How Many Diffrent Sort Of Rice Thailand Have?

Sandman77

Hello!

can someone tell me,what kind of rice are avalible in thailand!

all during my jounrey,in the restaurant,the have only the normal white rice,here the dokotor told me,the brown one,is much lower calories and more healthy,but everywhere i ask in the restaunrants on pahngan and samui the never have brown rice!

on siam paragon in the supermarket,there are many a also see in the store the blue rice,maybe not from nature!

today a friend told me,in thailand there is also a rice avalible that have the same price then real gold!

more information,i dont have!

the rice here in europe,is diffrent taste then in thailand and not so big!

Not sure in Thailand, but well over 100 in the world. Probably many grown here. I asked the same question about bananas and was surprised to learn there are 200 different varieties. Kaemphang Phet has a research station in the middle of the town with many different rice varieties and many of the bananas, -not your immediate tourist destination, but fascinating place with beautiful gardens.

The difference between brown rice and white rice is the degree to which the rice is milled. Brown rice is milled to a lesser degree, leaving intact the rice bran coating of the white grain inside. You can find brown rice in any Tesco Lotus or Big C or health food store.

Not too sure how many varieties are produced in Thailand, but when at home in Rasi we eat, Hom mali - Jasmine, Khao neow - Sticky rice, Khao Dum - Black rice and Khao Daeng - Red rice. The standard jasmine and sticky are everywhere ( family farm ), but the others we get from local people who grow them for specific customers. They are a welcome break from the standard, white, white and more white on the table everyday.

Blue rice is made by dying white rice with the "butterfly pea" flower (Clitoria ternatea - "dok anchan" in Thai, "Bunga telang" in Malay). It's popular in the Malay dish "nasi kerabu".

You can also buy yellow rice (dyed with turmeric) and green rice (dyed with the pandan leaf ).

Not too sure how many varieties are produced in Thailand, but when at home in Rasi we eat, Hom mali - Jasmine, Khao neow - Sticky rice, Khao Dum - Black rice and Khao Daeng - Red rice. The standard jasmine and sticky are everywhere ( family farm ), but the others we get from local people who grow them for specific customers. They are a welcome break from the standard, white, white and more white on the table everyday.

We get green rice [ Kow maw ] in this part of Issan. It is sweet and expensive compared to ordinary rice. Jim

Oh come on guys! There are thousands of types of rice. Rice that doesnt germinate, rice that gets eaten by chickens, gets blown over, gets washed away and gets stolen. The most popular seems to be rice that is only worth half as much as it was last week. And that is only a start. The stuff i seem to grow is a variety of rice that isnt worth 5 eighths of the square root of bugger all. :whistling:

Oh come on guys! There are thousands of types of rice. Rice that doesnt germinate, rice that gets eaten by chickens, gets blown over, gets washed away and gets stolen. The most popular seems to be rice that is only worth half as much as it was last week. And that is only a start. The stuff i seem to grow is a variety of rice that isnt worth 5 eighths of the square root of bugger all. :whistling:

Nice one IA ! good to see Ozisms are alive and well in LOS.

Tim,

For this old dingo absolutely, for the non-Aussies, what I am implying is one crop of rain fed rice is hardly worth the effort considering the risk. Last year I made a profit of 54,000 baht off 13 Rai from one crop then the land was fallow. At 4,000 per rai per annum what a waste. I used to live in Central Thailand and they cropped 3 even 4 times a year, now there, you had a discussion point.

For Thai people here where I live 50% of them are content with a full rice bowl and what nature provides as a supplement. Obviously the White Death (Lao whiskey) being a natural product and a necessity. The other half have, or have access to "Land Up" (above normal flood) and are more industrious growing vegetables and a major here, chili. A friend netted 45,000 baht last year from a few (2-3) rai of chili. Outside the rainy season flood risk and the wind risks that flatten the rice in a day. My top grade Hom Mali 105 lodged last year and was effectively sold as broken rice with the result only being as good as it was with some sound advice on who to sell to.

What is it the Poms say? "There will always be an England". I suppose there will always be a rice bowl here too! But it erks me something fierce to see all that land just sitting here for half the year.

My God, we farmers are a pack of whingers (Strine enough?)

So to conclude, a puzzle or memory for rice growing Aussies and others who may know, what does the Oz term "Six axe handles across the acre" mean?

Isaan Aussie

Tim,

For this old dingo absolutely, for the non-Aussies, what I am implying is one crop of rain fed rice is hardly worth the effort considering the risk. Last year I made a profit of 54,000 baht off 13 Rai from one crop then the land was fallow. At 4,000 per rai per annum what a waste. I used to live in Central Thailand and they cropped 3 even 4 times a year, now there, you had a discussion point.

For Thai people here where I live 50% of them are content with a full rice bowl and what nature provides as a supplement. Obviously the White Death (Lao whiskey) being a natural product and a necessity. The other half have, or have access to "Land Up" (above normal flood) and are more industrious growing vegetables and a major here, chili. A friend netted 45,000 baht last year from a few (2-3) rai of chili. Outside the rainy season flood risk and the wind risks that flatten the rice in a day. My top grade Hom Mali 105 lodged last year and was effectively sold as broken rice with the result only being as good as it was with some sound advice on who to sell to.

What is it the Poms say? "There will always be an England". I suppose there will always be a rice bowl here too! But it erks me something fierce to see all that land just sitting here for half the year.

So to conclude, a puzzle or memory for rice growing Aussies and others who may know, what does the Oz term "Six axe handles across the acre" mean?

Isaan Aussie

IA Yes it would irk me too. But not only here. Its why I don't drive through central western NSW anymore. Once productive wheat farms are almost marginal now, and the bloody banks own them all. More whinge. to the question -

I reckon six axe handles laid end to end is about the same length as the distance between 2 stringy bark fence posts. Now if you and a mate take a right angle left turn at each fence post and walk 150 paces, then turn right again, and walk towards each other,the 'oblong' you've made is 1 acre ! Then of course you can stop for a cold one to celebrate this achievement.

A true farmer...too wet ....too dry....too hot....too cold....

Always happy as a pig in s...

Tim,

Isaan Aussie

IA Yes it would irk me too. But not only here. Its why I don't drive through central western NSW anymore. Once productive wheat farms are almost marginal now, and the bloody banks own them all. More whinge. to the question -

I reckon six axe handles laid end to end is about the same length as the distance between 2 stringy bark fence posts. Now if you and a mate take a right angle left turn at each fence post and walk 150 paces, then turn right again, and walk towards each other,the 'oblong' you've made is 1 acre ! Then of course you can stop for a cold one to celebrate this achievement.

Axe handles, what a convenient unit of measure for the Aussie bushman. In fact in the case I mentioned it was used to measure a womans posterior in order to suggest she was fat.

Speaking of cold ones, Crickey Moses it's real brass monkey weather here right now.

Tim,

Isaan Aussie

Axe handles, what a convenient unit of measure for the Aussie bushman. In fact in the case I mentioned it was used to measure a womans posterior in order to suggest she was fat.

Speaking of cold ones, Crickey Moses it's real brass monkey weather here right now.

Tim,

Isaan Aussie