Retired In Pattaya...

Michaelaway

Ok, so we're retired in Pattaya and, no matter where we came from, we all have our likes & dislikes about the food here. Well, I'm no chef, but I like to cook. I figure there are several foods I really miss that I simply can not re-create here (or anywhere, in some case). Others, I have had some success in cooking here, and I'm still cooking them.

I miss things from my pre-Pattaya days like Greek Gyros, good pizza, Chinese black bean sauce, and more... But I am asking you, fellow Pattaya retirees: What's cooking out there? What do you cook for yourself in Pattaya? Photos droolingly welcome...

B)

PS- Posted in the Pattaya Forum, as it is Pattaya specific.

post-72929-091502500 1286959809_thumb.jp

post-72929-018727900 1286959834_thumb.jp

post-72929-040741100 1286959855_thumb.jp

post-72929-078509200 1286959882_thumb.jp

post-72929-036144900 1286959900_thumb.jp

Why the heck would i want to cook...it's hot and messy, there are dishes to clean-up, and expensive to cook for one. Besides, there are 500 professional chefs in Pattaya just waiting to cook a meal for me every nite...and most for little money and definitely less than if i were to cook it [burn it] myself :lol:

Why the heck would i want to cook...it's hot and messy, there are dishes to clean-up, and expensive to cook for one. Besides, there are 500 professional chefs in Pattaya just waiting to cook a meal for me every nite...and most for little money and definitely less than if i were to cook it [burn it] myself :lol:

Yup, ok, got it...

:unsure:

Don't mean to steal your thread thunder, but people interested in this topic may ALSO be interested in this old thread --

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3701553

Very interesting, not that old at all, thread on the exact same subject. (Sheesh and wow, where have I been...?) No thunder stealing at all, krap. My redundancy.

:boring:

I use to cook, but wifey does everything soooooo much better, I have given up. She make tomato bisque yesterday. Fantastic. She also cooks her own pizza, which is better than pretty much anything I have had here in Pattaya. But then I lived in New York City for many years, so quite spoiled.

She use to make her own sushi, but it is so cheap here that she does not do that any more. She does a great job with tacos, enchiladas and fajitas.

BBQ ribs are her specialty. As are steaks, but good steak meat is hard to find here...and expensive!

But also great pasta. And she is learning bi bim bop (spelling?). And of course her Thai food is great. We're having 5 or 6 over tomorrow night for her curry. I just had dental work, so hope I don't have any problems!!! :(

Gotlost: I'll pass on the frozen TV dinners. Lived on them while I was single and wifey won't let me eat them any more....luckily...

OP: You can get a fairly decent gyro on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 2nd road after dark. Some farang has a cart there and they are not bad...but nothing like in your pic!! Your stuffed chicken looks great also.

P.S. wife is out BBQ'ing fish right now...veracruz style in foil with veggies and lemons. Good stuff....

I use to cook, but wifey does everything soooooo much better, I have given up. She make tomato bisque yesterday. Fantastic. She also cooks her own pizza, which is better than pretty much anything I have had here in Pattaya. But then I lived in New York City for many years, so quite spoiled.

She use to make her own sushi, but it is so cheap here that she does not do that any more. She does a great job with tacos, enchiladas and fajitas.

BBQ ribs are her specialty. As are steaks, but good steak meat is hard to find here...and expensive!

But also great pasta. And she is learning bi bim bop (spelling?). And of course her Thai food is great. We're having 5 or 6 over tomorrow night for her curry. I just had dental work, so hope I don't have any problems!!! :(

Gotlost: I'll pass on the frozen TV dinners. Lived on them while I was single and wifey won't let me eat them any more....luckily...

OP: You can get a fairly decent gyro on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 2nd road after dark. Some farang has a cart there and they are not bad...but nothing like in your pic!! Your stuffed chicken looks great also.

P.S. wife is out BBQ'ing fish right now...veracruz style in foil with veggies and lemons. Good stuff....

Think you oughta nominate yer wife for Wife of the Year, man. The variety of her cooking sounds great.

PS- No more frozen dinners (or wire hangers too)!

B)

Think you oughta nominate yer wife for Wife of the Year, man. The variety of her cooking sounds great.

B)

For sure. Tonight is pasta fagioli. She is the kind of cook that can just taste something and then make it. Blows me away when she makes something and then says "remember when we ate this in Costa Rica 4 years ago at this....". Jeez, I remember being Costa Rica...I remember eating...but for sure I don't remember what I ate!

She won't even let me have canned soup....makes everything by hand...

B)

For sure. Tonight is pasta fagioli. She is the kind of cook that can just taste something and then make it. Blows me away when she makes something and then says "remember when we ate this in Costa Rica 4 years ago at this....". Jeez, I remember being Costa Rica...I remember eating...but for sure I don't remember what I ate!

She won't even let me have canned soup....makes everything by hand...

Got sisters...? (Inquiring minds...)

Fuzzy logic cooker. I don't know what it does but it makes sticky rice, jasmine rice and plain white rice much better than I can buy in restaurants.

I have two of them. I cook curries with the meat and vegetables in one and the rice in the other.

They will also cook pasta and heat the spaghetti sauce in the other and then drain the pasta and add the sauce.

They have a slow cook cycle for stews.

After cooking they automatically go into a hold mode so nothing burns if I forget to turn them off or don't hear the little done alarm.

I like to cook but don't like to clean up hence the need for a GF.

She used to eat street food but got tired of the diarrhea now she eats what I cook so I am making more rice soup dishes. She has also discovered she likes the way I cook rice. I never cook rice alone. I always season the water with herbs or vegetables or broth or something. I bought her a mortar and pestle so she can make som tom and she is happy if gaining weight. The constant diarrhea kept her slim.

I find that steaming in the cookers heats as quick as a microwave and I really don't like microwaves.

My first GF in Thailand was a good cook and that was fun for a while but she developed a habit of chasing me around with a cleaver which outweighed her culinary talent. I miss her food sometimes but I still have all of my body parts intact.

My first GF in Thailand was a good cook and that was fun for a while but she developed a habit of chasing me around with a cleaver which outweighed her culinary talent. I miss her food sometimes but I still have all of my body parts intact.

Two great recommendations. Get that fuzzy logic rice cooker...and hide the meat cleaver!