Good Old Phuket Taxis At It Again!

stevenhb

The Westin Siray Bay has agreed to let the overpriced taxi stand operate outside their hotel but only because of threats and intimidation?(see Phuket gazette)

It's really sad to see how quickly the resort has given into the intimidation by these thugs! Authorities will not help so they have no other choice. I'm really tired of this mafia mentality that seems to run things here in Phuket and how they always get away with it!!

If you read the PG article, the hotel already has a deal with Hello Phuket Taxis to suppy transport. They will have a booth within the hotel.

Do you really think that Hello Phuket won't take advantage of it's position?

The tourists were always going to be ripped off. The question was by which company.

Edited by KarenBravo

If you read the PG article, the hotel already has a deal with Hello Phuket Taxis to suppy transport. They will have a booth within the hotel.

Do you really think that Hello Phuket won't take advantage of it's position?

The tourists were always going to be ripped off. The question was by which company.

I imagine The Westin Managers were in a cleft stick;

They had to give in to blackmail otherwise the taxi mafia could very easily blockade the hotel.

It's position makes it vulnerable to thuggery as there is only one road in, and apart from a shallow beach, no other access.

If I were the manager I would invest in a pier and have my guests taken in and out,weather permitting, by boat.

This would be more enjoyable. Supplies could also come in the same way.

But the prices advertised on The Taxi "GANG's" board needs to be adjusted or the management might have been able to get agreement for them to use meters?

now there's a laugh :rolleyes:

IMO there are too many taxis in Phuket and you see the drivers laying about all day long waiting for a fare, so when they get one the try to make the most of it. by ripping people off. I totally agree about the mafia thing, airport mafia, taxi mafia, tuk tuk mafia, speedboat mafia, jet ski mafia, beach chair mafia. It is so tiresome. Phuket should change it's name to Sicily!!!

Edited by pmgthailand

IMO there are too many taxis in Phuket and you see the drivers laying about all day long waiting for a fare, so when they get one the try to make the most of it. by ripping people off. I totally agree about the mafia thing, airport mafia, taxi mafia, tuk tuk mafia, speedboat mafia, jet ski mafia, beach chair mafia. It is so tiresome. Phuket should change it's name to Sicily!!!

sicily has REALLY good food though and their working girls are above 5/10's

Edited by ilyelol

sicily has REALLY good food though and their working girls are above 5/10's

You mean they are all very tall? :rolleyes: