Thick Thieves, Easy Investigation

Boater

CHONBURI: Bungling thieves abandoned a stolen pickup and their own car after being unable to find the way out of a housing estate in Chonburi October 2.

They were soon arrested – after returning to the scene and asking police officers if they could have their car back.

Sombat Maithong, 45, reported the theft of his Toyota Vigo pickup to Sriracha Police around 3am.

Mr Sombat said he had spent the night at a farewell party for a colleague at the Sriracha District Electricity Office.

He thought nothing of the thieves as they followed him into the Ladda Village estate in a Mitsubishi Lancer, assuming they were residents.

As he was opening his gate, one of the thieves jumped out of the car, got into the pickup and sped off. Mr Sombat shouted for help and then called the police.

Before long, Sriracha Police inspector Jirarot Rotphanuphat discovered both the pickup and the car abandoned in the estate.

In the trunk of the Lancer, police found wire cutters, pieces of metal suitable for picking car locks and various other items.

Shortly afterwards Miss Pacharee Deeram, 18, and Ekaphong Khongruay, 24, pulled up on a motorbike.

Mr Ekaphong told the officers that he was the owner of the car and would like it back. The pair were promptly arrested.

The thieves told police they drove round and round the estate looking for the way out. When the police arrived, they jumped out of the vehicles and fled on foot.

The Mitsubishi Lancer proved too dear to leave behind, however, so the hapless Miss Pacharee and Mr Ekaphong returned hoping to retrieve it.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/queernews/2010/article9383.html

The guy pulled his truck up to his gate got out to open his gate, then was going to back his truck in. That's how I do it and I leave the keys in because it's a 30 second job. So I don't think he was stupid, just very unlucky that some arsehol_e was waiting to steal his truck.

The guy pulled his truck up to his gate got out to open his gate, then was going to back his truck in. That's how I do it and I leave the keys in because it's a 30 second job. So I don't think he was stupid, just very unlucky that some arsehol_e was waiting to steal his truck.

Its stupid ..................but if you cant see it then ................................:whistling:

Its stupid ..................but if you cant see it then ................................:whistling:

That is your opinion, but stupid may be a little harsh in the overall assessment. I leave the keys in with motor running when I pull into my private drive via a locked/shut gate, and never thought about some little arsehol_e jumping in and speeding off. Since I live at the end of a dead end soi, they would have to do a U Turn to get away, but maybe I should rethink my habits, (carry a 44 mag just for the opportunity, should it present itself). That way I will not be whistling; Dixie nor thunder road.

That is your opinion, but stupid may be a little harsh in the overall assessment. I leave the keys in with motor running when I pull into my private drive via a locked/shut gate, and never thought about some little arsehol_e jumping in and speeding off. Since I live at the end of a dead end soi, they would have to do a U Turn to get away, but maybe I should rethink my habits, (carry a 44 mag just for the opportunity, should it present itself). That way I will not be whistling; Dixie nor thunder road.

Check and see if your insurance will pay out when you leave the keys in and the engine running? everythings an opinion

This is the same for me, I also live down a dead end soi and do this twice a day. My car is already pulled around ready to back in once I open the gate so I doubt the thieve will get far. especially if there is a plant pot in the way!! :whistling:

so I do not think it is stupid at all.

Not sure what the insurance would or would not pay, but the description may be classified as a carjacking instead of auto theft. That is what I will report when they come and retrieve the stiff in the street.

me too. :ph34r:

This is the same for me, I also live down a dead end soi and do this twice a day. My car is already pulled around ready to back in once I open the gate so I doubt the thieve will get far. especially if there is a plant pot in the way!! :whistling:

so I do not think it is stupid at all.

OK Live and learn, had a friend in the UK dragged up her drive when she left the keys in engine running on her driveway one of her gates closed already the other open, nipped into house to get something was inside seconds came out and found someone in her car and she grabbed hold of the still open door he reversed it up the drive demolished the gates and sped off BACKWARDS dragging her along!!!!

They dont care about damaging your car or property or YOU.