Swede Robbed At Gunpoint In Hua Hin

george

Swede robbed at gunpoint in Hua Hin

Another Swede robbed in Hua Hin

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=637

HUA HIN: Calle Johansson, 41, was walking around Hua Hin when the two robbers hit him.

- It just smashed in my forehead, and I went groggy. The robbers placed a gun in my forehead, and disappeared with a gold necklace worth about 90,000 Baht together with a fake Rolex watch.

- You can buy a Rolex copy here for under 1,000 Baht, so they did a real mistake, said Calle Johansson.

Running a bakery in Hua Hin

He lives in Hua hin since a year and a half, where he is running a bakery in a local shopping centre.

The robbery was done Saturday evening. Calle Johansson couldn't sleep that night and went out for a short walk and a cigarette. The robbers catched him in the dark Thai night.

No suspect yet

According to the Tourist Police in Hua Hin there is no suspect for the robbery of the Swede, and the police has not yet arrested the robbers.

This is the second time in a short while when a Swedish citizen has been robbed in the tourist town of Hua Hin.

On November 12 a 62-year Swede was robbed after withdrawing 10,000 Baht from an ATM near the luxury hotel of Sofitel in Hua Hin.

Well if you are wearing articles of value you're always gonna attract the attention of undersirables in Thailand. You have to exercise common sense when in Thailand. The less you show when you are by yourself and a night the better your chances..

It's only a matter of time before you're turned over if you wear gold chains and gold jewellery. I myself never wear any gold in Thailand. But I don't go looking for trouble

either.

######, in New York, DC, LA ..... I doubt there is day goes by without a strongarmed robbery. Most of the time seldom a day without a murder. In Thailand, one farang gets rolled and it is a forum item. Maybe that is why I like Thailand so much

in New York, DC, LA ..... I doubt there is day goes by without a strongarmed robbery. Most of the time seldom a day without a murder

and all this is done in broad day light :D , East LA, if you're in the wrong street you are history :o, living in America you get use to it, no big deal

If he is stupid enough to wear a gold chain that is equal in Value to 18 MONTHS working in the local 7/11, it surely is just a matter of time, he would have lasted about 10 seconds in Rio or Manila. And not much longer in many major cities in UK and the rest of Europe.............

I mean to say........c'mon.........a 90,000 baht chain...is it really necessary.....jeeeeeez, i seen all that in Pattaya, tourists walking round with 5 baht gold chains e.t.c., no need for it, maybe they think they will impress people, i think its stupid and irresponsible................. and looks really stupid !!

Jesus h Christ....90,000 baht gold chain!!!!! :D ....................., if that is not a misprint and should be 9,000 baht, .......................................................it seems like he was wearing an anchor chain round his neck!!!!!

Come to think of it, and i do :o ............i think its a misprint and he had a 1 baht gold chain and a small buddha, value around 9000 baht.

East LA, if you're in the wrong street you are history , living in America you get use to it, no big deal

you think that's bad !

where i come from its ten times worse,

only yesterday i were walkin' down street to t'chippy when i were set upon by some visigoths and a bunch of maraudin turkish moors, before i could say "ey'oop

whats tha'doin" i were 'acked to pieces and disembowelled,third time in a week.

they nearly got me chips and scraps.

but livin' in yorkshire you get used to it. no big deal

so top that, tough boy tomy!

East LA, if you're in the wrong street you are history , living in America you get use to it, no big deal

you think that's bad !

where i come from its ten times worse,

only yesterday i were walkin' down street to t'chippy when i were set upon by some visigoths and a bunch of maraudin turkish moors, before i could say "ey'oop

whats tha'doin" i were 'acked to pieces and disembowelled,third time in a week.

they nearly got me chips and scraps.

but livin' in yorkshire you get used to it. no big deal

so top that, tough boy tomy!

I love Monty Python too!! :o

as we speak. robberies goes on all around the world. Even in my country, the small cold Norway, people robb your pocket money if youre on the wrong place.

Even kids. bloody robbers dont care if you are black, white, young or old or big and fat or thin,

let swedes and other wear what you want, just behave and dont be stupid, most of the time you will have no trouble.

Thailand is not worse than other places.

hehe I wanna live in Thailand.

PS: my tax is a kind of robbery too.. all the taxes I pay! shait! for alcohol, gas, etc.. they robb me every year.. and the council tax in UK? my god!! that bloody Tatcher ..

Lemme tell you guys.

I have been in some pretty bad hoods in America during the course of my Job. Even with the protection I have at my side, I still dont feel safe. I would never walk around in South Central Los Angeles ever, Day or Night.

I have walked in some pretty dark areas of BKK, and Pattaya. I have never felt as safe as I have in those places. The statistics of this kind of thing happening in Los Angeles, is like 1 every 30 seconds or less. You have two that happen in 30 days there in Thailand....

Well then again , who want to visit a Thai prison, when they can visit an American Correctional Country Club instead? :o

I've been coming to Thailand for 20 years, it's always been a place that i have felt very safe. i worry far more about personal safety in London. It's a sad fact of life that these things are starting to happen here. Having said that i also believe that we should have the right to feel safe wearing our jewellery. Don't tell us not to wear our gold. I never wear any myself but thats cos i just don't want to! Thai people love their gold too.

Having said that i also believe that we should have the right to feel safe wearing our jewellery
you are absolutely corect, but not a 90,000 baht gold chain walking down the hood,

like Begs said

it seems like he was wearing an anchor chain round his neck

only the pimp wear chain like that, that's a yearly income for some people, no wonder they rob him :o

Guest IT Manager
The trick is to look like a scary motherfu**ker (this means dummie).

:D And how do you achieve that dear? Wear black or a sarong? :o

I know a Chinese-Thai man who could have purchased another luxury car instead of buying the gold and the stones he wears! Ten large amulets under his shirt, two golden pens in his shirt pocket, gold bracelet with diamonds, very large rings with diamonds and emeralds, and a Rolex with diamonds costing over a million baht (no big deal, easy to find!). I never saw anybody wearing as much as he does but look at the Thai customers visiting the jewellery shops at the Emporium mall and you'll see those people...

look at the Thai customers visiting the jewellery shops at the Emporium mall and you'll see those people...

yeah but do you see them walking down hood lane in the mid darkness, they have driver and bodyguard, they like to show off and the perfect place to do so is the Emporium mall, its like

Motorcycles + right hand drive + beer + hooker on the back + Ego = Complete Idiot
:o:D

if you are a visitor, i don't think you will have the chance to come to one of those hood, you're problaly stay where all the tourist stay :o , Hollywood do have those kin of people around, bums and freak walk the street mix in with actor themself, maybe you might see the biggest freak of all MJ :D

Advice for any country ...

This is what has worked for me in the LOS, Mexico, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Canada. I can't vouch for anyone else, nor do I wish to. I am 5'10", 260 pounds. I am a former NCAA All-America in the hammer throw and shotput. I am athletic. I don't like people who try to fukc with me. I am perfectly comfortable punching you or Somchai in the face.

As to looking like a scary mother######er, as a San Diego, California resident, I can offer a few tips. We have our share of gang violence but the majority of crime is perpetrated by freelancers, just like Thailand. Most opportunistic crime is perpetrated by fukcups.

Don't present yourself as a victim. It goes without saying, do not flash money, no matter the amount. Don't take shit, no matter the situation. At all times present the facade of a man in charge. When presented with a robbery opportunity, refuse. Yes, this flies in the face of police advice. Police advice is bullshit perpetrated by attornies in the pursuit of low legal fees.

Most thieves don't want you to be difficult. Maintain your rights as a human being. Be strong. Good luck. Stay sober.

meemiathai, and others:

By all means, enjoy a holiday in Los Angeles, USA, or San Diego, USA, or Phoenix, USA, or Anytown, USA. Just be aware, like in any other country, there are scrupulous and unscrupulous persons who will attempt to separate your hard earned currency from your wallet and transfer it into their wallet. Name a country where this is different.

Perhaps in my country you stand a greater chance of this being a strongarm robbery. Hang onto your shit, don't trust strangers when you are drunk and you should be fine. If you find yourself in a fight, aim for the balls. This works in any country. Good luck and have fun in my neck of the woods.

I think we are blameing the victim a bit too much here, perhaps it wasn't the smartest move to wander around with a 90k gold chain in the dark but it was his and he probably wanted to keep it for a bit longer.

It smacks too much of the rape victim " She was asking for it" because she was wearing a short skirt etc.

This does not alter the fact he was mugged by a couple of scumbags who would rather whack some poor soul on top of the head instead of working.

My motor cost the best part of a million baht, the reasoning here sounds that I should flog it as soon as possible put the money in a bank and take a tuk tuk everywhere just in case these scumbags ever come to Chiang Mai.

I do know a bit about muggings as I used to live in Manchester in the U.K. even the muggers have to go around in pairs as it's that bad there.

My motor cost the best part of a million baht, the reasoning here sounds that I should flog it as soon as possible put the money in a bank and take a tuk tuk everywhere just in case these scumbags ever come to Chiang Mai
If situation requires, then you are right!

One should always take care of oneself.

Say like, you look out you see it raining, you bring your umbrella cos' you don't want to get wet. You think it's cold, you wear a coat. It is as simple as that! You see a situation, you react to cope with it in order to protect yourself.

To wander with a "90K gold chain", the amount equivalent to 1 or 2 years of hard working, is quite the dumbest thing to do unless he was prepared that things like this would happen and he didn't mind.

Why do people have to show off their wealth? A big gold chain and a Rolex? What for? Is he gay or what?

BTW, would it be 9k instead of 90k?