Tourist Shopping & Food

ThaKing

Hi all,

My fiance, a couple of friends and I will be heading to CM in the next few weeks for a short holiday. Well, not quite a holiday, but I am actually getting married to my soon-to-be wife up north.. But that is beside the point.

I've been to CM & Bangkok and many places in between in the past a a solo backpacker and have done the tourist markets and street side vendors, but now I actually want some advice rather then believing that 'I am a skilled and experianced backpacker. I wont get ripped off!'. After we see the sights and eat the food, there will be shopping on the last day fo the "genuine" jeans, t-shirts, etc...

Obviously most people would say that BKK is the place to do shopping, but with such a large expat community in CM, there must be good shopping to be had...

So I am here now, wondering if anyone can advise me where to go?

Is Warawot (sp?) Market the place to go?

Is there anything similar (perhaps not as big) to MBK - indoor market atmosphere?

As I said, looking for jeans, t-shirts, jumpers, etc...

Also, I know this has been asked hundreds of times before, but where is a decent place to go for food? We are staying in the old city, and will be looking to show my friends some great food, but honestly, we want to stay away from the 'tourist trap' - so again, we need advice. My fiance and I are vegetarian, but we can usually find something on the menu, so not really fussed if its a vego or mixed venue.

Thanks for your help!

ThaKing

Wararot Market is the best place for the cheapest stuff if you know what you are buying; my wife shops there a lot.

Surprising to some (or maybe not?) of the resident expats, we also find great deals at both Kad Suan Kaew and Airport Plaza. I say it may be surprising because I never hear anyone talk about going there for clothes or recommending them in a post here. But then the subject has not specifically come up that I can remember.

Never the less, go to Robinsons & Central and look at their sale items. I find better quality and colors there, but it is a matter of deciding if the quality is worth the price.

Having been here before, you probably remember that both have supermarkets and 43 different kinds of restaurants with all types of food from street vendor type to the Sizzler salad bar.

But if you are going up north, Mae Sai is another place where we buy clothes when we are there.

Hi Noise,

Thanks for the info...

As a backpacker, i will say that although I spent time in CM, most of the time i was hung-over, drunk, or recovering around the moat/night market/bars...

I will have to admit that I have no idea in the slightest where Kad Suan Kaew and Airport Plaza are...

I'll assume that Airport Plaza is right by the airport, but no idea where Kad Suan Kaew is...

Also is "Robinsons & Central" a shop or centre?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good resturant & bar where we can go for a drink/food?

I loved THC opposite the gate, but that could have been my backpacking naievity...

Thanks again!

ThaKing

I assume you have a map of Chiang Mai. If not then go to Google Earth and check out the rough locations.

The inner city is surrounded by a moat, but the shopping areas of the city extends to the west near the mountain (Doi Suthep) and the Ping River on the east. The airport is located at the south west corner and 3 km outside the inner moat. The main hospital and the university area is at the bottom of the mountain and near the Nimmenhamen area. The Kad Suan Kaew plaza is similar, but older than the Airport plaza. it's located off the north west corner of the inner moat. The big Warotot market that most Thais visit is near the Ping River and outside the north east corner of the moat. The night bazaar is just outside the moat (1 km) and runs parallel to the east side of the moat. If you go straight north from the night bazaar then you run into China town and the big Warotot market where Thais do most of their shopping. The moat is 1.6 km (one mile) square from side to side.

Warotot Market - you can just about get lost in all the stores.

Chiang_Mai_market_4.jpg

China_town_market_4.jpg

China_town_market.jpg

Why come here to buy jeans and tee shirts? You can buy those anywhere in the world. Here you have a wonderful selection of fabrics, especially high-end fabrics and skilled tailors and dressmakers who can make anything, usually within just a few days.

If you enjoy salads, the best place I have found is A Salad Concept on the corner of Nimmarnhemin Road at Soi 13. Hydroponic lettuce, choice of 5 out of about 20 toppings, homemade dressings served on the side in a cup, all for 50 Baht. Plus for extra you can order feta cheese, roasted chicken, etc. Fantastic. I eat there every day or bring one home for later. It's really the best!

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=a+salad+concept+chiang+mai&fb=1&hq=a+salad+concept&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&cid=12170679553501090003

Why come here to buy jeans and tee shirts? You can buy those anywhere in the world. Here you have a wonderful selection of fabrics, especially high-end fabrics and skilled tailors and dressmakers who can make anything, usually within just a few days.

True that, Nancy. Because so much stuff is imported from China, and Thailand has high import duties, I can often buy clothes cheaper at Walmart in Canada than I can in Thailand, but just wandering around the Warorot market is interesting... even if you don't buy anything.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies...

NancyL & IanForbes - I completely understand what you mean, and this is not what I and my fiance will be doing. But, I know for a fact that our friends will be looking to get some new jeans, t-shirts, hats, etc... Some may get suits made, some may not buy a thing, but never the less, I was hoping that I could find out the best places to visit for these items.

Venturalaw - Thanks heaps for the salad shop... On all my travels around the globe, a good salad is something I truly miss. Being vego in a Sth East Asian country is easy, so many choices and options, but on occasion, I do want a cold, fresh salad.. I will be heading there for sure...

Thanks again guys,

ThaKing

Venturalaw - Thanks heaps for the salad shop... On all my travels around the globe, a good salad is something I truly miss. Being vego in a Sth East Asian country is easy, so many choices and options, but on occasion, I do want a cold, fresh salad.. I will be heading there for sure...

You're welcome. A Salad Concept also has blended fruit and vegetable drinks, a GREAT Caesars salad, and delicious deserts.

If you've never tried hydroponic lettuce you are in for a treat. I never had it before settling in Thailand. It's really the best. Enjoy and welcome.

Edited by venturalaw

• 3 weeks later...

You're welcome. A Salad Concept also has blended fruit and vegetable drinks, a GREAT Caesars salad, and delicious deserts.

If you've never tried hydroponic lettuce you are in for a treat. I never had it before settling in Thailand. It's really the best. Enjoy and welcome.

Have to agree. We tried Salad Concept tonight and it is excellent. Portions generous too.

Regards