Usb 3 Hard Drives

Digitalbanana

Do bear in mind that the PC / laptop motherboard must also support USB 3.0

If the motherboard only supports USB 2.0 and you insert a USB 3.0 drive, it will slow down to the speed the motherboard supports.

If you've got a PC and a spare PCI Express 4x slot, you can install a USB 3.0 expansion card However, at the time of writing, this isn't possible with a laptop.

Do bear in mind that the PC / laptop motherboard must also support USB 3.0

If the motherboard only supports USB 2.0 and you insert a USB 3.0 drive, it will slow down to the speed the motherboard supports.

If you've got a PC and a spare PCI Express 4x slot, you can install a USB 3.0 expansion card However, at the time of writing, this isn't possible with a laptop.

Can you expand on the last sentence?

I'm looking to get a "PCI Express to USB 3" card for my laptop.

I'm also looking for a USB 3 hub (to replace my USB 2 hub) and some USB 3 HDD enclosures for my SATA disks.

Of course, it might be cheaper just to get a new desktop PC with lots of SATA ports on the MOBO, as I've got 6 SATA disks, 9.5 TB in total.

laptop usb 3 cards are available, I saw one in tukcom today.

PCI-SATA sata cards are available,2x internal sata +1x internal ide +1x external esata ports,4th floor tukcom, no need to change PC.

USB3 docks were available, as were esata docks,

didn't see any pci express usb3 cards but i would think they would be available.

I'm also looking for a USB 3 hub (to replace my USB 2 hub) and some USB 3 HDD enclosures for my SATA disks.

Of course, it might be cheaper just to get a new desktop PC with lots of SATA ports on the MOBO, as I've got 6 SATA disks, 9.5 TB in total.

Ah... I see that they are available. Sorry about that.

You can add internal SATA ports via a SATA controller card.

laptop usb 3 cards are available, I saw one in tukcom today.

PCI-SATA sata cards are available,2x internal sata +1x internal ide +1x external esata ports,4th floor tukcom, no need to change PC.

USB3 docks were available, as were esata docks,

didn't see any pci express usb3 cards but i would think they would be available.

Ah... I see that they are available. Sorry about that.

You can add internal SATA ports via a SATA controller card.

Wow! Maybe my Christmas present to myself! Thanks for the info.

(Good to see the 'MultiQuote' button is working! ;))

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a good few hours at Pantip looking for the Asus PCI USB3 and SATA card

Had pictures and specs of the card with me

Not a single vendor had one and all just offered me new motherboards :(

If anybody finds a shop selling the ASUS PCI card please let me know as I do a lot of USB copying but not willing to change my 8 month old motherboard

I spent a good few hours at Pantip looking for the Asus PCI USB3 and SATA card

Had pictures and specs of the card with me

Not a single vendor had one and all just offered me new motherboards :(

If anybody finds a shop selling the ASUS PCI card please let me know as I do a lot of USB copying but not willing to change my 8 month old motherboard

Not the Asus that you want but Buffalo here, shop online:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/computer-accessories/buffalo/usb3-0-interface-board-for-pci-express-p002533/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a USB 3 hub (to replace my USB 2 hub)

Has anyone seen these (USB 3 hubs) in stores in Thailand yet? I only had time for a quick look around Fortune Sunday and they only seemed to have USB 2 hubs.

Had quite a good luck around Pantip today and just met with blank expressions when asking fro a USB 3 hub. Ah well, maybe next yr!