Money Making

Blackandwhite

Best way to make money to cover living expenses  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frankly, Mark 45 n Planet X are using humor, but some of these things could really work. I see them as quite valid posts. The whole flashing braces thing is actually almost like he can see the future. Mark Mark's words !

And B&W... good food will find fans, but there are soooo many other factors that this list/ poll thing is not really going to bet great results. You can look around n see who is doing well in our community. There are a few obvious folks. And then in your circles of expat friends you may know of others with online or export/ design businesses, say. But with food, books, bars, etc.,..... location, venue, atmosphere, price, staffing, overall vibe,... there are soooo many factors. Business success is not any one thing. And if we all had/ knew what where n how, well, I don't think we'd be offering it up as advice as much as going out n doing it.

My own offering, hood (car)or headlight-mounted laser (for motosai) to blast and remove offending songtaews from my path in traffic.

Also, develop a pill that makes somtam taste like strawberry cheesecake.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, Mark 45 n Planet X are using humor, but some of these things could really work. I see them as quite valid posts. The whole flashing braces thing is actually almost like he can see the future. Mark Mark's words !

And B&W... good food will find fans, but there are soooo many other factors that this list/ poll thing is not really going to bet great results. You can look around n see who is doing well in our community. There are a few obvious folks. And then in your circles of expat friends you may know of others with online or export/ design businesses, say. But with food, books, bars, etc.,..... location, venue, atmosphere, price, staffing, overall vibe,... there are soooo many factors. Business success is not any one thing. And if we all had/ knew what where n how, well, I don't think we'd be offering it up as advice as much as going out n doing it.

My own offering, hood (car)or headlight-mounted laser (for motosai) to blast and remove offending songtaews from my path in traffic.

But then 99% of Thai's wouldn't eat it. bah.gif

You are right, food is always a good one, to target tourists means you end up only having a market for a % of the year, targeting the locals and your faced with a lower spending habits than someone on holiday, so your product needs to be cheaper and have a higher turnover to make it pay the way.

I visited a restaurant yesterday and the owner said October is his worse month usually, but last Saturday set an all time record and he has been open for quiet a few years, his location is out of the way and has little amount of parking space, yet people fill the place, even for a Tuesday night he was doing quite good business.

On a different note, I tried to get an appointment with a dentist in Pattaya in south road, now there are about 10 clinics along there and this was in low season yet everyone I went into said come back in a week, one didn't. So a little bit of research like this poll and stomping the streets and I am sure you will find a slot to fit in that can bring in the baht.

Best of luck.

The ones that made it rich in the California gold rush weren't the miners but the ones providing gear/ accommodation to the miners

Edited by PlanetX

Actually I was working on a couple of them. The hair farm idea has potential as does the tap dancing. And who knows about the others. I have listened to very successful advertising agencies brainstorm ideas. Nothing is thrown out at first. Every idea is listened to regardless how strange in hope it may trigger some creativity in someone else.

Edited by mark45y

no one successful businessman will tell you what is most successful in CM . cos he would be doing it and try to keep it a secret and enjoy the niche market .so this poll really lead no where. and in any case. all business can be be a successful one if you do it right and have the right people helping you .then again . if everyone is success in it someone got to fail . -DO what you know best . and do what you enjoy best . why jump onto any wagon so you cna be drag to hel_l by it when you know notthing or just cos some poll said it most sucessful .. you putting your own investment at risk this way.i do serious advice at $1200 usd per hour pm me if you want :) business consultant - niche market Huh !!!!serious Pm me i give you a 10% discount . and every 2 hour you get 1 hour free
I have noticed on many, many of your posts you 'Jokingly' offer your 'advice service' (at exorbitant rates with zero explanation of any expertise or any kind of experience whatsoever)Most of your posts contain a line of 'PM' me for consultation fee...' (to that effect) on a WIDE range of topics. I'm beginning to think your not joking anymore. Now you are saying 'serious contact me for 1200usd/hour?!.There's a fine line between a clown and a clown pandering. The latter has no place here.

whahhahahhahahhah you guys are funny , if you want a discount just pm me . if you want advice you can also pm me . if youw ant map and i got time to draw it pm me , you can jolly pm me for anything . i am serious :)

spoon feeding should be ban

Edited by Ta22

here is some free advice which i love throwing as bone .or rather due to the early morning , just woke up anyway i think a figer work out is good . or just cos i am bored and i personally love business related talk .

1. buy low sell high .

one basic is buy low sell high . you go find something at low cost . bring it to a different geographical location and sell it higher ..

eg. Fruit if one town do not grow apple . the price of apple would cost higher .

depending on how you see profit . if you earn 1 baht an apple . and if felt that a good day of work = at least 3000b , so you need to sell 3000 apple . simple as that .

1.1 in the playing field of buy low sell high , you get all kinda stuff .

eg. Baker . happen to be talking alot about baker recently due to multi thread . flour and butter is not really expensive between 20-30+b per KG . so what you do . invest in some baking eqqt. and start baking .

you should get a profit range of 3-5 time your raw cost . if you target a higher playing field you may price it at 300-500 range . and sell less of your stuff but make better profit V. V is not a sure thing but it fall in the rnage of buy low sell high . same apply for food and many type of business on the market . is build on the buy low sell high range .

1.2 buy low sell high can be very simple yet extremely complex. as cost and value weight and balance itself . there is loop hole in the existing system that allow you to do thing above the buying and selling system .

i would not go into detail for this cos is not for the boys in this field . and the scale is not even for the normal investor to consider .

2. service . base

service base is basically a good choice for many people , providing knowledge pendering to labour pendering .

2.1 in the field of service what you do is help someone . do what he felt he can;t do it . it can be as easy as cleaning the floor to throwing out the trash .

to a more complex helping to do file for your taxes .

2.2 logistic . is to provide a service that help other in doing business . eg. buy low sell high

3. internet .

wow amazing whole new world to many .

3.1 to put it very very simple . i myself is in internet business , at least part of it but not all .

in the old days people get their info from radio , news paper telegram , and later TV .even from the postal mail . Mobile and telemarketing

NOW WE HAVE THE INTERNET . is just a different way of communication . reaches far out to more people .

3.3 the confusing part of the internet is is so BIG . if you want to swim in this vast NET of info . is jolly well like trying to fish for a whale using a worm as bait . if you do not know how .

what what if you got a professional website .

find a niche market . easier said then done , most people know that finding a niche market you get profit by providing to that market alone .

4.1 one eg of niche market sausages but if someone is already doing it , it would not be a niche market . so is really hard to quote you any eg. without giving up the trade secret .

4.3 in order for a niche market to float , it would need it wood . so study your existing market and with effort and understanding or with some help , you will find a market even within a market .

dam_n i am feeling hungry .

Edited by Ta22

'Ta22' "spoon feeding should be ban"Mindless, self-serving, poorly spelled, unfunny "finger-wanking" should be banned.

Thanks you

i don't care if i spell correctly

i don't care really

yes i am mindless zombie

is not meant to be funny , whahhahaahhahha

Edited by Ta22

Designer gas masks with pink kitties on them. Market three months Chiang Mai and the rest of the year Bangkok.

A used book store with dancing clerks in short blue skirts (see skirt paint below) and white blouses.

A sausage market with live sausages that all taste like bratwurst.

A combination sausage market and used book store.

A website specializing in Thai night life written by someone who likes Thai nightlife.

Combination breast implants and cell phones.

Dental appliances (braces) with flashing lights.

Cayenne peppers stuffed with antacid.

Hair farms for wig factories.

An after shave that smells like very old freshwater crabs.

Traffic signals that flash, “Up to you.”

Waterproof food signs in English one of which says, “It tastes like Chicken.” this could also be used for knickers.

Tap dancing studio. The Thai dancing thing has been overdone. They need some new angles.

Skirt paint. To replace university girls blue skirts. Save on laundry costs.

Elephant poop baths. Falang will pay money for anything.

a good business man is also a creative one .

i love creative business man cos there are the real thing :)

just take real business man to discover them

a investor sucker would wait for someone to spoon feed them and their also the one that come posting on this forum that there got scam or stay away from this or that .

Edited by Ta22

no one successful businessman will tell you what is most successful in CM . cos he would be doing it and try to keep it a secret and enjoy the niche market .

so this poll really lead no where.

and in any case.

all business can be be a successful one if you do it right and have the right people helping you .

then again . if everyone is success in it someone got to fail .

-

DO what you know best . and do what you enjoy best . why jump onto any wagon so you cna be drag to hel_l by it when you know notthing or just cos some poll said it most sucessful ..

you putting your own investment at risk this way

i do serious advice at $1200 usd per hour pm me if you want :)

business consultant - niche market Huh !!!!

serious Pm me i give you a 10% discount . and every 2 hour you get 1 hour free

Shikes, for someone who gives serious advice you sure are generous to us TV readersB)

You must have spent hours typing all your bonza bonafide free advice, just on this thread alone

By my calculations that puts you around $1400 out of pocket already...hope you can type fast :lol:

Seriously though, is anyone really taking this thread seriously?

As others have mentioned, if there was a lucrative answer then im very sure those in the know would NOT be broadcasting it to all and sundry on an anonymous internet forum.

I actually have my own idea for a niche food market which im sure would attract positive demand anywhere in Thailand, but im hardly gonna advertise the idea here.

Its not that i lack the up-front cash needed to start such a venture either, more the skepticism of investing ANYTHING in country where there are (seemingly) NO RULES.

No assistance, no reliable or honest help negociating thai laws, and VERY hard (if not impossible) to trust ANYONE where money is concerned..It all makes for just to big a risk in my opinion.

The protectionist style laws in Thailand mean you basically have to have A LOT of dough to set up anything legitimately. So much so that a small scale operator is effectively priced out of the market from day one. Yes,there may be other ways, but they border so close to breaking the law that you put yourself at the mercy of all sorts of unsavoury sources and individuals who could make trouble for you, if not "paid up".

Then add the possibilty that even if you do create a niche market that suceeds, you will almost certainly p7ss someone off (most likely thai competitors) who will provide yet another source of trouble.

I think those who have been branded ranters and labelled doomsday posters here do have a point in this case. A lot of them have probably had businesses fallen by the wayside and are still suffering the consequences.

Anyway,I have just one question about all this:

How is it many posters claim to "own" a business when in fact a farang cannot own anything?? at least not over 50% anyway. Thats always got me stumped???

Not being smart, but it always makes me wonder if what they really should be saying is "my wife OWNS the business"..and as such the so-called business (and marriage) could fold at anytime, on the whim of the wife...and then no leg to stand on for the farang, and not even a visa status if the marriage is over.

Having said all that, if anyone has some cash they want to burn on a smallscale food venture which could have big potential let me know ;)

is all part of having fun . at the same time being serious

don't people always throw away money for many weird reason all the time

Oh yeh, aint that the truth!!!

Most notably the case being guys who have no hesitation spending 1500baht on a girl, downing endless bahts on beer, yet bawk at the price of a coffee at starbucks :whistling:

who was it that said words to the effect?.....I spent 90% of my money on beer and hookers, the rest i just wasted.:rolleyes:

I was very serious about the fortune teller. I have just hosted 3 lots of well heeled Bangkokians who came here with that visit as their main purpose. The stream doesn't look like ending so have now recommended them a hotel as although knew first group very well, connection now is becoming a bit more tenuous as they send friends of friends etc.

They waited at the location starting 4am and were out of there almost midday due to the number of people waiting.

But apart from that (of which I have no aspirations whatsoever), I agree that it would be wise to keep business ideas to oneself.

Seriously though, is anyone really taking this thread seriously?

As others have mentioned, if there was a lucrative answer then im very sure those in the know would NOT be broadcasting it to all and sundry on an anonymous internet forum.

I actually have my own idea for a niche food market which im sure would attract positive demand anywhere in Thailand, but im hardly gonna advertise the idea here.

Its not that i lack the up-front cash needed to start such a venture either, more the skepticism of investing ANYTHING in country where there are (seemingly) NO RULES.

No assistance, no reliable or honest help negociating thai laws, and VERY hard (if not impossible) to trust ANYONE where money is concerned..It all makes for just to big a risk in my opinion.

The protectionist style laws in Thailand mean you basically have to have A LOT of dough to set up anything legitimately. So much so that a small scale operator is effectively priced out of the market from day one. Yes,there may be other ways, but they border so close to breaking the law that you put yourself at the mercy of all sorts of unsavoury sources and individuals who could make trouble for you, if not "paid up".

Then add the possibilty that even if you do create a niche market that suceeds, you will almost certainly p7ss someone off (most likely thai competitors) who will provide yet another source of trouble.

I think those who have been branded ranters and labelled doomsday posters here do have a point in this case. A lot of them have probably had businesses fallen by the wayside and are still suffering the consequences.

How is it many posters claim to "own" a business when in fact a farang cannot own anything?? at least not over 50% anyway. Thats always got me stumped???

Not being smart, but it always makes me wonder if what they really should be saying is "my wife OWNS the business"..and as such the so-called business (and marriage) could fold at anytime, on the whim of the wife...and then no leg to stand on for the farang, and not even a visa status if the marriage is over.

Having said all that, if anyone has some cash they want to burn on a smallscale food venture which could have big potential let me know ;)

The amity treaty for Americans allows them to own a business 100%. There are also BOI exemptions that allow higher ownership levels.

A foreigner can also inherit up to 1 rai of land.

Interesting, do you have a source that confirms and explains that? It just seems strange that in general that a foreigner can not own land but can do so buy inheriting it.

Here's the link

Interesting, do you have a source that confirms and explains that? It just seems strange that in general that a foreigner can not own land but can do so buy inheriting it.

Here's the link

What you mean the thread with

Any foreigner who is married to a Thai national is under Thai law a statutory heir of their Thai spouse can apply for ownership according to section 93 of the Thailand Land Code Act. However, the over fifty year old Section 93 of the Land Code must seen in combination with Section 86; 'aliens may acquire land by virtue of the provisions of a treaty giving the right to own immovable properties and subject to the provisions of this Code'. The last treaty was terminated in 1970 and there is currently no treaty with any country to allow a foreigner to acquire land and no minister will allow a foreigner to inherit land in Thailand. Under present law any foreigner who acquires land by inheritance will have to dispose the land within a reasonable period (meaning up to 1 year) to a Thai national. If the foreigner fails to dispose of the land the Director-General of the Land Department is authorized to dispose of the land and retain a fee of 5% of the sale price before any deductions or taxes.

Why think small ?? Why does it need to be a thai biz ?? After all biz here pays in shiny beads and seashells.

I manage multiple companies from Thailand, while the companies are registered and operated in other markets. My wife owns no shares in them.

OP has requested that we keep this on topic, so lets please honor that request and give it a shot, shall we? It does seem, after all, to be the polite and considerate thing to do, and I am sure that consideration and good manners prevail here in the Chiang Mai forum.

Here's the link

What you mean the thread with

Any foreigner who is married to a Thai national is under Thai law a statutory heir of their Thai spouse can apply for ownership according to section 93 of the Thailand Land Code Act. However, the over fifty year old Section 93 of the Land Code must seen in combination with Section 86; 'aliens may acquire land by virtue of the provisions of a treaty giving the right to own immovable properties and subject to the provisions of this Code'. The last treaty was terminated in 1970 and there is currently no treaty with any country to allow a foreigner to acquire land and no minister will allow a foreigner to inherit land in Thailand. Under present law any foreigner who acquires land by inheritance will have to dispose the land within a reasonable period (meaning up to 1 year) to a Thai national. If the foreigner fails to dispose of the land the Director-General of the Land Department is authorized to dispose of the land and retain a fee of 5% of the sale price before any deductions or taxes.

Feel free to post in the topic in question rather than hijack this one, cheers

1. AMITY TREATY

Americans with a company can set up a treaty under the American-Thai Treaty of Amity. The origins came about allowing both Thais and Americans to have reciprocal same company basis in each other's country. Thus came about the Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations between the United States of America and the Kingdom of Thailand - or Treaty of Amity - May 29, 1968.

The Treaty allows American companies to maintain a majority shareholding or own its company 100%, branch office or representative office located in Thailand. They may engage in any business on the same basis as Thai companies in the USA, and are exempt from restrictions imposed by the Alien Business Law of 1972. There are still areas however, that an American-owned company may not engage in as follows:

1 Land ownership

2 Inland communications;

3 Inland transportation and communication industries:

4 Fiduciary functions;

5 Banking involving depository functions;

6 Domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products;

7 Exploiting land or other natural resources

Amity Treaty registration is still strongly advised as it allows a majority American-owned share company to operate in Thailand. There are currently no changes yet for Amity Treaty apart from what was imposed August of this year that you must register 3 Million baht per company objective. Same rules still apply.

2. INHERITANCE OF LAND

By technicality, you as a foreigner, can still own a house or a building in Thailand as an immovable property. But as far as inheritance of land to foreigners is concerned, the following provisions of law applies:

Section 93 of the Land Code Act states that "A foreigner who acquires land by inheritance as statutory heir can have an ownership in such

land upon a permission of the Minister of Interior. However, the total plots of land shall not be exceeding of those specified in Section 87"

You as a foreigner who is married to a Thai national is considered a statutory heir under the Inheritance laws of Thailand and therefore,

you can apply for ownership according to section 93 of the Thailand Land Code Act. However, as a foreign national, ownership of such

land will not be allowed. It is highly recommended to read Section 93 of the Land Code in combination with ownership under a treaty clause:

Section 86 of the Land Code Act states that "aliens may acquire land by virtue of the provisions of a treaty giving the right to own

immovable properties and subject to the provisions of this Code"

As of the moment, Thailand has no outstanding treaty with any country to allow a foreigner to acquire land and no minister will allow a

foreigner to inherit land in Thailand. The last treaty was terminated in year 1970. Under present laws, any foreigner who acquires land by

inheritance must dispose of the land within a reasonable period (up to 1 year) to a Thai national. If the foreigner fails to dispose of the

land the Director-General of the Land Department is authorized to dispose of the land and retain a fee of 5% of the sale price before

any deductions or taxes. Proceeds from the sale of such land is then inherited by you as part of the will.

Exceptions can be made and the foreigner can be gifted with land ownership of up to 1 Rai, but in practice, we never see that happen as

it has to go through the Ministry of Interior and Land Office (the provincial branch and the head quarter).

The most possible and likely outcome would be for the foreign inheritance to sell the land.

But prior to that stage, an executor of the estate must be establish. If that executor is not the party who would be inheriting the land

(such as the relatives), then the executor can act on the foreign inheritance’s behalf in liquidating the land and pass on the funds to

the foreigner. (matter about trust and faith in the executor)

3. BOI – BOARD OF INVESTMENTS EXEMPTIONS

A Thai registered company (that qualifies for BOI certification) with majority foreign-owned shares may operate similarly as if a Thai Limited Company for as long as the promotion certificate has been issued. In order to receive the investment promotion certificate, the applicant must set up the company within six months of accepting the approval, and submit all of the following documents to the Office of the Board of Investments (OBOI):

– Application form for promotion certificate

– The memorandum of association

– The certificate of business registration

– A certificate stating the registered capital, a list of directors indicating those empowered to bind the company, and the address of the head office

– A list of the shareholders and their nationalities

– A document showing the transfer of funds from overseas, or a certificate of investment from overseas issued by the Bank of Thailand for foreign investors

– A joint venture contract, licensing agreement, technical assistance contract and/or technology transfer contract (if any)

– Form of utility and manpower requirements.

The BOI promotion certificate, once issued, entitles the BOI company with certain advantages and some exemptions. Exemptions vary per zone or area where the company was registered.

(example)

**Zone 1 : includes Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Nonhtaburi and Pathum Thani

(Bangkok and 5 provinces)

a) 50 per cent reduction of import duty on machinery that is subject to import duty of not less than 10 percent

B) Corporate income tax exemption for 3 years for projects located within industrial estates or promoted industrial zones, provided that such a project with capital investment of 10 million baht or more (excluding cost of land and workng capital) obtains ISO 9000 or similar international standard certification within 2 years from its start-up date, otherwise the corporate income tax exemption will be reduced by 1 year.

c) Exemption of import duty on raw or essential materials used in the manufacturing of export products for 1 year.

**excerpt from http://www.boi.go.th. For a complete list of zones and exemptions, please visit http://www.boi.go.th/english/about/boi_privileges_by_location.asp

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com