3G In Bangkok Aircard

KKvampire

I am thinking of getting a 3G Aircard USB modem device formobile notebook internet in Bangkok, I see there are many available, but I want to know is 3 G coverage all over Bangkok and if not what areas does it cover? I will be in Bangkapi and need to know whats best to have. Some poster stated that AIS dont have 3G in Bangkok but they are selling pacakes here at pantip? Hope someone has some experience and knowledge of 3G here and the best unlimited package. The best I seen was 650 bht for unlimited with AIS

Edited by KKvampire

ha ha ha

You will find 3g near "Major shopping malls" and at the airport but only through True. 3g doesn't technically exist here yet, and it suprises me how many aircards are sold. Just another Thai.."it's new...I'll get it" without knowing that coverage is borderline none

your best option is true wifi to be honest

ha ha ha

You will find 3g near "Major shopping malls" and at the airport but only through True. 3g doesn't technically exist here yet, and it suprises me how many aircards are sold. Just another Thai.."it's new...I'll get it" without knowing that coverage is borderline none

your best option is true wifi to be honest

But thats only if I can get a true signal

If you want 3G throughout Bangkok you need to get TOT3G. They have extensive 3G coverage everywhere in Bangkok, Samut Prakhan and Thonburi. Google for TOT3G for their website. You can also buy their service from I-Mobile 3GX, I-Kool and IEC 3G. AIS doesn't have 3G in Bangkok (only Chonburi and Chiang Mai). DTAC only has two cells with 3G near Chamchuri Square (DTAC HQ building). TrueMove has 3G but it is not as extensive as TOT3G. TOT and I-Mobile's rates are based on data volume. For example, I have TOT3G in a 3G WiFi modem at my work. I pay 200 baht a month for 1 gig of service. I never go over the 1 gig as I use it for web browsing, email, etc. but never download large files like music or movies. Check the TOT3G website for more info.

If you want 3G throughout Bangkok you need to get TOT3G. They have extensive 3G coverage everywhere in Bangkok, Samut Prakhan and Thonburi. Google for TOT3G for their website. You can also buy their service from I-Mobile 3GX, I-Kool and IEC 3G. AIS doesn't have 3G in Bangkok (only Chonburi and Chiang Mai). DTAC only has two cells with 3G near Chamchuri Square (DTAC HQ building). TrueMove has 3G but it is not as extensive as TOT3G. TOT and I-Mobile's rates are based on data volume. For example, I have TOT3G in a 3G WiFi modem at my work. I pay 200 baht a month for 1 gig of service. I never go over the 1 gig as I use it for web browsing, email, etc. but never download large files like music or movies. Check the TOT3G website for more info.

as usual the website is unreadable, it talks about phone internet sms etc 299bht a month, but cant see anything about using modem service

as usual the website is unreadable, it talks about phone internet sms etc 299bht a month, but cant see anything about using modem service

Modem is the same rates. You just put the sim in your modem.

So what's the point? If you cannot download large data without a hefty fee the above can be done with EDGE in most cases? Why no unlimited 3G plans I wonder like CAT CDMA offers upcountry?

So what's the point? If you cannot download large data without a hefty fee the above can be done with EDGE in most cases? Why no unlimited 3G plans I wonder like CAT CDMA offers upcountry?

The only 3G up country is AIS in Chiang Mai.

The only 3G up country is AIS in Chiang Mai.

Not true.

Only AIS offers 3G through the HSDPA system, but 3G is not tied into any system, it is rather a minimum standard mainly detailing minimum data transfer speeds to be attained, both stationary and when moving at speed.

CAT usng the EV-DO system almost all over Thailand (apart from the area assigned to Hutch) meets the 3G minimums, EV-DO theoretically can reach 3+ Mbps similar to the 3.6 Mbps HSDPA 3.6 can reach. Practically you should get anywhere between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps pretty much all the time.

Being a computer nerd, but totally clueless about mobile phones and 3G for computers, I got confused by the info and advice I read on some of these threads about 3G in Bangkok. Here's what I can tell you definitely works, as I bought it in Pantip in August (2010) and have used it in various places around the city (including at Suvarnabhumi airport) when I make day trips there:

I bought an el cheapo "Smart Bro" 3G USB modem for B1490. It is only 3.6Mbps, however. Similar generic 7.2Mbps modems started at about B1900, but I figured 3.6Mbps would be plenty fast for my needs.

The shop included a free starter "Blisstel" SIM (which normally cost B100) which was supposedly good for 15 days, with a data quota of 1GB. However, I've used it off and on for over two months and have been able to log on and use the service.

FWIW, the included software indicates AIS as the provider, although the sales fellow insists it's TOT service.

Not realizing that I'd still be able to use the Blisstel SIM after 15 days, on my next trip up to Bangkok, I bought a "Mojo" 3G SIM for B100 which is valid for 30 days, and (I think) for 1GB of data. I also bought a Mojo B100 top up card at the same time (which is also good for 30days/1GB, I think) since neither I nor the sales fellow knew where/how to top up a Blisstel account, and I didn't want the Mojo to be a hassle when top up time came. Then, I fired up my notebook with the old Blisstel SIM in the USB modem in the Pantip food court and realized it was still working, way beyond the stated 15-day period.

I bought the USB 3G modem and the SIMs and topup card from Neung at Avtar Computer in Pantip. However, I noticed that the 3G counter at the big store on the mezzanine level of Pantip had similar modems and SIMs for the same prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice now on TOT3G web site (but only in Thai - not English language ver) there are 2 new 3G unlimited packages. The word unlimited is rather flexible in that there is a 2mbps speed d/l limit, but the GB data is unlimited I think? Prices seem high at 790THB/15 days or 1490THB/30 days - but heck -it's a gov monopoly so where else are you going to go?