Income Requirement

In the case of obtaining a marriage visa, you must have 40,000 baht monthly income. Is that gross or net? What if the income exceeds the 40,000 requirement, but after deductions like taxes the income is less that 40,000?

I've read where bank statements are part of the documentation to verify income, but bank statements would show net after tax. A letter from an employer verifying income would show gross before any taxes are deducted.

So do they look at gross or net?

Thanks.

Do you actually work in Thailand, and what is your nationality?

As far as I know, the income must be over 40,000baht, so a contract from the Employer showing this could also be part of your package to give to the Officer. The officers just want the Bank stuff to check ingoings and outgoings, they do not look for a payment of 40,000baht or more per month. On mine it shows two payments per month over the 40,000baht amount, I do not think that they added the two totals together to see if it was always over the amount required, as I know that on some occasions it was not.

The income will be pension income from the United States. I now live in the US and will soon marry a Thai lady. Will retire to Thailand in a couple of years. If I were to retire now, the gross would exceed the 40,000. But if we are talking about net, by the time they take taxes and insurance, it might be close.

So it's the gross amount I should be worried about?

Thanks.

You don't actually have to show any paperwork right now to prove your income, if you are an American. You notarize a form saying that you make XX,XXX Baht per month and then use that for your visa application. They did look at my bank book, but only briefly. And I did not have that much money in it.

OK, time for the silly question department. Can two people live relatively comfortably on 40,000 baht per month? Whilst we are not particularly extravagant, I would have thought to allow probably double that to live comfortably in a Western style apartment, utilities, food, restaurants and drink 3 times a week. I am actually working on generating income of $A500 per week from my superannuation so I take it that we will be comfortable unless the bottom falls out of hte market. I have read web sites claiming that you can liveon $US200-250 a week, but I would not like to be watching every baht so to speak.

OK, time for the silly question department. Can two people live relatively comfortably on 40,000 baht per month? Whilst we are not particularly extravagant, I would have thought to allow probably double that to live comfortably in a Western style apartment, utilities, food, restaurants and drink 3 times a week. I am actually working on generating income of $A500 per week from my superannuation so I take it that we will be comfortable unless the bottom falls out of hte market. I have read web sites claiming that you can liveon $US200-250 a week, but I would not like to be watching every baht so to speak.

For sure. Easily...as long as you don't have big health care costs. There are dozens of threads here on TV that talk about this. Figures range from 20k to 200k per month. Just depends on your lifestyle. The one with 200k Baht requirement has 3 kids in an international school...not cheap!

In the lower income range, you will be living somewhat like a Thai. I have a good friend who rents a 5k Baht per month "room" and he is happy. No kitchen, just a small room.

For sure. Easily...as long as you don't have big health care costs. There are dozens of threads here on TV that talk about this. Figures range from 20k to 200k per month. Just depends on your lifestyle. The one with 200k Baht requirement has 3 kids in an international school...not cheap!

In the lower income range, you will be living somewhat like a Thai. I have a good friend who rents a 5k Baht per month "room" and he is happy. No kitchen, just a small room.

Thanks for that - I doubt that my wife (or I for that matter) would really like to live on the cheap. As I am a diabetic, I do need some medication so I guess my estimate of 80,000 baht per month might be close enough for estimations.

Oh, another proposed passtime, I would like to get at least a couple of massages a week (normal / therapeutic) - so I am assuming that will add a few thousand baht per month