Business Set-Up

POAK

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out. Like many Farangs, I am looking to come over early next year to get married and I and the little lady are looking at possibly opening a coffee shop somewhere in Bangkok. Yes I already know there are a million coffee shops in Bangkok, but we want to set up a business of some sorts.

Where is the best location to tap into the Farang market, we are looking for a good shop front location where there are many people.

Where should I look for furniture and shop fittings at a low cost, we want to possibly get things from other business that have shut down and want to get rid of their items at a reasonable price.

Is there Office/Business type auctions houses that deal in these sorts of items in Bangkok?

Any suggestions and or help would be much appreciated.

Bangkok is such a huge city and difficult to get around, that unless you've been there a while it's hard for anyone to make a recommendation.. Even when you know the city it can still be confusing. Choosing the right location for a small business would depend on many things and not the least of which would be rental costs and who your clientel are going to be. And, most paramount would be the product you are offering. Many Thais seem to open similar shops nearby to ones already established. Then, they wonder why they don't succeed. Only you can determine what is best for you. If you could find a nice location for a coffee shop close to large comanies who haven't got an outlet like that nearby then you might be successful.

My advice is that unless your Thai girlfriend has business experience in Thailand, is shrewed, intelligent, has in depth knowledge of the kind of business you wish to become involved in and totally knows what she is doing, is to leave well alone.

When investing your savings into these kinds of ventures, you will be totally reliant on your Thai partner to be able to make the right decisions and keep you out of trouble.

Consider carefully before you jump into the deep end.

Edited by Beetlejuice

My advice is that unless your Thai girlfriend has business experience in Thailand, is shrewed, intelligent, has in depth knowledge of the kind of business you wish to become involved in and totally knows what she is doing, is to leave well alone.

VERY good advice! :thumbsup:

COULD YOU TELL US ABOUT YOUR LITTLE LADY, did you ,meet on the net or a bar. your story sounds like the classic boy meet girl on web or bar and buy business and lose lots of money.

you know theres a million coffee shops and you want to open the 1,000,001th one with no discernible knowledge.

if the whole idea was your gfs you might want to call off the nuptials, trust me building the house is next on her agenda!

Edited by jorgelupo

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I have been in the relationship for the past 3 years, she has been out to visit me and learn English on a 6 month visa and I have recently just returned after finding some contract work in Bangkok and have lived there for the past 8 months.

My fiancée and I plan to marry next year and she has worked in the current coffee shop / bakery for the past 2 years.

I have some basic business knowledge (never had my own business) and have looked on the internet for business currently for sale.

We would like to find a small shop with accommodation above it so it would make it easier for us to run the business, nothing over the top and I know location, location is the number one factor in the venture if we decide to go ahead with it next year.

sounds good to me.

i still think you should pass though, how many places with the type of operation you have in mind do you see with farang customers.and no its not all about location.

can you give value to the customer? you do know good locations dont come cheep!

all the good locations are taken. you can consider having a shop at "second MBK" which is on process on rama 9 road. Or at Abac (Assumption University) Bagna side. I have seen many good spaces there just outside the campus. not many expats there but loads of students with high spending power.

sounds good to me.

i still think you should pass though, how many places with the type of operation you have in mind do you see with farang customers.and no its not all about location.

can you give value to the customer? you do know good locations dont come cheep!

In Soi Suan Plu there are at least three coffee shops/bakeries. All of them empty. Much cheaper to buy the Thai equivalent from their carts, right outside the coffee shop doors.

Having said that, I did suggest to one of the shops whose tables were designed like large books, that she'd probably make more money if she added a second hand English book service, similar to those on Phuket as to buy a book you had to schlepp all the way over to Sumkhumvit for the nearest little bookstore (billed as the best in Bangkok, (I would beg to differ. Ratanakosin chock full of good cheap contemporary works). She never did though. Too much effort.

Is this a secondary income or is this your plan for a primary income?

If you already have a job or form of income and this coffee shop is just a side business for the wife to run and see where it leads, then why not. Go for it!

But if this is the plan for primary form of income for both of you, it sounds like a very bad idea. Keep in mind that you won't even be able to work at the coffee shop. Will that sit well with your wife if you're at home thinking of "big ideas" for this coffee shop, and she's there every day for 10 hours grinding coffee beans?

Thanks for all your replies. If we marry next year, can I get a spouse visa which will allow me to run and work in the business?

Married visa does not come with a work permit.

In order to get a work permit you need to: (other members please correct me if my facts are a bit off):

- Work for a company with 5 Thai employees (per 1 Foreign employee)

- Company has to be VAT registered

- Company has to have 2million THB paid-in capital

- You must receive a salary of at least 50K per month (or atleast declare and pay tax on this amount)

- Your position must be specialized (ie local Thai person cannot reasonably do the job)

Which pretty much all of those conditions are unrealistic for a coffee shop.

Edited by dave111223

Thanks for you post. I went to the ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL today and the lady that I spoke to said that I can apply for a 60 day visa before I go to get married.

I can then register once we are married which will allow me to open and run a business in Thailand, own property and own a vehicle in my own name.

She said that I can then apply for either a B VISA or an O VISA after we are married.

If I havent got it all wrong, doesn't that mean that after I marry my partner we can look to open a business and I can help run it?

Edited by POAK

Thanks for you post. I went to the ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL today and the lady that I spoke to said that I can apply for a 60 day visa before I go to get married.

I can then register once we are married which will allow me to open and run a business in Thailand, own property and own a vehicle in my own name.

She said that I can then apply for either a B VISA or an O VISA after we are married.

If I havent got it all wrong, doesn't that mean that after I marry my partner we can look to open a business and I can help run it?

There are rules like the others said you have to have 5 thais working for you before you can get a workpermit. And you need to set up a business with 2mil capital (not 100% about the latter because i did it with less but its big hassle and you get shafted by your accountant i am one so i know they are overcharging)

I have been living here for a long time, believe me, your g.f. wife can run the coffee shop, you are not allowed to even touch a coffee cup, read the articles from the others, it is very difficult to run a business in Thailand, If you want a work permit, you have to prove that you do something that is impossible to be don by a Thai person

[/size]

You seem to have been given misleading information.

"own property": You can own a condo if less than 50% of the building is owned by Foreigners. You cannot own land (house/townhouse etc..) in your own name whether you are married or not.

You can apply for a "O Visa" after marriage which will allow you to stay in the country for up to a year on each renewal.

A "B Visa" is a visa based on having a job...so you need to find employment (with a company meeting the 5 Thai employee, capital etc.. requirements) Then you'd apply for a B Visa and work permit. (Note that if had an O Visa there would be no point in applying a for a B Visa as you'd already have a visa, you'd just apply for a work permit)

A work permit doesn't come "with" any visa. A visa allows you to stay in a country, a work permit allows you to work. They are 2 separate documents.

I would suggest moving this topic to the visa forum as they will be able to give better advice in there.