Nightclub Clampdown Resumes

george

Nightclub clampdown resumes

PHUKET CITY: -- The province is resuming its late-night inspection tours of entertainment venues and will order 30-day closures for any nightclubs that fail to comply with the government’s Better Social Order Policy, Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura announced yesterday at the weekly Governor’s meeting.

Since the beginning of June, nine venues on the island have been shut down for 30 days for staying open and selling alcohol past the closing times specified on their licenses.

The last ordered closure before that was in October 2004, before the tsunami.

Random tests for drug use were also carried out on July 1 in Soi Bangla, Patong, on July 8 in Tambon Srisoonthorn, Thalang, and on July 15 in Karon and Nai Harn. Of a total of 460 people tested, 12 tested positive for drug use.

Gov Udomsak said many of the inspections were carried out in response to complaints by neighbors that the venues were disturbing them with loud noise late into the night.

“Recently an Austrian hotel operator in Patong complained to me that noise coming from [a popular disco] until 5 am was affecting business at three of his hotels nearby. He didn’t object to the venue staying open late, but said they should sound-proof the building so that the noise wouldn’t disturb neighbors,” he said.

Gov Udomsak said the job of law enforcement naturally fell to the police, but that his officers would also investigate complaints.

“It’s not fair for one business to make a profit at the expense of neighbors’ suffering,” he said, adding that the venues that had been shut down were repeat offenders who had failed to heed warnings.

Vice Governor Niran Kalayanamit said that despite the weekly inspections, foreign residents continued to make com plaints about after-hours noise.

He admitted that some venue owners were confused by the various “classes” and “zones” and had asked for clarification; others had asked for a review of the proposed new zones so that their clubs would be allowed to stay open later, he said.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-07-28

Soon they will have sign at the airport saying

Thailand Closed.

I am in the Middle East at the moment and it is interesting to see the

adverts on TV from Thai International.

They are not suggesting people fly to Thailand, but to Australia and New Zealand.

The ads also show the new 340 aircraft, which are exclusively for the US route.

Another example of TIT.

I can understand why owners of very noisy premises are `spoken` to about the noise if it is a nuisance on a continual basis to residents.

What beggars belief is that the tourists are just starting to come back to Phuket and the `crackdown` has started already.

I suppose there will be the usual embarrassing `pee in the bottle while we test you for drugs` and raids after the so called witching hour just in case an extra beer has been ordered.

Let the tourists start spending their money first and please suspend the ridiculous purges, or the tourists will soon find more amenable resorts to go to, where they can relax without being harassed.

Soon they will have sign at the airport saying

Thailand Closed.

I am in the Middle East at the moment and it is interesting to see the

adverts on TV from Thai International.

They are not suggesting people fly to Thailand, but to Australia and New Zealand.

The ads also show the new 340 aircraft, which are exclusively for the US route.

Another example of TIT.

I was at a couple of places until 4-5 am in Phuket , then all of a sudden 1 bar started to close at 3 am and the other was not . im sure it had nothing to do with monthly payments to the police . The place that started to get shut down was away from eveything. The disco that wa open was on soi Bangla , go figure , its all about the almighty baht

I can understand why owners of very noisy premises are `spoken` to about the noise if it is a nuisance on a continual basis to residents.

What beggars belief is that the tourists are just starting to come back to Phuket and the `crackdown` has started already.

I suppose there will be the usual embarrassing `pee in the bottle while we test you for drugs` and raids after the so called witching hour just in case an extra beer has been ordered.

Let the tourists start spending their money first and please suspend the ridiculous purges, or the tourists will soon find more amenable resorts to go to, where they can relax without being harassed.

Well that just depends on the type of tourist you are wanting to attract, the fact that resorts get a name for being noisy late at night or in the early hours can be just as damageing to tourisim as the restrictive licence rules, in fact i would suggest that it is worse, there is a balance between the two that keeps everyone happy, don't know about anyone elese here but i for one would not like to be staying in a hotel beside a nightclub that had thumping music until 5am, I sure there a lot like me, noisy late nightclubs and loud music should be kept away from residential areas. I think the penalty of 30 days closure is a bit extreme though, less than a week should serve as a good enough deterent, perhaps a couple of nights would do the trick, as anything more would be denying tourists a possible good entertainment spot during their stay.

If a resort gets a name for being loud and roudy, then that's the type of tourist it would attract, no sure if there's a big enough market in Thailand for that excluding some isolated spots in Bangkok.

This is the LAST thing Phuket needs right now.

I could understand if there were clampdowns in other Cities/Towns, but Phuket needs all the help in can get right now in attracting tourists. Readers abroad viewing this thread may think twice about the town as their holiday destination. What a shame!

I don't buy into the logic that it is perfectly ok to be as noisy as you want for a time, but at the very instant the clock strikes a certain hour then it is suddenly classified as evil and harmful and places are slapped with closures. Noise at 11pm can be just as annoying or even more of a problem than noise at 3am.

I don't buy into the logic that it is perfectly ok to be as noisy as you want for a time, but at the very instant the clock strikes a certain hour then it is suddenly classified as evil and harmful and places are slapped with closures. Noise at 11pm can be just as annoying or even more of a problem than noise at 3am.

EXACTLY! But the point of the social order policy is not about noise... but about keeping young Thais away from the evils of nightlife.

Recent statistics show, however, that Thai under-age drinking in clubs is NOT a problem.

So, to address the real issue.... what is the real issue? Especially in Phuket where tourism is the staple of the economy.

Zoning is the answer... and SOUND-Proofing!

Nightclub clampdown resumes

So, what do they expect us to do? Well, no problem: I will send all 15 employees in my karaoke home to Isan, and close the place. I've just been feeding them since Tsunami, there were almost no customers, but that's the way you take care of nice people working for you. Now, as we get a little bit more income and loose less money per day, another clampdown is around the block, mpf! :o

What about making a compromise and giving repeat noise offenders a closure, as suggested above, of say a week or a few days (they will lose quite a lot of money in that time, but not long enough to make it worthwhile sacking the staff).

This should help encourage noise control.

Then perhaps also put in place an order that they have say 6 months to put noise control measures in place - say soundproofing or noise control barriers, absorbent panelling etc, and they must then prove that they have complied, and that noise emanating from their establishment meets specific criterea?

I know this sounds a little bit too organised and structured an approach, but I see it as a possible solution that would be fair - it does not stop the club from operating, and simply puts the onus back onto the owners/operators that if they wish to keep trading, they have to address the complaints and fix the problem, and sets a time limit for doing so.

No-one can then complain that they weren't warned.

It would also allow a club a reasonable period of time to comply without putting a huge financial strain on them in one lump - something that no-one can easily absorb whilst maintaining normal operations.

If the affected club owners were to get together to address these problems, they might well be able to do some bulk deals with acoustics people and the associated suppliers and installers.

Hopefully then it would help minimise the costs and losses, and help to maintain Phuket as a desirable holiday venue for all tourists, family and individuals alike.

Just a thought...what do you guys think?

:o

What about making a compromise and giving repeat noise offenders a closure, as suggested above, of say a week or a few days (they will lose quite a lot of money in that time, but not long enough to make it worthwhile sacking the staff).

This should help encourage noise control.

Then perhaps also put in place an order that they have say 6 months to put noise control measures in place  - say soundproofing or noise control barriers, absorbent panelling etc, and they must then prove that they have complied, and that noise emanating from their establishment meets specific criterea?

I know this sounds a little bit too organised and structured an approach, but I see it as a possible solution that would be fair - it does not stop the club from operating, and simply puts the onus back onto the owners/operators that if they wish to keep trading, they have to address the complaints and fix the problem, and sets a time limit for doing so.

No-one can then complain that they weren't warned.

Nah it won't work. TIT.

We I owned a nightclub in Oz, I had sound issues. We ended up sound proofing the place. Worth the money. I mean my license was until 5am. Its not cheap to do it properly. Zoning is the best idea. Put the clubs in the industrial part where hopefully, there are no residents.

The sad truth though is TiT.

Carl

It would also allow a club a reasonable period of time to comply without putting a huge financial strain on them in one lump - something that no-one can easily absorb whilst maintaining normal operations.

If the affected club owners were to get together to address these problems, they might well be able to do some bulk deals with acoustics people and the associated suppliers and installers.

Hopefully then it would help minimise the costs and losses, and help to maintain Phuket as a desirable holiday venue for all tourists, family and individuals alike.

Just a thought...what do you guys think?

:o

Really, it amazes me how stubborn Thais can be, all this losing face

business, under the table payments etc and then this hypocritical clamp

down on night clubs/disco's etc.

However, contrary to popular belief, most people in Pattaya and Phuket

work during the hours 06.00am - 12.00am.

Night life is not the only source of tourism income either, though anyone

getting up at 2pm everyday, might think otherwise.

The Thais fail to see that a 'quality' destination for families etc, which is

what they are keen to attract, is somewhere where during the day they

can either relax, enjoy safe and clean beaches, eat decent food at reasonable

prices, be safe while walking along the roads and not constantly being ripped

off buy money wolves.

Also the majority, would like a good night's sleep too.

The problem here is that alot of the things mentioned above have deteriated

in the last 5 years so much and thanks to Internet etc, this is getting around.

Do people really think that the Tsunami is the the only reason why people are

staying away? Of course not. L.O.R. maybe???

That said, people like to party while on holiday and these 'unclear' night time

rules are badly affecting the evening industry.

Soundproofing I read? Yes, a good idea BUT why do Thais insist on building

a new condo or apartment right next to a row of discos/beer bars?

3rd road or Soi Baukao in Pattaya are a classic example, there are many more.

Although the law officially states 01.00am as closing time, I notice that many

are now open until 02.00am, while there has been no official announcement

of a change.

Again, to avoid losing face, things just revert back to the old way.

I can understand people complaing about excessive noise at 05.00am, I have

experienced that myself many times in Phuket, so sound proofing is an answer

but also enforcing the law!

It is not fair on the businesses that do close at 01.00am to find others staying

open until 04.00/05.00am, just because they have an 'arrangement'.

This is the key problem. If the Thais authorities just said, ALL bars must close

at 02.00am or 03.00am (these times seem more realistic to me) and the law

was equally and fairly enforced, I am sure there would be an end to this ongoing problem.

As far as protecting Thai youth goes, now that's a joke!

Most of these 'shutdowns/raids' occure in Falang orientated places, where Thai

do go too but the real 'Thai' places seem rarely affected.

Just recently, I went to the Mandalay in Chiang Mai with a friend who is 19. He

showed 'his' I.D. card but nobody bothered to check it properly. Of course it

was a friend's card, those old photos all look the same but the people at the

club were more interested in getting the BT.300 entrance fee from me!

It does not have to be a police state here, really but it is time that the authorities

woke up to the year 2005. Those awful Thai soaps on TV and the brain-washing

adverts on TV are affecting the thai youth far far more than sneaking into a disco,

to let off steam.

I can see, I have wandered from one side to the other with this letter but I hope

someone might understand it.

Joker

was phucket busy 2 or three years before, i believe so,

all these clampdowns and noise problems were there before with bars open until 4,5,6 o'clock.

maybe the authorities can learn: DO NOT FIX ANYTHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN

Random tests for drug use were also carried out on July 1 in Soi Bangla, Patong, on July 8 in Tambon Srisoonthorn, Thalang, and on July 15 in Karon and Nai Harn. Of a total of 460 people tested, 12 tested positive for drug use.

460 people bringing money into the country pissed off, excuse the pun, to find 12 that have used 'drugs'

Makes a helluva lot of sense while trying to increase tourist numbers. TiT. :o

BTW, about random tests, can any cop stop anybody anywhere and demand some piss? Pretty police state-ish :D

Oh; and a "positive" can come of cold medicines, slimming tablets, sports supplements and anything else containing the ephedra plant or ephedrine.

One will have to follow that with blood tests to ensure that illegal drugs were actually the cause of the positive piss-test. Nothing like getting a needle stuck in the arm at a seedy police station in Thailand, due to a stuffed nose - to start of a great holiday! :o

So what's new? It's the same old song and dance. Just because businesses are suffering from tsunami/terrorist/sars/whatever doesn't mean the friendly big wigs and police suddenly don't have mortgage payments, suv payments, mia noi payments, whiskey bills, etc.

I used to live in Phuket. All the silly crackdowns, the road blocks, the driver license checking, helmet harrashing things got really dull. It totally detracts from the feeling of living in paradise. Heck, I was treated better by police in Sri Lanka.

Sad, sad, sad. But then again what's new? TIT. Lovely place, bizzarre logic.

TIT 4 Shure !!! politican Madness never stop's.. Laws times 100 000 and add 100 000 laws and you will get a picture of the bullshit down in Thailand theese days. The good days are over buddys. And Yeah this is not exactly what Puket needs now. But then again maybe the economi is set and somebody wants to stop the tourist industry slowly. Think about it.. TIT

They spend a lot of money on various projects to get the tourists back to Phuket, and now at the same time they do stupid things like this to keep them away. :o

Typical of one government department not knowing/caring what the other is doing and everybody out to protect their own little fiefdom.