Lunar Calendar: Buddhist Holy Days Held Late

george

LUNAR CALENDAR: Buddhist holy days held late

BANGKOK: -- Faulty data in ‘100 Years Horoscope’ blamed for error. All three major Buddhist holy days held so far this year were celebrated a day late, according to calculations based on the lunar system. The miscalculation was a result of an initial mistake made in the “100 Years Horoscope Calendar”, which the Royal Calendar traditionally refers to.

Kanok Saenprasert, a senior official at the Office of National Buddhism, said yesterday that temples nationwide had been instructed to adhere to what the Royal Calendar said. He said the Makha Puja, Visakha Puja, and Asanha Puja days next year would be accurately dated after a recalculation based on the lunar system.

The Makha Puja, Visakha Puja, and Asanha Puja days were scheduled for February 23, May 22, and July 28 respectively this year but according to a calculation using the lunar system, each of the holy days should have been scheduled for a day earlier.

The miscalculation was discovered a few days ago by the head of an astrology association and made public on Monday by Kom Chad Luek newspaper. The “100 Years Horoscope Calendar” is said to accurately cover the calendar years 1921-2020 and is widely used by soothsayers and astrologers in Thailand.

There has been no official notice regarding the schedule of the remaining traditional events based on the lunar calculation, and whether they should be brought forward – including the end of Buddhist Lent on October 18, which should actually be October 17. Loy Krathong is scheduled to be celebrated on December 16 but actually falls on December 15.

Thongthae Ang-kaew, the son of Thongjua Ang-kaew, late author of the “100 Years Horoscope Calendar”, said he could guarantee the accuracy of his father’s calculation of the calendars, but admitted that mistakes occurred when the numeric information was computerised two years ago.

Thongthae said he had had a correction notice printed and attached to the “100 Years Horoscope Calendar” book released last year. He suspected that Royal Household Bureau officials responsible for the Royal Calendar failed to include the corrected information in their annual version this year.

He thought the Sangha Supreme Council, as the governing body of Buddhism, may also be unaware of the inaccuracy, despite the correction notice.

--The Nation 2005-07-27

Looks like everyone's got different sources on this. The first Thai calendar I opened said 24 july was the day.

I have another I just opened, a personalised one given to me by the governor of Krabi province, and it has Asanha Puja listed on 22 july and khao phansa the day before, 21 july!

Come to think of it, if the posted article is correct, then khao phansa really was 21 July.

I celebrated wan khao phansa at a local wat this year on 22 July, like most everyone else (everyone Buddhist that is), and I remember someone at the wat did mention that Asanha Puja had occurred the day before. I completely missed it this year.

Seems like there are a lot of calendars out there that need correcting ...

At the poor Wat we visited only the 21st was a day of boon; and we passed at least a 3 kilometer long formation of bands and floats on the Loei Road (201) and the junction of Khon Khen (12) outside of Champhau in the afternoon.

Looks like everyone's got different sources on this. The first Thai calendar I opened said 24 july was the day.

I have another I just opened, a personalised one given to me by the governor of Krabi province, and it has Asanha Puja listed on 22 july and khao phansa the day before, 21 july!

Come to think of it, if the posted article is correct, then khao phansa really was 21 July.

I celebrated wan khao phansa at a local wat this year on 22 July, like most everyone else (everyone Buddhist that is), and I remember someone at the wat did mention that Asanha Puja had occurred the day before. I completely missed it this year.

Seems like there are a lot of calendars out there that need correcting ...

Guys, I am from SriLanka and I have noticed that the full moon day In Thailand and in Srilanka is 1 day different. The different starts after March and Thais are always 1 day ahead. Anyone can explain to me why is this? We are only 1 hour different in time zone. I thought those important days to buddhist should be same ever where in the world :o

Read post number 1. There was a mistake made in Thailand and dates this year have been wrong. Unfortunately the newspaper also made a mistake in reporting the mistake. :o

It appears that your post is also wrong; as Thailand had been one day behind this year, not ahead. Unless the total news item is in error?

Edited by lopburi3

LUNAR CALENDAR: Buddhist holy days held late

Loy Krathong is scheduled to be celebrated on December 16 but actually falls on December 15.

I think someone should rewrite this article.

How many mistakes can you make in one paragraph

Read post number 1.  There was a mistake made in Thailand and dates this year have been wrong.  Unfortunately the newspaper also made a mistake in reporting the mistake. :D

It appears that your post is also wrong; as Thailand had been one day behind this year, not ahead.  Unless the total news item is in error?

U got me wrong mister :D I was saying in general Thai fool moon day is 1 day ahead from us over there. last year it was like that and previous year it was like that. I was here for the past 10 year and it all like that. :D Whenever there is a full moon day here I checked with my home and they said "no it is tomorrow". Now what do u have to say about that :o

Read post number 1.  There was a mistake made in Thailand and dates this year have been wrong.  Unfortunately the newspaper also made a mistake in reporting the mistake. :D

It appears that your post is also wrong; as Thailand had been one day behind this year, not ahead.  Unless the total news item is in error?

U got me wrong mister :D I was saying in general Thai fool moon day is 1 day ahead from us over there. last year it was like that and previous year it was like that. I was here for the past 10 year and it all like that. :D Whenever there is a full moon day here I checked with my home and they said "no it is tomorrow". Now what do u have to say about that :o

And this still does not tell me where you are. Are you in Thailand or Sri Lanka? I had thought Sir Lanka but now it sounds as if you are in Thailand.

At any rate believe the "full moon" is a judgement call and the two countries probably use different criteria. Our days to not exactly match the solar system so it is not an exact science. If you live here in Thailand you know time is not that high a priority. :D

Edited by lopburi3

• 2 weeks later...

Often in organizing holidays for official purposes, the true essence of the 100 year calendar is lost.

If I'm not mistaken, the 100 year calender marks each of these (Buddhist) holidays on the full moon, which is the 15th night of the waxing moon (From new moon counted 15 nights to it's full moon state) of the third, sixth, and eight lunar months.

So Asanabucha day always fall on the full moon of the eigth month, which in 2005 fell on midnight, July 21 (or is it midnight July 22nd) well anyway the day of July 21st, and by standard 24 hour clock, midnight would be the first hour of that day, so then it should be midnight of 21st from this perspective.

Thus Wisakabucha falls on the full moon of the 6th month which was May 22nd for this year.

Makabucha falls on the full moon of the third month which was February 23rd.

So I guess the confusion is when to actually celebrate. Looking from the 24 hour clock can confuse us. From looking at the Thai calender, for the full moon, they would write ขื้น 15 ค่ำ keun 15 kum. Keun used here has as meaning rise, so I interpret it the 15th waxing (rising/appearing) moon. So then I guess it would make sense that that moon night (ค่ำ kum) is referring to the moon ending that day not beginning it (as in the 24 hour clock), which would answer why it can be celebrated the day after the full moon.

To cut out all this confusion, they should just live true to the original Brahmin rites..and give us a paid holiday Keun 14 , 15 kum, and Ram 1 kum. แรม Ram refers to the waning state of the moon. I've heard that the Brahmins (and many other Lunar following magical peoples like the Western matriarchal Pagans) believe the potency of the full moon is aparent the first night in, the actual full moon, and the first night out.

Can someone please clarify if the kum ค่ำ refers to the beginning a new day as in hour 00:00 of the 24 hour clock, or does it imply to the ending of the day as in a climax of the day/night...in regards to the 100 years calender.

By the way, if any one knows where I can get a copy of the official 100 year calender either online or in a book store somewhere, that would be great as I'm studying the Promachaat in my free time, and it would help to know exactly which kum or ram I was born, not to mention the death and birth days of other relevent peoples.

Thanks in advance

Edited by greenwanderer108

Can someone please clarify if the kum ค่ำ refers to the beginning a new day as in hour 00:00 of the 24 hour clock, or does it imply to the ending of the day as in a climax of the day/night...in regards to the 100 years calender.

In everyday Thai, ค่ำ is the period beginning after dark and continuing till just before midnight, or according to RID: เวลามืดตอนต้นของกลางคืน. คืน of course refers to the night in general, with ค่ำ more specifically 7-11pm, as I understand it from normal conversation anyway.

I don't know where to find the 100-year calendar, maybe a stationary shop? Or in BKK you can almost certainly find one at the string of astrology/fortune-telling supply shops in Nakhon Kasem, Chinatown. They even have giant rubber stamps that print the shape of a hand so that you can draw lines on it while reading palms.

In everyday Thai, ค่ำ is the period beginning after dark and continuing till just before midnight, or according to RID: เวลามืดตอนต้นของกลางคืน. คืน of course refers to the night in general, with ค่ำ more specifically 7-11pm, as I understand it from normal conversation anyway.

I don't know where to find the 100-year calendar, maybe a stationary shop? Or in BKK you can almost certainly find one at the string of astrology/fortune-telling supply shops in Nakhon Kasem, Chinatown. They even have giant rubber stamps that print the shape of a hand so that you can draw lines on it while reading palms.

That makes sense ofcourse, can't believed I over-looked the common usage of ค่ำ.

So in that case, if the holiday is infact intended to be on ขึ้น 15 ค่ำ Kuen 15 kum (kuen here is quick with a falling tone, not to be mistaken with คืน keun, a longer mid tone meaning evening/night), then it would only make sense to do the celebrations/rites in the evening of that day up untill that full moon.