Metal Plate In My Head

Hi all,

I am going to pattaya on fri. I have a small metal plate in my head from a previous wound i received.

I have a stopover in Tokyo. I anticipate to set off their metal detectors with my plate, what is the best way to explain this to them as I may be a little zoned or inebriated as I get very nervous flying. :o

I have an x-ray of my skull, maybe i should put this in my back-back and show them.

Any of you guys share the same problem :D

Hi Jeff,

Man, I have now read several of your posts and you seem to have some very interesting experiences! We gotta meet for a beer (or 10!) so you can share some of those!

As for the metal plate I had a friend with metal in the knee who had a special certificate from his doctor. He mentioned that the detector (you walk through) only reacted about 25% of the time. Believe it was mostly metal pins/screws he had though.

Cheers!

Tricky problem,cant you pack a screwdriver and take it off before you go though,and don't forget Thailand is drug free.

I'm afraid bartender is correct one of the rules of going through a metal detector is you have to remove all things metal from your person, so the metal plate has to go. :o

Hex bolts are a much better option as they are less likely to strip than screws. However, if you will be making alot of connections you may want to use wingnuts to speed multiple removals. :D

The upside of this is that on windy days, a magnet in your hat can give you advantages over the non-plated.

cv

Hi all,

I am going to pattaya on fri. I have a small metal plate in my head from a previous wound i received.

I have a stopover in Tokyo. I anticipate to set off their metal detectors with my plate, what is the best way to explain this to them as I may be a little zoned or inebriated as I get very nervous flying.  :o

I have an x-ray of my skull, maybe i should put this in my back-back and show them.

Any of you guys share the same problem  :D

Take no notice of some of the answers, Your doctor has special information cards just for this purpose ,it is like an ID card and states where the metal is in your body and why, millions of us have pacemakers and other implants and have no problems sodont worry mate, :D nignoy

Hi all,

I have a stopover in Tokyo. I anticipate to set off their metal detectors with my plate, what is the best way to explain this to them as I may be a little zoned or inebriated as I get very nervous flying.  :o

Setting off the metal detectors is the least of your worries.

You mention you have a stopover in Tokyo so I assume you're flying in from the States via the North Pole.

Due to shifting magnetic fields at the Pole this might severly disrupt your brainwaves when they bounce of the metal plate in your head thereby giving a distortion in the cerebral zoning function of the frontal cortex.

A proper grounding cable from your earlobe to your seatbelt might help but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Take your hat off on entering the scanner thingy and get them to wave their magic wand over your barnet. :D

I have a fair amount of s/steel in my leg, I just show 'em a bit of leg and I'm thru.

You have nothing to worry about, I'd be more worried about your life in Patty. :o

My left leg is full of metal (Platinum alloy) as this is relatively neutral to the body. Result of a complicated fracture. It does not show with in the metal detector.Not even at Singapore were they set their machines at the highest sensitivity level. Suspect same alloy is used for your head. So don't worry.

If it would trigger you can always pass through the scanner for bags! :D:o

Hi all,

I have a stopover in Tokyo. I anticipate to set off their metal detectors with my plate, what is the best way to explain this to them as I may be a little zoned or inebriated as I get very nervous flying.  :D

Setting off the metal detectors is the least of your worries.

You mention you have a stopover in Tokyo so I assume you're flying in from the States via the North Pole.

Due to shifting magnetic fields at the Pole this might severly disrupt your brainwaves when they bounce of the metal plate in your head thereby giving a distortion in the cerebral zoning function of the frontal cortex.

A proper grounding cable from your earlobe to your seatbelt might help but I'm not 100% sure on this.

:o Nice one Meom that was really well done. thanks :D

...I have an x-ray of my skull, maybe i should put this in my back-back and show them...

Yes, I think you knew the answer before you posted, :o but thanks anyway - it gave a few of our more imaginative members (meom, britmaverick, cdnvic) a chance to make us all laugh! :D

My left leg is full of metal (Platinum alloy) as this is relatively neutral to the body. Result of a complicated fracture. It does not show with in the metal detector.Not even at Singapore were they set their machines at the highest sensitivity level. Suspect same alloy is used for your head. So don't worry.

If it would trigger you can always pass through the scanner for bags!  :D  :o

I have you ever considered that with a sizeable chunk of platinum in your leg that if times got tough you could pawn your leg?

Take your hat off on entering the scanner thingy and get them to wave their magic wand over your barnet. :D

I have a fair amount of s/steel in my leg, I just show 'em a bit of leg and I'm thru.

You have nothing to worry about, I'd be more worried about your life in Patty. :o

The metal plate is a good thing for protection of your head in pattaya.....the last time I was there I saw someone crack a bottle off someones skull!

Maybe go the full hog and get body armour to match.... :D

I would hope the metal in you head is stainless steel, so the magnet test will not work. The metal in my arm has never been a problem. I would not even worrie about it.

Are you high on something, highonthai? :D Do you think stainless steel is not magnetic, like aluminium? :o

I would hope the metal in you head is stainless steel, so the magnet test will not work. The metal in my arm has never been a problem. I would not even worrie about it.

Are you high on something, highonthai? :D Do you think stainless steel is not magnetic, like aluminium? :o

Common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. Most high grade SS, medical or aircraft will not be magnetic.

We use a magnet to check material if there is a question.

Try it. You will be surprised.

Sorry RDN but he's right.

Quality stainless is not magnetic