Reccomendation Letter From Boss

Movingon

hello all

I think I should post on this category.

I plan to take a mater degree and aplpy for scholarship but it requires 2 reccomendation letters from professor or employer. I requested from my professors already but they seem to be pretty busy lately so I'm not sure that they can make it in time for me. So far I got one from my professor.

Anyway I have been working for 2 years so I think at least 1 recommendation letter from employer would be more preferable. The question is that if I request it from my boss [Japanese] would that effect to my bonus and salary increasing for the following year? I want opinion from anyone in this site because many of you are bosses. Would it effect the feeling in office esp. for me that would employer think that "oh you gonna leave, so bonus and salary increasing is not that necessary for you" ?

I really worry my boss graduated from usa. I think he would be generous for this, but I still worry. I don't know what is in his mind because I plan to study abroard I'll go only if I get scholarship and if I don't I'll keep working with this company and applay master degree in Thailand instead.

Should I request recommendation letter from my boss? This makes me frustrated for weeks:(. As a boss what do you think?

Based on my personal experiences and observations of my similarly aged friends getting masters degrees in the U.S., these letters are not really required unless you are going straight from a B.S./B.A. Adults going for a masters after a period of years of work are seldom required to fulfill those requirements.

Of course, your mileage may differ depending up the school and whether or not your master work will be in the same field as your work experience.

How about just sitting down and having an honest and open chat with your boss? Bosses are people too! rolleyes.gif I went through this earlier this week, as i'd like to apply for jobs in Bangkok for next year, but i didn't want to risk asking my boss for a reference for fear of losing a contract renewal in the next couple of months. So i went and sat down with him and honestly explained my situation, and he was very sympathetic and nice. Not all bosses are ogres. cool.gif

As a "boss" for the past 15 years, I have found that it always pays to invest in your number 1 asset - your people. I have written many recommendation letters, and have lost some of those people for various reasons, such as furthering education, career advancement not possible with the current company, etc. This philosophy has paid back many times over. I find that these past employees are very loyal, often returning, and often recommending good employees, and a couple of times recommending me to their business contacts. The employees that stayed after a recommendation were also very appreciative and loyal that I would write a letter of recommendation for them, essentially I invested in them.

I say, talk to your boss. He will appreciate your honesty and your ability to speak candidly without fear of losing face. Give him assurances that you will keep in touch and consider returning after you receive your education. The bottom line is that you must invest in yourself, and education is one of the ways you can do that. Any boss worth working for will understand this and gladly give you the letter. If your boss won't then he/she is not the kind of boss you want to work for. Your boss made a conscious decision to hold you back in your career and life for their own gain, and will continue to do so.

Thank you Khun Noise.

All universities that I checked require for such letter especially for scholarship.

and Thank you Khun dsprtlving. I think I will talk to him today.

I just worry about employer's reaction if I tell him about this. I heard that some employer has narrow mind if employee plan to get master or resign he then acts different [in a bad way]. But in this case he is foreignor so I don't know what he think. I might worry too much :bah:

opinions from foreign bosses here would help me. :lol:

As a "boss" for the past 15 years, I have found that it always pays to invest in your number 1 asset - your people. I have written many recommendation letters, and have lost some of those people for various reasons, such as furthering education, career advancement not possible with the current company, etc. This philosophy has paid back many times over. I find that these past employees are very loyal, often returning, and often recommending good employees, and a couple of times recommending me to their business contacts. The employees that stayed after a recommendation were also very appreciative and loyal that I would write a letter of recommendation for them, essentially I invested in them.

I say, talk to your boss. He will appreciate your honesty and your ability to speak candidly without fear of losing face. Give him assurances that you will keep in touch and consider returning after you receive your education. The bottom line is that you must invest in yourself, and education is one of the ways you can do that. Any boss worth working for will understand this and gladly give you the letter. If your boss won't then he/she is not the kind of boss you want to work for. Your boss made a conscious decision to hold you back in your career and life for their own gain, and will continue to do so.

Thank you Khun Floridaguy