4 North Korean Women Surrender To Police In Chiang Rai

webfact

4 North Korean women surrender to police in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI: -- Four North Korean women surrendered to police in this northern province late Sunday and asked for help to be resettled in a third country.

The four women, who could not speak Thai and English, carried their bags to meet police at the Chiang Rai Mung police station at 15 minutes after midnight.

A North Korean interpreter told police that they had sneaked into Thailand at a border area in Chiang Saeng district and took a bus to the Muang district.

They decided to surrender with hope to be resettled in resettled in a third country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-18

They should not be sent back there. That would likely mean death. What is Thailand's policy dealing with North Korean refugees? Are they sending any back?

Lets hope its not the same as they did with the Boat people down south which was a good beating and a day of sunbathing on the beach and then sent back out to sea.

Nice

DK

They should not be sent back there. That would likely mean death. What is Thailand's policy dealing with North Korean refugees? Are they sending any back?

Hopefully they won't ask them to swim back.

If I remember, there have been some stories of them getting refugee status and South Korea takes them.

If I remember, there have been some stories of them getting refugee status and South Korea takes them.

That has been the "norm" the last few years....off to Sth Korea

This last is correct. There's an arrangement between governments. The real question here is why this is 'news.' Dozens, if not hundreds, of N. Koreans come across this border every year. Usually, all parties involved--smugglers, Immigration police, Thai and South Korean governments--do their best to keep this under the radar. As long as it doesn't become news, it's allowed. Boo on the Nation for reporting this, better they did their homework and realize they're potentially doing people harm.

This last is correct. There's an arrangement between governments. The real question here is why this is 'news.' Dozens, if not hundreds, of N. Koreans come across this border every year. Usually, all parties involved--smugglers, Immigration police, Thai and South Korean governments--do their best to keep this under the radar. As long as it doesn't become news, it's allowed. Boo on the Nation for reporting this, better they did their homework and realize they're potentially doing people harm.

This arrangement between governments must be relatively new.

The escape route has been well known for many years. Usually in the past, though, I gather the North Koreans also tried their best not to get caught by Thai police. They usually headed straight to BKK and got on a plane to South Korea with false documents.

The Laos leg of their journey involves trudging through jungle for a number of days - for which most of them are ill prepared - so maybe this particular group just had a tougher time of it and just gave themselves up out of exhaustion, unless this new 'agreement' thing is true.

Could not agree more - especially if North Korean but they need to remain anonymous or their families will suffer as a warning to others not to attempt 'escape'.

I saw some show awhile ago about this. They need to sneak across the DPRK-China frontier, through China and Laos to LOS, then usually a car takes them directly to the South Korean embassy in Bangkok. There is a sort of Underground Railway that helps along the way.

They go back to DPRK if caught in China or Laos. Don't know what happens if caught here before they get to the SK embassy.

Their families suffer tremendously when they are discovered to have left DPRK. Supposed to be the reason why most don't make the attempt

"" The escape route has been well known for many years. Usually in the past, though, I gather the North Koreans also tried their best not to get caught by Thai police. They usually headed straight to BKK and got on a plane to South Korea with false documents.

The Laos leg of their journey involves trudging through jungle for a number of days - for which most of them are ill prepared - so maybe this particular group just had a tougher time of it and just gave themselves up out of exhaustion, unless this new 'agreement' thing is true. ""

My favourite subject at school was Geography......so without giving the game away ....How do refugees completely circumvent China in the North by several hundreds of miles. Go trudging through jungles in Laos/Cambodia avoid stepping on US ordanance and blowing their legs off and end up in North Thailand with enough money to get to BKK. Then get on a plane with "false documents" and fly to South Korea.....!!!???

If there is an "agreement" between the governments to re-patriate. Why would they need false documents?

I read the details on the link and other articles before, these people are "dirt poor" so getting enough money together to bribe, feed and travel around must be nigh on impossible.

All very sad.

I really feel for these poor people. George Bush and Tony Blair went marching off round the globe to rid us of the worlds evil dictators...but only in mineral rich countries overflowing in oil reserves strangley enough.....so they avoided North Korea, Mr Mugabe and Thailands sister dictatorship on the Western border..........

"" The escape route has been well known for many years. Usually in the past, though, I gather the North Koreans also tried their best not to get caught by Thai police. They usually headed straight to BKK and got on a plane to South Korea with false documents.

The Laos leg of their journey involves trudging through jungle for a number of days - for which most of them are ill prepared - so maybe this particular group just had a tougher time of it and just gave themselves up out of exhaustion, unless this new 'agreement' thing is true. ""

My favourite subject at school was Geography......so without giving the game away ....How do refugees completely circumvent China in the North by several hundreds of miles. Go trudging through jungles in Laos/Cambodia avoid stepping on US ordanance and blowing their legs off and end up in North Thailand with enough money to get to BKK. Then get on a plane with "false documents" and fly to South Korea.....!!!???

If there is an "agreement" between the governments to re-patriate. Why would they need false documents?

I read the details on the link and other articles before, these people are "dirt poor" so getting enough money together to bribe, feed and travel around must be nigh on impossible.

All very sad.

I really feel for these poor people. George Bush and Tony Blair went marching off round the globe to rid us of the worlds evil dictators...but only in mineral rich countries overflowing in oil reserves strangley enough.....so they avoided North Korea, Mr Mugabe and Thailands sister dictatorship on the Western border..........

You show very little knowledge of geography and world politics when you consider that the main reason NOT to invade N. Korea is their lack of resources. You may also consider that they have the backing of China, have quite a large military coupled with a persecution complex, may well possess nuclear weapons, and that the border is in artillery and rocket (and also missile) range of Seoul. And you think Bush is an idiot!

Usually in the past, though, I gather the North Koreans also tried their best not to get caught by Thai police. They usually headed straight to BKK and got on a plane to South Korea with false documents.

The Laos leg of their journey involves trudging through jungle for a number of days - for which most of them are ill prepared - so maybe this particular group just had a tougher time of it and just gave themselves up out of exhaustion, unless this new 'agreement' thing is true.

Wonder what they do for money? I doubt the N Korean currency is convertible and, even if it was, it'd be worth precious little. Not to mention the extreme poverty of the N Korean people in the first place making it hard to save anything.

All very sad.

You show very little knowledge of geography and world politics when you consider that the main reason NOT to invade N. Korea is their lack of resources. You may also consider that they have the backing of China, have quite a large military coupled with a persecution complex, may well possess nuclear weapons, and that the border is in artillery and rocket (and also missile) range of Seoul. And you think Bush is an idiot!

And add the announcement the NK can produce thousands of Chemical Weapons.. The NK military is at least if not more nationalistic as is the SK military. It would be one :hit-the-fan:considering Seoul is in artillery range of the border. While it pains to hear about the living conditions in NK, a war would be much worse.

I've watched a couple of programmes on Nth Korea and it is a very frightening place indeed. The people are brainwashed to such an extent that they still believe the old guy (Kim Il-sung) is still alive....in fact he is well and truly dead. Now work that one out.

I can see a tsunami of people arriving into the countries of the peninsula if there was any relaxation at all of the brutal control that is exercised. Nobody could blame them. During the programme it was made very clear by 2 defectors that the whole family that remains of any defector is executed. This is not a choice any of us would want to think about. So, it is often single people and their identity is usually kept secret.

Everything comes from and is owed to the "great one" Kim Jong iL. I guess even famine, brutality, subrogation, tyranny, etc, as well? This is a truly sick society and medieval country that prefers to starve it's poor subdued and shattered people to death and spend the money instead on developing nuclear arms and spoil the army and any other thugs they have under arms. And they have plenty of these armed to the teeth. This is a very dangerous nuclear armed country that we should all be worried about.

They are supported, encouraged and aided of course by that other evil empire...China. It counts among it's other friends, the Burmese regime, that murdering racist nut Mugabe, the Sudanese regime that frequently butchers and rapes the refugees in the dafur camps, and don't forget their old pals the Khmer Rouge, etc, etc, etc. Encouraged by such a powerful country it is unlikely any sort of military action will occur, no matter what the North does. The recent sinking of the Sth Korean warship by this regime was in fact an act of war. I have no doubt the torpedo recovered was a Nth Korean weapon.

I feel very sorry for the people of North Korea. If ever we need to distinguish between good and evil, freedom and captivity, success and failure we need look no further than the border of the two Korea's.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Like the old underground railroad, don't ask about the details until the problem not longer exists. Someone is helping and the less publicity given, the better the system works. again like the old underground railway, one does not want to get caught before they reach safe territory.

nope. they come here because of the policy thailand has. they are regarded here as refugees. Because they guard the south korean embassy extremely heavily in beijing, the refugees usually choose to go to either mongolia or thailand and find the embassy there. if they are caught in these countries, there's no problem. unlike in china/laos. so they are going to be fine. will be detained for a couple months possibly, processed and then sent to ROK.

mmm how did they get to Thailand from N.korea...? Its not exactly that near is it...?

Do they go through China and Laos, if so, why not hop back into S.korea that way rather than round the houses..?

Have you looked at a map, how can they:

why not hop back into S.korea that way rather than round the houses..?

post-33509-017475000 1287416919_thumb.jp

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=nl

South Korea is on the south end of a peninsula surrounded by sea on 3 sides. They would have to be pretty good swimmers to reach South Korea once they got into China.

South Korea is on the south end of a peninsula surrounded by sea on 3 sides. They would have to be pretty good swimmers to reach South Korea once they got into China.

some risk flying using fake passports. it's expensive and dangerous.

some risk flying using fake passports. it's expensive and dangerous.

Yep, that's another risk.

I saw some show awhile ago about this. They need to sneak across the DPRK-China frontier, through China and Laos to LOS, then usually a car takes them directly to the South Korean embassy in Bangkok. There is a sort of Underground Railway that helps along the way.

They go back to DPRK if caught in China or Laos. Don't know what happens if caught here before they get to the SK embassy.

Their families suffer tremendously when they are discovered to have left DPRK. Supposed to be the reason why most don't make the attempt

To make remaining family suffer seems a specialty of countries with 'Democratic' and 'Republic' in their name. The former DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik) was also good at it.

All very sad.

There is a very simple reason, it's called CHINA. The only so called friend of nK.