How Long Before You Decided To Buy Instead Of Rent

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your opinions .......

Lots of different opinions there, and some very good points made...... but the message I am hearing that most seem to agree on is that:

• selling a property in Thailand is dfficult to impossible
  • it is generally going to deprecaite in value over the short-to-medium term
  • Thai's view "used" poperties in a lesser light.

The last point is sort of funny - personally I think a used house is generally better value even at the same or similar price to a new house. It's usually got some after-market improvements or upgrades (such as air-con) and generally will have all the finishes done such as flooring, garden, etc. ...... and most importantly, if the place has any significant structural issues, such as subsidence / settlement, etc. then they will have become apparent.

So in summary, only buy if I intend to (a) live in it forever, or (B) plan to keep it as a rental property.

I suppose a key deciding factor here is the type of property. I am currently in a detached house in a mu-ban. I prefer this rather than a city-centre condo. But I would imagine a condo is a much better "investment" per say. So, logic would seem to suggest that if I want to live in a house, I am better to rent it, because if I buy it I will be stuck with it...... with poor rental prospects, and even worse resale.....

So for now I think "renting" is the thing for me. I cannot say with confidence that I will never want to move..... maybe as my fortunes increase (hopefully) I will want to upsize or move to a better area or decide to send my kids to a different school or change jobs and find myself working on the other side of town........ too many variables, and if I buy then for all intents and purposes I am stuck with it....... for me, that is too much of a gamble!

So, thanks for all the input. Much apreciated.

I'd buy tomorrow if I could afford it.

There's nothing like living in your own home........

one some one else land farang!!

if i cann't own the ground where the house is on

i don't buy!!

+1, I too would buy a house tomorrow if I could own the whole shebang outright in my name, as I cant I will continue to rent.

I rented 4 years 400m from the sea.

Did not want to have my front door hit by winds and hearing the sound of waves 24h/24h

Huge immense horrible 7 bathroom, 6 bedroom house at 5k month. :rolleyes:

Always dreamt of living a few steps away from the sea but knew I would tire.

I hate cities, towns, condominiums, Thai style moobaans (ghettos) where you can smell what they are cooking next door and at what they are on in the bedroom.

Finally decided on 1 rai of land not far from the Middle Of Nowhere and built a house to my specifications. I must add the landowner I share my bed with gave good input also, visitors say we have a cool house when the temp hits 41C.

Live there since 4 years and still would have built differently if I knew what I know today, but such is life and I am not going to built again.

Edited by tartempion

Lots of different opinions there, and some very good points made...... but the message I am hearing that most seem to agree on is that:

The last point is sort of funny - personally I think a used house is generally better value even at the same or similar price to a new house. It's usually got some after-market improvements or upgrades (such as air-con) and generally will have all the finishes done such as flooring, garden, etc. ...... and most importantly, if the place has any significant structural issues, such as subsidence / settlement, etc. then they will have become apparent.

So in summary, only buy if I intend to (a) live in it forever, or (B) plan to keep it as a rental property.

I suppose a key deciding factor here is the type of property. I am currently in a detached house in a mu-ban. I prefer this rather than a city-centre condo. But I would imagine a condo is a much better "investment" per say. So, logic would seem to suggest that if I want to live in a house, I am better to rent it, because if I buy it I will be stuck with it...... with poor rental prospects, and even worse resale.....

So for now I think "renting" is the thing for me. I cannot say with confidence that I will never want to move..... maybe as my fortunes increase (hopefully) I will want to upsize or move to a better area or decide to send my kids to a different school or change jobs and find myself working on the other side of town........ too many variables, and if I buy then for all intents and purposes I am stuck with it....... for me, that is too much of a gamble!

I'm not sure everyone will agree with your comments. Currently, the market is tough pretty much all over the world. If you lived elsewhere, you could get the same comments for sure. So assuming the economy returns to a more robust state, properties do sell here and it is not difficult...and far from impossible. For the right price, anything will sell. I know many, many, many people who have made great money off their investments in property here. And for sure know some who have lost...but all of those were people who had purchased in the past 3-5 years or so.

I also think we are at the bottom of the trough as far as prices go. That's pretty much true around the world. Maybe a little lower, but the upside is huge. Asia is a booming area. Land is limited. In the long run, it will go up.

I'm not sure everyone will agree with your comments. Currently, the market is tough pretty much all over the world. If you lived elsewhere, you could get the same comments for sure. So assuming the economy returns to a more robust state, properties do sell here and it is not difficult...and far from impossible. For the right price, anything will sell. I know many, many, many people who have made great money off their investments in property here. And for sure know some who have lost...but all of those were people who had purchased in the past 3-5 years or so.

I also think we are at the bottom of the trough as far as prices go. That's pretty much true around the world. Maybe a little lower, but the upside is huge. Asia is a booming area. Land is limited. In the long run, it will go up.

Indeed, I will echo that!

My Thai wife, who is most respects is an unusually down-to-earth and sensible soul, refuses to look at any home property that's not new... (We're renting in a very good deal/nice place now, but eventually looking to buy).

She doesn't want something expensive. She doesn't want something fancy. But she's insisting that whatever we buy be new. I've explained the issues and costs about owner improvements....since most new properties we've seen don't even come with air con unit, closets, built out kitchens, etc... But she's unmovable on just that one point... NEW....

I'm suspecting, as regards to Thais, she's not alone in that viewpoint.... Which says something about the prospective resale market here.

I think her/that viewpoint is crazy, for the reasons well expressed above... But I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to change her mind of the subject. And for the sake of domestic peace, I'm not likely to overrule her on the single point she considers important.

Edited by jfchandler

I really can't fathom why anyone over 50 would want to buy a condo here anyway...its just beyond me

Firstly, take into account the risks of being shafted and the possibility of laws forever changing..

Secondly, take the uncertainty of what will eventuate in Thailand after a certain very sad future event occurs. There could be dire ramifications for EVERYONE here, not just farangs.

Thirdly: Why the hack would you pay upfront 3,500,000 baht for a condo when you will quite possibly not live long enough to get the true value/benefit out of it??

And of course theres the possibilty of your ever so shy and demure teerak arranging for your one-time enlistment in the Pattaya sky diving club :rolleyes:

I look at it this way:

3,500,000 (condo price) divided by 8,000 (my monthly condo rent) = 437 (months)

SO (without inflationary factors,as my rent hasnt changed in 4 years anyway)...For the same price you pay for a condo you could rent a place for nearly 40 years :o

I'd have serious doubts i will ever live that long, and whats more i'd have even more serious doubts about trusting a relationship OR any thai female for that long.

For mine the NO1 benefit of renting is i can WALK outta this place tomorrow if i want, without huge losses.

Sure gives me more peace of mind than "having your own place" does

She doesn't want something expensive. She doesn't want something fancy. But she's insisting that whatever we buy be new. I've explained the issues and costs about owner improvements....since most new properties we've seen don't even come with air con unit, closets, built out kitchens, etc... But she's unmovable on just that one point... NEW....

Probably due to Thais deep rooted beliefs in spirits and ghosts. If you were to ask her about getting a 2nd hand condo for renting out to generate an income, and not to stay personally, she will probably give you her blessing.

TRogers, I'd wager you're right about that... I know she believes in such things, though it rarely has ever entered into our real life together. And she's certainly never mentioned that as a reason for her position. But I've gotten that kind of a feeling along the way.

I know for sure, if the subject were just an investment issue to rent out, she'd be perfectly fine. But our goal is getting a home for us....not something to rent out to generate income.

And Ozzie, I'd say you're right about quite a few things, centering on the uncertainties of the future here and lack of legal protections and recourse, among other issues.... But then again, nothing is without risks... And if all of the kinds of things you're alluding to go bad, I and everyone else will have more to worry about that just housing issues....

I like the flexibility of renting, and the ability to gear up or down and change locations depending on one's financial and life circumstances. And fortunately for us, I have a good family landlord and have been living in the same place ever since I moved here.... So I'm perfectly happy in my current circumstance.

But, as the real motivating factor for me, I want to keep my wife happy and provide for her future, after I'm gone, hopefully many years out... And owning a home property of some sort is one way of doing that. If it were just me alone, I'd rent period, no question about it.

My Thai wife, who is most respects is an unusually down-to-earth and sensible soul, refuses to look at any home property that's not new... (We're renting in a very good deal/nice place now, but eventually looking to buy).

I'm suspecting, as regards to Thais, she's not alone in that viewpoint.... Which says something about the prospective resale market here.

I think her/that viewpoint is crazy, for the reasons well expressed above... But I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to change her mind of the subject. And for the sake of domestic peace, I'm not likely to overrule her on the single point she considers important.

Hey JF

If i was thinking in western standards i would back your theory up 100%.

It also urks me to no end how Thais consider everything second hand is no good, even if it is an object that doesnt really deteriorate per se, it is still no good because someone else owned it first..:rolleyes:

AND of course, the good old "face" issue of being seen buying second hand instead of new...regardless of whether its a bargain or not.

In this case however i can understand the good wifeys stance on this one. I have been to a number of peoples houses in BK and from what i've seen the building standards and quality is absolutely atrocious.

Wiring and indeed anything to do with electricity seems to have a very short lifespan.

Doors and fittings might as well be made of balsa wood..things just falling apart after a few years.In most cases repairs are impossible as whatever is exisiting is so flimsy/deteriorated it cant even be worked on.

Ive seen even large basins/vanity units fall down as whatever they used to fix it to a surface has just eroded away.

Pluming and toilets leak and most thais have the mai pen rai attitude to just leave it until the floorboards rot out. (they are paper thin to)

Cracks in the floor and walls from moovement covered over with duct tape is not unheard of.....the list goes on and on

I know of a farang guy in Suratburi who just demolished his wifes family house and started again and by western standards the house wasnt even that old!

TRogers, I'd wager you're right about that... I know she believes in such things, though it rarely has ever entered into our real life together. And she's certainly never mentioned that as a reason for her position. But I've gotten that kind of a feeling along the way.

I know for sure, if the subject were just an investment issue to rent out, she'd be perfectly fine. But our goal is getting a home for us....not something to rent out to generate income.

And Ozzie, I'd say you're right about quite a few things, centering on the uncertainties of the future here and lack of legal protections and recourse, among other issues.... But then again, nothing is without risks... And if all of the kinds of things you're alluding to go bad, I and everyone else will have more to worry about that just housing issues....

I like the flexibility of renting, and the ability to gear up or down and change locations depending on one's financial and life circumstances. And fortunately for us, I have a good family landlord and have been living in the same place ever since I moved here.... So I'm perfectly happy in my current circumstance.

But, as the real motivating factor for me, I want to keep my wife happy and provide for her future, after I'm gone, hopefully many years out... And owning a home property of some sort is one way of doing that. If it were just me alone, I'd rent period, no question about it.

Right on. My wife is the same. Old houses have ghosts. But, she'd be more than happy to live in my parents house after they are gone. Las Vegas, On the golf course, 3 car garage, media room, 300+ SM, beautiful kitchen.... :whistling:

My wife loves the fact that if something happens to me, she has a place to live and doesn't have to worry about moving, etc. Like you, I'd prefer to rent...but this is working out OK. And we are in this for the long term.

For sure the building quality is not the best, but the cost of refurb'ing is pretty low also. I'm amazed at what these guys do for a small amount of money. Not done to perfection, but done fairly well....all the while wearing flip flops!!!

In this case however i can understand the good wifeys stance on this one. I have been to a number of peoples houses in BK and from what i've seen the building standards and quality is absolutely atrocious.

Wiring and indeed anything to do with electricity seems to have a very short lifespan.

Doors and fittings might as well be made of balsa wood..things just falling apart after a few years.In most cases repairs are impossible as whatever is exisiting is so flimsy/deteriorated it cant even be worked on.

Ive seen even large basins/vanity units fall down as whatever they used to fix it to a surface has just eroded away.

Pluming and toilets leak and most thais have the mai pen rai attitude to just leave it until the floorboards rot out. (they are paper thin to)

Cracks in the floor and walls from moovement covered over with duct tape is not unheard of.....the list goes on and on

I know of a farang guy in Suratburi who just demolished his wifes family house and started again and by western standards the house wasnt even that old!

That is one of the reasons why I think a "second hand" house is better...... because anything major that is going to go wrong, will have done so after a few years, and the evidence will be there to see....... the main one is strucutral stuff to be honest because that is the most "unfixable"...... wiring etc., yes that is of concern, but it is fixable relatively easily and cheaply.

So, I'd rather pay say 9MB for a seond hand place than 10MB for a new one...... then spend the 1MB making the changes to the place that I want do..... putting in a decent western kitchen for example, correctly sized air con units with proper thermostats, proper hot water in all bathrooms and kitchen.........etc....... :)

But the point about "buying new" ...... truth be told it wouldn't influence my decision either way, and my Mrs. would probably agree with me......

Secondly, take the uncertainty of what will eventuate in Thailand after a certain very sad future event occurs. There could be dire ramifications for EVERYONE here, not just farangs.

Ozzie - to what specifically do you refer?

Politcs etc.......

......or there is of course the possiblity that Bkk will be below sea level in 10 years time...... according to a news clip on TV a few weeks back..... and with the current floods etc. that is edging closer to the truth (although I don't think global warming will "sink" Bkk that soon :) )

I look at it this way:

SO (without inflationary factors,as my rent hasnt changed in 4 years anyway)...For the same price you pay for a condo you could rent a place for nearly 40 years :o

A 3,500,000 condo for 8000 a month, where is this??? That is a yield of less than 3%, typically yields are 6-10%, otherwise the property is massively overvalued in a downturn market.

I would expect a 3.5 mill condo in Patters to go for about 25,000 month

Just seen this ad in Pattaya Mail

Psc146/43/ 61sqm renovated STS Condo: Wifi, tenant income 9,000 baht, only 1,050,000 baht.

Edited by Forkinhades

Ozzie - to what specifically do you refer?

Politcs etc.......

......or there is of course the possiblity that Bkk will be below sea level in 10 years time...... according to a news clip on TV a few weeks back..... and with the current floods etc. that is edging closer to the truth (although I don't think global warming will "sink" Bkk that soon :) )

corkman,

he is talking about a person we are not allowed to discuss.

FYI regarding new properties, take a look at the following thread,

pay particular attention to posts numbered 10 and 15.

I can vouch for the comments made in post number 15 because I have also viewed properties in the same moo baan and came to the same conclusions.

I look at it this way:

A 3,500,000 condo for 8000 a month, where is this??? That is a yield of less than 3%, typically yields are 6-10%, otherwise the property is massively overvalued in a downturn market.

Psc146/43/ 61sqm renovated STS Condo: Wifi, tenant income 9,000 baht, only 1,050,000 baht.

I guess it just goes to show how greedy some landlords are, or how dumb some farangs are, I dont know which.

Where I live 2 million baht townhouses can be rented for 6,000 per month,

a house worth 3 1/2 to 4 million can be rented for 8,000 per month.

The area I live isnt infested with farangs.

On some of the various points raised above....

I believe the comment about a potentially unsettling event is the eventual passing of a certain prominent individual in Thailand and all that may flow from that....not a comment about the also unsettling flooding subsidence issue.

I also agree about the building conditions in older local housing... But I wouldn't be inclined in that direction, period. When I say used, I mean recently built of good, western standard construction....and just enough time having passed, as pointed out above, to know whether there were any serious structural issues in the original construction. That's another of the advantages to recently built, as opposed to newly built.

And frankly, given the Thai attitudes about resales, I'd expect to get a better deal on a recently built home, presumably with most of the creature comforts already installed, than on a brand new home with none of them installed. Not to mention avoiding the hassle factor of having to arrange contractors to do all the stuff that, REALLY, should be build into a new house as a new house....not things that the buyer has to do as add-ons....

I look at it this way:

Fork - We rent a (recently sold) 15m Baht fully furnished house in Chiang Mai for 32,000 a month.

Pattaya prices are a joke. Life is (comparatively) cheap up North.

I would use a calculation. If the rent i pay per month x 100 is enough to buy the same quality and size house i would buy it.

Rents in Thailand are generally 1/200 the house value, so based on your calculation, it is better to rent. Of course it is usually NOT purely a business decision, as there are intangibles involved. In the end, as has been said, it depends on how long you will be here. I might add that it also depends in how 'Thai' you are, either by marriage or by temperament...

Rents in Thailand are generally 1/200 the house value

Too general an assumption. Rental yield for residential properties like condos and houses vary quite a bit - 8% and 4% respectively.

Yet landed properties are not deemed to be poorer in ROI because capital appreciation of land makes up the difference.

Edited by trogers

Rents in Thailand are generally 1/200 the house value

Yet landed properties are not deemed to be poorer in ROI because capital appreciation of land makes up the difference.

This is not something I had previously factored in to be honest. Baci in farang-land a 4 bed house on a small plot would command much more than a 3 bed on a bigger plot...... but here, in a muban, the price is weighted alot toward to the sizr of the plot..... and of course while the house may depreciate, they are making nay more land, so by supply and demand (in the right area) it can only appreciate...... something I have learned from this thread :thumbsup:

On the the 1/200 rule...... the house I am in at present should sell at 7MB ...... but its more like 10-12MB if local asking prices for similar houes in the area are to be taken seriously..... so its more like 1/300.

It should be noted, I am living and working in Bangkok. I'm in my mid 30's with school children and while I have a good job, I will not be retiring any time soon...... and I cannot see myself relocating to Pattaya, Phulet, Hua Hin or otherwise any time soon. My principle concern is that if I buy a house and then in 2,3,5, 10 years time I decide to move on..... back to the west or otherwise, then I will essentailly be stuck with the property, unable to sell it, or make a huge loss on it. It does not necessarily have to be a great investment per say, because I will live in it as long as I'm in LOS, but if it is going to be the case that I will loose alot of money if I needed to sell up, then I have to question the wisdom. For example:

• Current rent: 35,000 + lets say an average 5% increase per annum on that. So over a period of say 5 years..... thats about 2.3MB in rent.
  • So, if make a bit of a judgement call, downsize slightly to get a house in the 6-8MB bracket, then over a 5 year period I would have "invested" about 30% the value of the house rather than "wasting" it on rent.
  • So, in 5 years I decide to sell...... so the question is, over that 5 year period, factoring in appreciation in land prices, depreciation for the "not new" factor of the building, and then applying a discount to the 6-8MB purchase price, then how much of my 2.3MB "investment" am I likely to loose?
  • If the answer is that I am likely to loose most or all of it, then it is not worth the "investment". If the answer is that in 5 years I should be able to sell it for a similar price that I paid for it, and so can recoup say 70-80% of the 2.3MB, then it seems to make sense to purchase.

With this in mind, do people think I am better to buy or to continue to rent.

There is of course intangible factors to consider - namely that it would be our own castle, and so we could decorate it as we see fit, inside and out, and truly "make the house a home" sort of thing. That is, in itself, worth a premium.

If I snuff it, my wife and children are well cared for in terms of life insurances etc. (7 figures, Euro.... not baht) so having the house as an insurance policy for her is not really a factor I am consdiering.

Many thanks to all contributors.

Edited by corkman

I would use a calculation. If the rent i pay per month x 100 is enough to buy the same quality and size house i would buy it.

Rents in Thailand are generally 1/200 the house value, so based on your calculation, it is better to rent. Of course it is usually NOT purely a business decision, as there are intangibles involved. In the end, as has been said, it depends on how long you will be here. I might add that it also depends in how 'Thai' you are, either by marriage or by temperament...

If you have money in the bank and want to spend it on real estate Thailand is not the only country!

If you can buy somewhere else (your own country) where rent will be 1/100 of the value you can spend half or less of that income to rent something in Thailand. No worries about land ownership too.

If you have money in the bank and want to spend it on real estate Thailand is not the only country!

If you can buy somewhere else (your own country) where rent will be 1/100 of the value you can spend half or less of that income to rent something in Thailand. No worries about land ownership too.

I am weary of buying properties in the US even when rents are 1/00. Factor in those 5+% property tax and high insurance and common fees, I would say it is same same...:lol:

This is flawless advice in my opinion. Especially if you have the capital to invest in your own country without having to borrow to much.

Rents are sky high in most of our countries now, so if you find the right property you will get a good return regardless, perhaps even better than here. (i suspect maybe not the case in USA though!)

Added to that you will have a lot more protection against unpredictables..

Fair Laws (and protection) you CAN understand and rely on to some extent...less corruption

Property managers that WILL do their job (or at least wont be able to abuse the system freely like some other countries can)

AND of course you can actually own it 100%!!!!

IMO, True stability is not being at the mercy of a female...what a bonus!!

edit: last sentance adjusted to include all females, not just one race B)

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Well unfortunately I do not have the money sitting in the bank..... I don't even have a deposit sitting in the bank..... I'd have to do some hard saving for that, and a bit of creative accounting......

Edited by corkman