Visa Run Mae Sai........Overstay?

nattydread

i have a non immigrant 0 visa thats good for a year if i leave thailand every 90 days. i wanted to go to mae sai on my motorcycle on thursday or friday (last day for visa)and spend a few days riding in the area. the weather is so dismal at the moment that i would like to put it off for a few more days but am worried about what the implications are if i overstay in thailand a few days......so my options are.........

travel up by motorcycle on thursday or friday and brave the rain and possible flooding

wait until after the weekend and some better weather to ride up to the border and become an overstayer

book a bus ticket for friday

what would you do ?

As far as I know an overstay now is 500 baht per day with a 20,000 baht cap. It's not the expense as much as it is I am told its not good to have it in your passport so I would brave it and go but maybe by bus. Check the water situation forst as it might well be flooded there.

Edited by Sansai Sam

Get the bus on Friday and sort your visa out, back to Chiang Rai, stay overnight and rent a bike for however long you fancy touring. The road to Chiang Rai in the rain is not fun, seen many a bad accident.

Best not to have overstays in your passport, not to mention what might happen to you at an army checkpoint when on overstay.

Edited by naboo

Another option is to head down to immigration and purchase a 7 day extension for (I believe) 1900 baht.

Something to consider before overstaying.

For 1900 Baht you get a 30 day extension; I did it myself two years ago. Takes about an hour at immigration but well worth the time because you don't want that overstay black mark for the duration of your passport.

These days the VIP buses are quite often sold out two or three days before the journey. Book one week in advance to be sure of your seats Ladies& Gentlemen. No excuses for leaving it late when most of you are not doing a great deal of tiring work other than lifting a glass!