Australian By Decent Wanting To Study In Australia

My step son is 25 years old and has an Australian passport, he has never been to Australia.

He graduated from Bangkok University with GPA 3.34 second class honors, Hospitality and Tourism Management.

He would like to get a degree from a western university, and as he has a passport for Australia, would like to see it it would be possible to study there.

I have looked on line, by as a brit find the information hard to digest, so is there someone out there with some knowledge of the system in place in Australia, to enable my stepson to attend uni, there?

he'll be treated as an Australian student like everyone else - eligible for local fees (which are deferable as harry pointed out). Also eligible for the rest of it, Medicare, Student supplment payments etc, as is his right.

All he needs to do is ensure he's accepted into an Australian university!

Best to look at what course he wants to study, at which university, and then apply as an Australian student.

The determining factor for fees is citizenship, not country of residence...

Non-citizens with permanent residency in Australia still pay foreign fees, which are up to 3 times as expensive, sometimes more depending on the course.

Depending on whether he wishes to do undergraduate or post graduate study, the rules for the government 'loan' is different...

I understand that you can pay up-front fees at a discount over the 'loan' scheme. The loan becomes payable when his taxable income in Australia reaches a certain threshold... if he never earns money in Australia, the debt might never become payable (not sure on this one)...

You can not borrow (through the gov't scheme) the cost of accommodation, text books, admin fees, or student union fees etc...

Cheers,

Daewoo

The determining factor for fees is citizenship, not country of residence...

Non-citizens with permanent residency in Australia still pay foreign fees, which are up to 3 times as expensive, sometimes more depending on the course.

Depending on whether he wishes to do undergraduate or post graduate study, the rules for the government 'loan' is different...

I understand that you can pay up-front fees at a discount over the 'loan' scheme. The loan becomes payable when his taxable income in Australia reaches a certain threshold... if he never earns money in Australia, the debt might never become payable (not sure on this one)...

You can not borrow (through the gov't scheme) the cost of accommodation, text books, admin fees, or student union fees etc...

Cheers,

Daewoo

As he has an Australian passport,he is an Australian citizen. And is therefore entitled to any or all benefits. The only thing that needs checking is his passport still valid. If it is ,no problem. He simply needs to find out what and where he wants to study. He may have to sit an I.E.L.T.S test, to determine how appropriate his English language skills are.Does he have dual nationality?If he holds TWO passports, he leaves Thailand on his Thai passport and enters Aust. on his Aust. passport. My children are both currently attending school in Oz., This is how they enter and leave, both countries. If he only has ONE passport (Aust), he may need a visa to re-enter Thailand.Much simpler if he has TWO.

Don't know if it is all easy, he will probably have to join in with the rest of the Aust. students for selecton to university based on examination results, not sure how he will be treated with overseas schooling results. It might be worthwhile contacting the university of interest direct fo some advice.

(Edit)

Just noted that he is 25 yeas of age - it is posible that he can gain entry as a mature aged student

Edited by Artisi

Many thanks for all your replies, he does hold two passports Thai and Australian, he will be 26 next month, I think he is looking at a undergraduate course, something that would help him secure a better paid job than the thai degree.His english is quite good.

Would he have to register for tax etc. prior to going to Australia or would he have to sort that out there.?

I have family there, so was hoping to find some work through them, if not he will have to find some local work.

If he wants to work then he'll have to get a TFN.

I think he can get one online - not sure he has to be in the country though. He should also get a Medicare card as soon as he arrives as well - pretty easy to do if you show you are moving to OZ permanently.

One interesting quirk of Australian citizenship law.

As an Australian citizen be descent who never lived in Australia, your son would not have been able to pass on OZ citizenship to his kids if they too were to be born outside of OZ. Your grandkids from him would need to be born in OZ for them to become Australian citizens.

However, if your son spends a total of 2 years of his life in OZ, he will be able to pass citizenship on to his children if they were born outside of Australia.

Don't know if it is all easy, he will probably have to join in with the rest of the Aust. students for selecton to university based on examination results, not sure how he will be treated with overseas schooling results. It might be worthwhile contacting the university of interest direct fo some advice.

(Edit)

Just noted that he is 25 yeas of age - it is posible that he can gain entry as a mature aged student

I would suggest he spends his first year in Australia at an adult college doing year 12 again. He will then have no trouble as an adult student getting into most unis doing what he wants. At the moment he would almost certainly have a hard time at uni because of lack of full fluency in English and because of the diferent expectayions of the lecturers in expecting him to question and criticise.

Sydney Uni teaches Thai part time for novices. I would suggest that you/step-son look up the teacher and have your step-son send an email explaining what he wants to achieve. The teacher is Thai and has been in the education system for some time. Thier overview may be helpful if they are willing to reply. I know that at times I have used this approach with some great success.

I would also try the other Oz Uni's to see if they have Thai nationals on staff. If your step-son is successful he may also have cultivated a very good relationship in the process.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

(Edit)

I would suggest he spends his first year in Australia at an adult college doing year 12 again. He will then have no trouble as an adult student getting into most unis doing what he wants. At the moment he would almost certainly have a hard time at uni because of lack of full fluency in English and because of the diferent expectayions of the lecturers in expecting him to question and criticise.

Having completed my second post grad degree only 5 years ago, I can honestly say, if he has even reasonable English skills, he will be better than 90% of the Indians, and 100% of the Chinese students, who compbined make up about 95% of most classes, because they are full fee paying... The Universities use their money to run the courses for the Aussies, 'cause the Government won't give them proper funding...

The Universities are not supposed to evaluate your English skills, but your knowledge of the course content... Although, depending on the course, good writting skills do still help...

The Universities test foreign students to decide whether they are required to do an English bridging course, even if their English is almost non-existent, with a 6 month English course they can get into any course they can afford...

Cheers,

Daewoo