The Beach Umbrella People

dcutman

The most stupid thing I have ever seen, happened today. While watching people set up the umbrella's on Pattaya beach. one lady was working hard raking the sand of trash and debris. this went on for a better part of an hour.

Thinking this trash would be picked up and placed in a very nearbye trash can. I was very impressed bye how these vendors try to keep he beach clean. To my surprise and shock, she started raking sand to this pile of trash. She worked feverasly for a solid 1/2 hour to cover this pile of trash with sand.

I went to the women and asked why she would do such a thing. Why spend so much energy to cover the trash with sand, why not just put the trash in the can a mear 10 meter from this pile.

Her responce was just as amazing. This was not her trash and it was deposited from the tide. It was not hers and she was not going to pick it up.

I told her to stop, I will do it for you. I went to the trash can where I found a rice bag, returned to the pile of trash. put it in the bag in less than 2 minutes and threw it in the trash can.

This women was so pissed at me for doing this she screamed and yelled the whole time. I am not posative but I acctually think she spit on me for doing this.

• Like 1

Don't want to bring out the Thai bashing brigade but l live on the banks of a lake and the locals come to fish there, great, but the bank is now covered in plastic food bags, drink cartons, you name it and they come back to fish again in the same spot wallowing in the crap. It is so easy to take the rubbish away, why !!!:unsure:

I know in the UK during the 80s we were bombarded with adverts telling us to take our rubbish home with us. We have been educated to do this. For us it's normal.

Why don't the Thai Government do this? Rather put the money in there pockets I guess!

Heh heh, remember those Charlie the cat adverts? Charlie says you should never go with strangers!!!!

Edited by onnut
  • Like 1

LO.yeh the old "not my job" thingy...I was on a Melbourne Aus beach once and saw a very large family of Greeks get up and leave...looked like the morning after the parade..food bottles a general garbage tip..disgusting behavior...my kids cleaned it all up..people like that everyplace I guess..SIL sweeps all her garbage to a perimeter of 3 meters around her house...very pretty..go figure..

Welcome to the land of smiles not, 18 month ago pattaya council made the beach people vendors, if thats what you call them , Take down nearly all of the Umbrellas,the place looked good again , many people went to the beach because it looked like it should be, a beach not a Umbrella forest.It only lasted a few weeks before they appeared again, maybe some thing to do with crossing palms with silver,Thailand is the only place that seems to think that the customer needs them , not the other way around, with dual pricing, and you are in my country now attitude, is the main reason Thailand is on the way down , and has been for years, even the Thais are saying what happened to the Smiles, now they just spit at you , so maybe welcome to the land of spit, be carefully because Thailand is riddled with T B.

I love the way people talk about pats as if it is really the beach.

A few years back I did a motorcycle trip through ranong and we hit this national park beach that was essentially a huge tidal flat for almost a kilometer in either direction at low tide.

It was 2 days after songkran an the shoreline was absolutely heaping with party detritus - bags, styrofoam, bottles of beer and whiskey, and most disgustingly - the stinking Remains off seafood feasts.

Edited by nocturn

Last year I was living in a condo north of Pattaya that was about thirty yards from the "beach" / mudflats... Daily people would come and drink whiskey and fish and ALWAYS left the garbage everywhere possible. One day while about 5 Thai whiskey men were sitting there so I took my bag of garbage over and started spreading it out all over the beach as the drunks looked on with amazement. When finished emptying the bag, I walked over to the drunks and said that "Thailand was very beautiful ". The next day the area was spotless...for about two days.

Edited by bunta71

post-49171-052375000 1287127240_thumb.jp

Last year I was living in a condo north of Pattaya that was about thirty yards from the "beach" / mudflats... Daily people would come and drink whiskey and fish and ALWAYS left the garbage everywhere possible. One day while about 5 Thai whiskey men were sitting there so I took my bag of garbage over and started spreading it out all over the beach as the drunks looked on with amazement. When finished emptying the bag, I walked over to the drunks and said that "Thailand was very beautiful ". The next day the area was spotless...for about two days.

• 4 weeks later...

October 17 beach road @ soi 8 Pattayas equivelent to Chernobyl. Note all the people cleaning up.<BR><BR>The 2 dumb a$$ umbrella operators in the background are raking the trash back into the water.

post-102585-0-83218100-1289241959_thumb.

post-102585-0-44309000-1289242386_thumb.

post-102585-0-95204100-1289242465_thumb.

Edited by dcutman

Dear Mr Ltthiphol,

If you had any sense whatsoever you would have the beach bulldozed along with the shabby old umbrella and umbrella people and have a team dedicated to keep the area clean 7 days a week, with stiff penalties for the Umbrella people returning and do away with beach vendors who completely piss you off with their relentless "want nails clean mister" or coconuts or ice cream or seafood or want a tattoo? well er no i f'ing don't i'm sitting on this cesspit of a beach trying to relax and want some piece and quiet!

Thanks.

Edited by streetlife
  • Like 1

One think that gets to me is how the locals urinate against the walls everyday on the beach it stinks.

I have seen men and ladies both doing daily.

A large amount the are umbrellas are now controlled by jet ski thugs they only want bums on seats so they can scam as many people as possible.

Dear Mr Ltthiphol,

If you had any sense whatsoever you would have the beach bulldozed along with the shabby old umbrella and umbrella people and have a team dedicated to keep the area clean 7 days a week, with stiff penalties for the Umbrella people returning and do away with beach vendors who completely piss you off with their relentless "want nails clean mister" or coconuts or ice cream or seafood or want a tattoo? well er no i f'ing don't i'm sitting on this cesspit of a beach trying to relax and want some piece and quiet!

Thanks.

Mt Itthipol the mayor, in his mid term review, proudly says that one of his "achievements" is keeping the beaches cleaner!!! This was reported in recent Pattaya Mail. I guess this is as clean as it gets. Sad.

One think that gets to me is how the locals urinate against the walls everyday on the beach it stinks.

A large amount the are umbrellas are now controlled by jet ski thugs they only want bums on seats so they can scam as many people as possible.

Ok, you have identified the problem, and it is a valid one at that.

What's your solution? The pee at a public toilet? Ok so where are these toilets that faciliate people peeing into a toilet?

What's that someone says? The toilets near the beach drain directly into the ocean? Ahh, well then, I suppose someone peeing on a wall is better than peeing in the water where people are swimming.

Maybe the mayor should build a few peeholes for the tourists and Thai vendors?

LUCKY THEY DID NOT THUMP YOU ONE AND TOSS YOU IN THE DRINK

Ok, you have identified the problem, and it is a valid one at that.

What's your solution? The pee at a public toilet? Ok so where are these toilets that faciliate people peeing into a toilet?

What's that someone says? The toilets near the beach drain directly into the ocean? Ahh, well then, I suppose someone peeing on a wall is better than peeing in the water where people are swimming.

Maybe the mayor should build a few peeholes for the tourists and Thai vendors?

Well the are free toilets straight across from the beach in mike shopping centre , royal garden and central so there is no excuse .

Dear Mr Ltthiphol,

Thanks.

I love the beach vendors in Pattaya :-) You just pick out a deckchair under a big ol' shady tree and you're fed and watered all day! Don't have to move a muscle. It's great!

Not the same on Phuket where they can hardly get off their asses to bring you a cold one.

Next to my gf's family home there is a dirt road that is regularly flooded during the rainy season. This road goes to a couple of resort and restaurant that are owned by both Thai and Falangs. Nobody want to fix the road because they don't want to pay for someone else to take advantage. So basically during heavy rain nobody can access to any of this places.

Stupidity knows no border !

so, what did OP wrong in the PC sense?

First, asking her why she is doing that. That's interfering and criticising same time, big no nos.

Second, taking that garbage to the bin in front of her. That's arrogant and inappropriate demonstrating that she had to do that in the first place. Very insulting indeed.

Best thing to do: Before she starts to work, take the filth to the bin without noticing her.

i have a list of things here:

a) who goes to Pattaya beach anyway.

ii) insulting a beach comber is not entirely risky, but always entirely pointless.

2) showing an idiot how to throw away debris is valiant and should be celebrated.

6a) if you're not a tourist, don't get involved in tourist situations.

14 across) it's been agreed the whole world stinks so i'm not taking showers anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
The most stupid thing I have ever seen' date=' happened today.[/quote']

You no understand Thai culture, you farang. B)

OK well I was wrong. This is the most stupid thing. This comment. A coment to justify burring trash in the sand.

I am pretty sure this is not Thai culture. I would hope not. But Ignorance is not bliss.

Edited by dcutman

i have a list of things here:

a) who goes to Pattaya beach anyway.

ii) insulting a beach comber is not entirely risky, but always entirely pointless.

2) showing an idiot how to throw away debris is valiant and should be celebrated.

6a) if you're not a tourist, don't get involved in tourist situations.

14 across) it's been agreed the whole world stinks so i'm not taking showers anymore.

HMMM not sure to respond.

But yes people and many of them go to Pattaya beach (I am with you, not sure why) But they do and should not have to walk through trash to get.

Not a tourist but could not restrain myself on this ignorance.

And what ever you want to do with your own personal hygene UP TO U.

I know in the UK during the 80s we were bombarded with adverts telling us to take our rubbish home with us. We have been educated to do this. For us it's normal.

Why don't the Thai Government do this? Rather put the money in there pockets I guess!

Oh dear....

I used to live in UK and I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out why it is the English are so freakishly filthy when it comes to their rubbish. It doesn't matter where you go, there are huge piles of trash, cans, industrial waste and God knows what.

I'm not disputing the existence of the 80's adverts, it's just that I'm puzzled as to the intention of your post; are you supporting the Thai model of disposing your trash in whatever way which will make the rubbish magically disappear on a short term basis, hence implying that Thais are no different to your own kind - that whatever you were told to do, simply didn't sink in. Or do you claim that English actually takes care of their rubbish!?

Help me out here, I am honestly interested.