Bangkok Taxis

Traxster

10 years in Thailand and my view is don' t fool around with anyone in a position of power for the sake 200 Baht.. You could just find the one who will make it his mission to cause you as big a problem as possible- and they do exist...

It's hard to gauge the exact scenario with the Police Man, because we do not know what the girl told him. She maybe told him wrong, or like you say, they were all in it together. Also we do not know your "attitude" when all this happening, obviously got your back up (it would have mine) which brings out your aggressive side which could be deemed insulting.

But there is no way i would be paying 200baht out because i was the one getting scammed!

It's not the amount of money, it is the principle.

Sometimes learning to speak Thai is worth the effort and the money...

So, you're prepared to let some a*sehole cop make your life an absolute misery over 200baht? There are plenty of them out there, believe you me. You are prepared to waste possibly hours of your time going to the police station to explain to all his mates that he tried to shake you down? For 200 baht? You know, it's so, so easy to glibly write these things, making them apparently look easy, but neither not so easy to do them and certainly extremely risky. What happens when you get to the nick and they 'cuff you for the ya ba they "found" in your pocket? Now your 200 baht has become 20,000 baht. If you give them the opportunity to take more, they will. This ain't Kansas, Dorothy. Thai cops are crooks. Never forget that.

Those who continue to pay the police are part of the problem.

Simply refuse, point at the cop and say the magic word "kee-gong," which means "cheater," and walk away.

Walk away from the taxi driver. Walk away from the shop owner.

Walk away from all of them.

Your money is yours, and you are under no compulsion to give it away to anybody.

Permitting anybody to intimidate you simply perpetuates the behavior.

Do not be intimidated.

What can they do? Arrest you? They will not do it. They cannot do it. At the police station, you can rightly demand an English translator, and you can lodge charges of corruption against the cop.

It is better for them to hassle lower hanging fruit, so to speak, meaning people who have no spine.

Stand up to them, ignore them, and walk away. They cannot do anything about it.

while i agree with you that a stand should be taken, you speak like a man who has never had his convictions truly tested.

As with all things, a certian amount of situational discretion must be applied.

Edited by nocturn

I think the OP did ok as well, while it might not fit with our ego to do it, TIT and you have to play by there rules, the Thai's know to pay and be on there way, why should we be any different?, as has been said choose your battles wisely. While not common, I have read stories over the past years of cops pulling out there gun and shooting a person point blank when confronted in the wrong way.( yes it has happened, a farang husband and wife in Kanchanaburi if i remember correctly is one I remember) I am not willing to take the chance, are you for 200Bht.

Edited by rick75

Those who continue to pay the police are part of the problem.

Simply refuse, point at the cop and say the magic word "kee-gong," which means "cheater," and walk away.

Absolutely do not follow this advice!!! You will be in for a world of hurt if you are not extremely lucky. We are not talking about security guards extorting tourists for cigarette butts. Anyone who's lived here long enough well knows this.

So, you're prepared to let some a*sehole cop make your life an absolute misery over 200baht? There are plenty of them out there, believe you me. You are prepared to waste possibly hours of your time going to the police station to explain to all his mates that he tried to shake you down? For 200 baht? You know, it's so, so easy to glibly write these things, making them apparently look easy, but neither not so easy to do them and certainly extremely risky. What happens when you get to the nick and they 'cuff you for the ya ba they "found" in your pocket? Now your 200 baht has become 20,000 baht. If you give them the opportunity to take more, they will. This ain't Kansas, Dorothy. Thai cops are crooks. Never forget that.

If it go to the stage where i could see it was escalating, then maybe i pay the money.

The point, like Britmavric said, it hardly ever escalates.

Be respectful, gauge the situation... I'm sure if you play it right, 99 times out of 100 everything will be fine. The police do not have super human powers, sure they try to throw their weight around, like any person in a position of power over someone else. They will push the limits. If you want to let them... up to you.

As i said before we do not know what the girl said... Learning to speak reasonable Thai has many benefits.

And for gods sake never say "kee ghong" in a police mans face, or you will be in trouble.

Where does all this crap happen? I have been living here for 28 years and never once been involved in a shake down. Also, I do not drive so have used a lot of taxis. For the first few years I did not speak Thai either. There must be something that indicates you're an easy mark, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. Is the sole issue that if you do not speak any Thai they think you are a tourist?

Where does all this crap happen? I have been living here for 28 years and never once been involved in a shake down. Also, I do not drive so have used a lot of taxis. For the first few years I did not speak Thai either. There must be something that indicates you're an easy mark, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. Is the sole issue that if you do not speak any Thai they think you are a tourist?

Try taking a taxi from the airport or any other night-time entertainment venue and you'll soon see.

I have been here for seventeen years and speak Thai and the meter in the taxi I took from the airport - BKK - was running fast last Thursday morning. Any advice?

I have been living here for 28 years and never once been involved in a shake down.

There's no mystery here; most taxis involved in a scam hang out near a hotel. If you take a taxi elsewhere, the odds lower dramatically. I don't think it has anything to do with looking like a tourist or not.

I have been living here for 28 years and never once been involved in a shake down.

There's no mystery here; most taxis involved in a scam hang out near a hotel. If you take a taxi elsewhere, the odds lower dramatically. I don't think it has anything to do with looking like a tourist or not.

Got it. That makes sense.

In addition to taking taxis touting for customers outside of a 5 star hotels or Patpong, people that have problems with taxis also tend to to just jump in a random taxi, sit down, and bark out their destination. This is rude and immediately lets the driver know you are a noob, and some try to take advantage of that. You're supposed to ask before you get in the taxi, preferably in Thai (pai <location> mai?), he'll nod and you get in or he'll shake his head and you ask the next taxi. This is what Thai people ALWAYS do, you can't just jump in a taxi like in NYC and he'll wherever you feel like going. I've taken hundreds of taxis doing this and have not once had the slightest problem.

Actually, that's one thing that annoys me about Bangkok taxis, their refusal to take you to certain destinations: often it seems like it's just because they can't be bothered to go there rather than any logistical reason such as their shift finishing and the destination being far away (although, granted, I know that is the reason sometimes). If you confidently hop in the back and state your destination (still being polite and speaking in Thai), there's more chance he'll "like" your destination and take you there. That's my theory anyway.

Actually, that's one thing that annoys me about Bangkok taxis, their refusal to take you to certain destinations: often it seems like it's just because they can't be bothered to go there rather than any logistical reason such as their shift finishing and the destination being far away (although, granted, I know that is the reason sometimes). If you confidently hop in the back and state your destination (still being polite and speaking in Thai), there's more chance he'll "like" your destination and take you there. That's my theory anyway.

Actually, i dont see the problem with them refusing you. You just find an other taxi. Some places are just a hassle to get too with heavy traffic. Then they loose because the 1 bt a minute does not cover much.

Actually, i dont see the problem with them refusing you. You just find an other taxi. Some places are just a hassle to get too with heavy traffic. Then they loose because the 1 bt a minute does not cover much.

Just once is fine, no real hassle. But when the 9th or 10th one has turned you down it starts to grate a bit.

This kind of thing doesn't only target farangs, Thai's also fall victim to this, they just don't carry the self-righteous farang attitude with them (which only leads to more problems in thailand).

If it happens to you, just put on a smile, keep your cool, if they ask for too much, bargain it down a little, 200 baht is reasonably cheap in Bangkok, but outside Central Thai, you can usually get away with 50-100.

This kind of thing doesn't only target farangs, Thai's also fall victim to this, they just don't carry the self-righteous farang attitude with them (which only leads to more problems in thailand). If it happens to you, just put on a smile, keep your cool, if they ask for too much, bargain it down a little, 200 baht is reasonably cheap in Bangkok, but outside Central Thai, you can usually get away with 50-100

I have never seen this "self-righteuos farang attitude" you talk about, pray tell me what goes on?

They have meters in the taxis in Bangkok now, far easier.

200 Baht, unless your traveling right accross the city, I bet they are queueing up to get you in their cab.

This kind of thing doesn't only target farangs, Thai's also fall victim to this, they just don't carry the self-righteous farang attitude with them (which only leads to more problems in thailand).

If it happens to you, just put on a smile, keep your cool, if they ask for too much, bargain it down a little, 200 baht is reasonably cheap in Bangkok, but outside Central Thai, you can usually get away with 50-100.

Why even entertain the idea of negotiating a fare up front? The meter's there, use that instead. If for some strange reason he doesn't want to, go to another cab.

Just once is fine, no real hassle. But when the 9th or 10th one has turned you down it starts to grate a bit.

Then you want to go to a place they hate. There are such places like ratchayotin during traffic. I can understand them they loose money that way. More money would help. Also i had a similar problem the taxi's hated the 50 baht trip from the carefour to my home. I got a bike and later a car. They have the right to refuse you i think its a good thing.

I'm sure I remember reading once that, by the letter of the law, they can't refuse you. May have imagined it though, it's only a vague recollection.

Anyway, it may be on occasion that I'm going somewhere "they hate". However, I need to get there. What else am I supposed to do, go somewhere different instead, just for the heІl of it? Chill out for a couple of hours and try later? Walk?

They have the right to refuse you i think its a good thing.

Actually they don't, if their red light is on they are obliged to take you to your required destination. That said I wouldn't really want to test the rules and nor could I be bothered to try and take it further.

They have the right to refuse you i think its a good thing.

Actually they don't, if their red light is on they are obliged to take you to your required destination. That said I wouldn't really want to test the rules and nor could I be bothered to try and take it further.

I'd like to see proof of this. It's true in NYC, I'm not sure it is here. Regardless, in the real world it's certainly not true and both passengers and drivers know this, and tourists getting in without asking first ends up with them getting scammed

And I don't think they should have to take passengers, if they did they'd have to drastically increase the cost of a ride. Some places are absolute hel_l to drive to at certain times of the day. It's not fair for a driver to drive somewhere for an hour and make 80 baht. Use a boat, motorcycle rider, skytrain, etc to get out of the congested area then get in a taxi for the rest or just take a bus

^^^

I haven't got proof of it, either way, I was in conversation with my Thai lawyer and asked him, he told me that it the law though it would be a waste of time trying to enforce it.

I think drivers prefer to make numerous short trip at 50-100 Baht a pop, that said I have rarely been refused and I have found most the drivers to be pretty sound.

Have to say I have never been in a taxi for an hour for 80 Baht though.

This kind of thing doesn't only target farangs, Thai's also fall victim to this, they just don't carry the self-righteous farang attitude with them (which only leads to more problems in thailand). If it happens to you, just put on a smile, keep your cool, if they ask for too much, bargain it down a little, 200 baht is reasonably cheap in Bangkok, but outside Central Thai, you can usually get away with 50-100

I have never seen this "self-righteuos farang attitude" you talk about, pray tell me what goes on?

They have meters in the taxis in Bangkok now, far easier.

200 Baht, unless your traveling right accross the city, I bet they are queueing up to get you in their cab.

Not referring to the taxi, but to the police. If I understand the post correctly, he had to pay the police 200 baht for confronting someone. Many farangs would have been too self-righteous and argued it as they believe the police has no right to demand money like that (I'd agree they're right, but arguing it won't get you anywhere here).

Use a boat, motorcycle rider, skytrain, etc to get out of the congested area then get in a taxi for the rest or just take a bus

Those are all good alternatives in certain circumstances. In fact, regardless of the taxi refusal thing, most of those are better ways of getting from A to B (except the bus obviously). But when the only way to get to your destination is by taxi, it's irritating if a few of them refuse you.

Use a boat, motorcycle rider, skytrain, etc to get out of the congested area then get in a taxi for the rest or just take a bus

Those are all good alternatives in certain circumstances. In fact, regardless of the taxi refusal thing, most of those are better ways of getting from A to B (except the bus obviously). But when the only way to get to your destination is by taxi, it's irritating if a few of them refuse you.

Im not saying its fun for you, i can understand them. I had the same problem, i live far out so sometimes they dont want to go there. Also going to certain spots during rush hour is almost impossible.