Noppadon Says Thaksin Won't Sue Author Of 'Bad Exes' Article

webfact

BAD EXES

Thaksin is not bad exes : Noppadon

By The Nation

Fugitive Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not sue writer of a US magazine who listed him among "Bad Exes," but instead will write to explain facts, Thaksin's personal spokesman Noppadon Pattama said Monday.

Noppadon also dismissed on behalf of Thaksin the information in the article written by Joshua Keating, entitled Bad Exes, in Foreign Policy magazine, that Thaksin used false name and passport to enable him to live in Germany for a year.

"Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year and has used illegally received passports from a number of other countries as well," Keating said in the article.

Noppadon said maybe Keating, whom he knows very well, has lived in Washington which is very far from Thailand, so he did not know the truth about the matter.

Noppadon said in a press conference, "I dare to challenge anyone to come out to show evidence that Thaksin used the false name and passport. If anyone could, he or she will be rewarded Bt1 million per each evidence."

Defending allegations that Thaksin used false name and passport Noppadon said that Thaksin has a unique face, wherever he goes, people will regconise him.

Noppadon said Thaksin had lived in Germany for less than one year. "At present, Thaksin is holding passports of Montenegro and Nicaragua," Noppadon said.

Other ex-leaders listed as bad exes are former German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar, Nigeria's ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo and former Philippine leader Joseph Estrada.

Keating said in his article "since being deposed in a 2006 coup amid allegations of graft and human rights abuses, Thaksin has lived a peripatetic existence. The former billionaire businessman has served as a "special ambassador" for Nicaragua and an economic advisor in Cambodia, and was briefly owner of the Manchester City soccer club.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-11

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is there to sue about?

"Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year ...

100% true. It was widely reported that this happened.

... and has used illegally received passports from a number of other countries as well,"

Didn't Thaksin have a Ugandan passport that was given to him illegally?

What is there to sue about?

"Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year ...

100% true. It was widely reported that this happened.

... and has used illegally received passports from a number of other countries as well,"

Didn't Thaksin have a Ugandan passport that was given to him illegally?

For sure. I remember watching the Ugandan official in charge of passports saying on BBC that it was impossible for Thaksin to have gotten a diplomatic passport. When shown the proof, he just dismissed it...I am sure that guy got a new car for his efforts!

Noppadon said in a press conference, "I dare to challenge anyone to come out to show evidence that Thaksin used the false name and passport. If anyone could, he or she will be rewarded Bt1 million per each evidence."

Hey that is a nice deal.

Doesn't came that rumour originally from the Thai Foreign Ministry or some Government task force that is doing the global search on Thaksin.

Well, we must defend his honor.... *snickers* Thai Politics, so much about saving face..... just... *sighs*

Someone better tell Mr. T that US is not Thailand and they have freedom of speech. And since I am one I can tell him to shut the fxxk up :rolleyes:

Can't sue when it's the truth, no matter how much it hurts.

Try to get your Bt1 million reward if you have any evidence for that what Noppadorn called untruths.

And please don't forget to invite TV member for a party when you get the money.

Try to get your Bt1 million reward if you have any evidence for that what Noppadorn called untruths.

Photos of those passports have been shown multiple times on TVF right here.

It's not brain surgery to understand this has happened.

Noppadom is just speaking out his hat.

Well, we must defend his honor.... *snickers* Thai Politics, so much about saving face..... just... *sighs*

Someone better tell Mr. T that US is not Thailand and they have freedom of speech. And since I am one I can tell him to shut the fxxk up :rolleyes:

Are you sure you got that "freedom of speech" thing right and that you are making the best use out of it?

Is that just the freedom to use as many XXXXX as you want? hahaha. You can be proud of your country.

On the foreignpolicy website it's just

"Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year",

but the part

"Although Thaksin was vocally supportive of the red shirts -- he once called into a rally and promised "to make all Thais rich" if his supporters were able to regain political power -- he denies funding their efforts."

seems much more damaging. Maybe k. Noppadon should should start to sue because of this claim ? I

Edited by rubl

It would be laughable for any politician to sue an American magazine writer in an American Court, and the Thai Courts could never get jurisdiction over him. Bad as the American legal system is, lawsuits against public participation by sleezy politicians are not tolerated, in fact they are easily dismissed with costs and sanctions against the plaintiff.

Sadly the Thai Courts allow this type of silly litigation and its misuse to silence political opponents, but in the US, if you put yourself within the public arena you lose your ability to scream defamation in most cases.

Under what name he lived in Germany?

Recently, I wrote a book about a former Thai PM - turned fugitive (named Sintax in the book). I tried getting it published at the largest Thai book chain, but no go. They liked the text, and thought it was 'hilarious and on-the-mark' (a manager's words), but were afraid to publish it because of sue-fixated Sintax and his sue-crazy attorneys. It will get printed, somehow/someday, and it's currently available as an ebook. Perhaps the author will get sued (that's the topic of the books last chapter) - yet it's a bit like the adage about show business; "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

It would be laughable for any politician to sue an American magazine writer in an American Court, and the Thai Courts could never get jurisdiction over him. Bad as the American legal system is, lawsuits against public participation by sleezy politicians are not tolerated, in fact they are easily dismissed with costs and sanctions against the plaintiff.

Sadly the Thai Courts allow this type of silly litigation and its misuse to silence political opponents, but in the US, if you put yourself within the public arena you lose your ability to scream defamation in most cases.

Yeah and Thaksin or his lawyer are not going to sue the author, so what.

The headline should be Bt1 million reward per each evidence. That is a public challenge. And it is not the first time that Noppadon make that offer for the bringer of proof of similar accusations and rumors. I would like to see somebody to get that money.

Recently, I wrote a book about a former Thai PM - turned fugitive (named Sintax in the book). I tried getting it published at the largest Thai book chain, but no go. They liked the text, and thought it was 'hilarious and on-the-mark' (a manager's words), but were afraid to publish i

hahahaha.

Wow. You should frame this words of the manager and put it on display in your hut. I guess you also met someone who said to you that you are very handsome, right? please tell us more.

Btw. do you realise that the article is about that they WILL NOT SUE?

hahahaha... It makes news when Thaksin decides to NOT sue someone for defamation.

Putting Noppadon's absurd reward offers aside, why the change in tactics? Thaksin has sued countless times for media reports detrimental to his image just like this article; is it really just sinking in with them that after countless suit dismissals, that no one really believes he's capable of being defamed?

Edited by Buchholz

Why does he not sue? Money laden biscuit tin don't work in the US?

.....because the well is running dry, and there is little left for him to steal through cheating, lying, deceiving, and swindling. or maybe he's too distracted shopping in dubai or obtaining other 3rd world illegal passports.

I didn't care to memorize it, but he did get in trouble with German authorities,

and that made the papers, so do your own research, I need not feed you

what I have already seen.

And I see no reason to wrangle with his putz lawyer to get a piddling 1m baht

and then get more than that in hassle from that scurvy team.

Nor his pseudo-legal, pontificating, troll-meister, PR weenie either.

No Hampster damned, makes a difference to me.

Nopadope is just preaching to the choir and talking through his own hat.

And keeping the bosses name in the press weekly.

That last is likely his only really job description.

Edited by animatic

I didn't care to memorize it, ...

Not interested in all the money?

dam_n, I thought you knew it. Who else is getting no the money and throws a party. Someone knows here some facts or not?

MP Backs Thaksin's Worst Leader Listing

A member of Parliament pointed out that ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra getting his name on Foreign Policy Magazine's top-five list of worst former leaders reflects the world's consensus on his misconduct.

During today's parliamentary meeting appointed Senator Prasarn Maruekapitak pointed out that the foreign press have given the fifth position in their top-five worst former leaders list to ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said that even though the top-five list illustrates the abusive role and misconduct of the deposed premier, there are still certain political parties and politicians who wish for his return to Thailand. Prasarn went on to say that Thaksin's global political struggle has backfired since the world has cornered him.

Thaksin made the list of “Bad Exes” which is devised by the Foreign Policy Magazine, part of the Washington Post newspaper. It is also available on the internet in seven languages.

The list highlights the misconduct of former leaders in various countries, including former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroder, former president Jose Maria Aznar of Spain, Nigerian Ex-president Olesegun Obasanjo, former president Joseph Estrada of the Philippines and lastly, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The article mentions his graft allegations and human rights abuses during his time as prime minister. And after his deposition, he lived in various countries under a false name and moved around using illegal passports from many countries.

It went on to say that the red-shirt supporters stormed and razed Bangkok along with other government installations across the country.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-11

footer_n.gif

As if he had a choice. Sorry, the USA believes in freedom of speech especially for public figures. And the article was written in Forbes, the owner is not exactly a poor man to try and intimidate with a lawsuit. Works in Thailand, but not in the good ol' USA.