Break In'S In Rawai

stuandchris

There has been a spate of burglaries in Rawai again including the two houses next to me in the last week, in one the burglar hid in the roof until the owner had left before committing the crime and escaping.

Just a reminder to be vigilant and always lock your doors and windows even if you are in the house, any unattended room is easy prey.

Reckon this will only get worse if the coming high season is a low spending bust.

I was burgled - at night (!) when I lived in the Sai Yuan area, (albeit 3 years ago).

Other people I know that live in the same area have been burgled too.

I doubt there are many people that have lived here a few years that don't know somebody who has been through the same experience - some more than once.

Doubt its much worse than in the West though, its just that few Westerners bother putting in alarm systems here, whereas they're pretty standard at home.

I was hit 2 months ago between Kata and Chalong. Stupid me left a 40x20cm louvered window open overnight which could be climbed over to from an adjacent balcony, which I never do especially after being told by this British gypo/self-proclaimed burglar that I needed to keep it shut. Luckily the kamoey just took my wallet. It took 5 days before I realized I hadn't simply lost the wallet. That's when I noticed the fresh toe marks on both the outside and inside of the window sill and dust disturbed on the dirty glass right where someone would likely rub against it when climbing through. I also recalled the window being more open than I would have left it that morning too. Funny thing is there are 5 video cameras around the property which the landlord said record for 10 days. For some reason he had just deleted the recordings of the previous days. :annoyed: I suspect the kamoey in the recording was his son or a neighbor friend or something like that. Could also have been the gypo, would make since he ripped me and some others off before.

Burglars are almost always fueling drug habits. Maybe this will help the situation:

"Thieving Meth-Heads Arrested In Phuket"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=407210

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I doubt there are many people that have lived here a few years that don't know somebody who has been through the same experience - some more than once.

Me and the neighbours, both having lived here minimum of 10 years, just of soi nam jay.

Only security we both have are dogs and thai houses, no fences, alarms, video or whatever.

Edited by stevenl

I am in the Sai Yuean area and had a close call. Came back early enough to find someone outside my house, giving me excuses about the house next door being for rent (which it was). When I entered and realised that the window had been opened and the cables to my laptop unplugged (but not taken), I walked outside with laptop in hand, faced him, then looked carefully at his motorbike. He understood me completely and left straight away. Very few words were exchanged. Not been touched since!

Doubt its much worse than in the West though, its just that few Westerners bother putting in alarm systems here, whereas they're pretty standard at home.

Dont know where other people grew up but theres nothing like this level of crime where my parents live.. No where close.

2 villas have some nice small estate from around 7 houses up, and some have 24 hours security, but then again, i lived in one of them in Nai Harn and 2 of my neighbour had break in a 10 house estate with 24 hours security, i was lucky not break ins.

but very nice houses.

2 villas have some nice small estate from around 7 houses up, and some have 24 hours security, but then again, i lived in one of them in Nai Harn and 2 of my neighbour had break in a 10 house estate with 24 hours security, i was lucky not break ins.

but very nice houses.

I think I know where you're talking about, The niche? I use to live there, security was a joke, nearly always sleeping and they'd let everyone in. I was told recently someone had their house emptied there, doors removed to steal the big stuff.

My burger shop was burgled and luckily they only got small change, under 100 baht, and didn't even make a sandwichlaugh.gif. I hope they try again as I cemented broken glass on the area they climbed over.

Same with a bar I know, thieves didn't touch the alcohol, only looking for money.

just had a weird situation at my house yesterday after having our last house broken into about 1 month ago we moved to our new place near stone inn a two story house at about 9:30 am on friday me and my roommate were upstairs watching tv when i hear a door shut we both went down to check he tried to open his room and the door was locked from the inside so i ran upstairs to get he key to his door and i decided to look out the balcony first and saw a thai lady hurrying down the outside stairs when i shouted hey she looked up with a confused look and said shes looking for someone she said a thai name i told her no thai lives here and the last occupant was from england the she proceded to ask if i speak thai i said no and she said sorry about 5 times and left . dont know what to make of it bcause she had her bike left in the middle of the dirt road and theres two bikes in the driveway and she can hear the tv going . anyone know if they use ladies to break in to houses also

Can anyone who lives there recommend where to buy a house.

We like the area but over the last couple of years it seems to have a very high crime rate.

We do not particularly want to live in a estate there but it might be the only way to go.

Burglars want easy escapes, so anywhere that you have many inter-mingling streets, such as off the main Sai Yuan drag, is very attractive.

Take a look up sois that are on the seaward side of Viset Road, or others with dead-ends. Two Villas have something up Soi Sarika, I recall.

...the burglar hid in the roof until the owner had left before committing the crime and escaping...always lock your doors and windows even if you are in the house.

So the burglars entered the house through an unlocked door or window and then somehow clambered up into the roof rafters and hid until the [dozing?] owner left the house for the day??? Doesn't makes sense to me...was he stone drunk or something? I had a friend who always used to return to his place completely sloshed and often fell into bed without closing or locking the front door...and yeah, he was burgled several times.