:

I have been labouring under the impression that anybody can ask that criminal charges be brought, and also sue in a civil court, in cases of alleged libel or slander. The veracity of the allegation/comment/article is not a factor in arriving at a judgment. The sole consideration is whether a person's reputation has been damaged.  

Can any eminence appraise me of the true situation?  

My guess is whybother made a typo - replace the word "Thailand" with the word "Germany":

Could well be, re-reading his post, in which case 'my bad' for taking it as-written. :jap:

But isn't it nice to see DL winning an award at last ? ! Perhaps they might ask his "good friends" Dubya & Bliar to present it ! B)

Correct ... :jap:

Thaksin's Lawyer Comments on Client's "Worst-Former-Leader" Title

Noppadol Pattama, a legal adviser to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is attempting to repudiate claims made in an article published in Foreign Policy Magazine listing Thaksin as among the world's worst former leaders.

Noppadol Pattama, a legal adviser to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra commented on the article published in Foreign Policy Magazine, listing Thaksin among the five “bad” former World leaders. The article claims that Thaksin has used an illegally-obtained passport and alias to reside in Germany, which Noppadol says is unfounded.

Noppadol has offered one million baht for any evidence that the former premier has used fake names or illegal passports while in self-imposed exile. The legal adviser said that Thaksin would surely have been recognized if he were seen there, going on to say that the article was aimed at discrediting his client.

Noppadol also played down the article, saying that it was a short article that only briefly mentioned the five World leaders. The legal adviser also plans to send a letter to the magazine demanding they print a correction.

Noppadol was scornful, saying that he did not know for sure whether any Thai politician were involved in publishing the story, but insisted that the author had received false information.

When asked about Thaksin's alleged alias, “Takky”, Noppadol responded that he has seen the name before in many Thai news reports, but that it had no legitimate grounds

Noppadol has also pointed out that Thaksin only has passports from Nicaragua and Montenegro. The legal adviser to the former premier added that the Thai government's persecution and the false news report have had no effect on his client's daily life or businesses.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-12

footer_n.gif

Someone knows here some facts or not?

Terribly sorry and all that, but it's this a rhetorical question ?

Under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany? That is the One Million Baht question. ;-).

Germany revokes residence permit for Thaksin

Thailand's former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, is no longer welcome in Germany. A bureaucratic blunder had allowed him to reside legally in Bonn for half a year, despite his name being on a blacklist.

The article says nothing about a false name.

It say actually that he was legally in Germany - at least until his visa was revoked.

Mhh. Is that true?

Under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany?

What was your previous nick here before you got banned?

My thoughts exactly....

What is your problem dudes?

All i have is that question: "Under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany?"

Can you answer that or not? Is it not allowed to ask questions? Want keep the money for yourself? I would give a party, everyone invited, even if you are banned.

• 3 weeks later...

Thaksin's shill in Dubai speaks out on the article:

REBUTTAL

BY JANE FOLEY | OCTOBER 27, 2010

Don't Attack Thaksin

The former prime minister is the victim of a smear campaign

Joshua E. Keating's article "Bad Exes" was one of the shoddiest and glib pieces of journalism we have seen for some years.

In its original uncorrected form it contained a number of inaccuracies, including that Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister of Thailand, had "lived under a false name in Germany" and had used "illegally received passports from a number of other countries". This is categorically untrue. An award of $1 Million will be given to Keating or anyone else for that matter that can provide genuine evidence to back up such ridiculous claims.

Shinawatra was the only prime minister in Thailand's history to serve a full parliamentary term and be re-elected. His government was also the first that was not a coalition. His reforms to the improve the economy of the country and eradicate poverty, improve the education system, introduce affordable healthcare for all Thai citizens, along with his pioneering microfinance scheme radically changed Thailand for the better, which hardly makes Shinawatra a "bad" person, and to attack someone without carrying out proper research should not be afforded column inches.

Shinawatra is the victim of great injustice -- including being the subject of trumped up and vindictive politically-motivated charges. We do hope in future this reputedly respected publication will not accept such poorly researched articles.

Jane Foley is a partner at KJF Legal Associates in Dubai and represents Thaksin Shinawatra

Foreign Policy Magazine - October 29, 2010

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/10/27/dont_attack_thaksin

====================

*added*

A search for "KJF Legal Associates in Dubai" revealed no information

Thaksin's shill in Dubai speaks out on the article:

REBUTTAL

BY JANE FOLEY | OCTOBER 27, 2010

Don't Attack Thaksin

The former prime minister is the victim of a smear campaign

Joshua E. Keating's article "Bad Exes" was one of the shoddiest and glib pieces of journalism we have seen for some years.

In its original uncorrected form it contained a number of inaccuracies, including that Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister of Thailand, had "lived under a false name in Germany" and had used "illegally received passports from a number of other countries". This is categorically untrue. An award of $1 Million will be given to Keating or anyone else for that matter that can provide genuine evidence to back up such ridiculous claims.

Shinawatra was the only prime minister in Thailand's history to serve a full parliamentary term and be re-elected. His government was also the first that was not a coalition. His reforms to the improve the economy of the country and eradicate poverty, improve the education system, introduce affordable healthcare for all Thai citizens, along with his pioneering microfinance scheme radically changed Thailand for the better, which hardly makes Shinawatra a "bad" person, and to attack someone without carrying out proper research should not be afforded column inches.

Shinawatra is the victim of great injustice -- including being the subject of trumped up and vindictive politically-motivated charges. We do hope in future this reputedly respected publication will not accept such poorly researched articles.

Jane Foley is a partner at KJF Legal Associates in Dubai and represents Thaksin Shinawatra

Foreign Policy Magazine - October 29, 2010

http://www.foreignpo..._attack_thaksin

====================

*added*

A search for "KJF Legal Associates in Dubai" revealed no information

KJF.

Either she is third partner,

or it's a one lady shop

Katherine Jane Foley DBA KJF Legal associates.

Looks like that Damned Hampster is on the back burner these days!

Oh I am so sad for his loss of billable hours.

Well Janey swings the boiler plate like we might expect.

Under what false name Thaksin lived in Germany?

What was your previous nick here before you got banned?

My thoughts exactly....

Strangely, Your attempts at honouring the forum's integrity don't extend to this poster who has posted extensively on this very thread:

Shinawatra is the victim of great injustice -- including being the subject of trumped up and vindictive politically-motivated charges.

She's trying out for Robert Amsterdam's assistant. :rolleyes: