Check Your Entry Validation Stamps

NanLaew

Just a wee reminder that people should check that the correct duration of stay has been stamped in their passport as soon as they get it back from the Immigration officer. I was going to bump an old thread on this but couldn't find it.

Three weeks ago I arrived at BKK and the Immigration chap was taking longer than usual to stamp me in (Non-B multi 1-year with 3 weeks remaining) but what he was doing was rectifying his mistake of only giving me 28-days instead of 90-days as he used the wrong stamp. He took pains to point out his mistake and the correction and apologised. Nice chap.

Last weekend I arrive at HKT and am last in line. I get back my passport and he has only stamped 28-days (same passport/visa as above). I asked him to correct it and seemed about to when he noticed that the visa was going to expire before the 28-days were up so he brusquely handed it back to me saying 'no need, visa finish already.' Incorrect but he didn't seem to want to hang about and correct his mistake and since I was leaving the following night, a sort of non-issue for me. However, if I was wishing to maximise my 1-year visa with an entry just before expiration, this chap would not have been to helpful in that regards. <deleted>.

This is the third time in 3 years that mistakes have been made by Immigration officers so recommend you take time to make sure you have been correctly 'clocked in' since I understand it can only be rectified at the port of entry making the error.

I just checked mine, my last 2 stamps (im on a NonB extension valid until 31/12/2011)

entry stamp = 22/08/2010

Admitted until = 31/12/2011

entry stamp = 18/10/2010

Admitted until = 31/12/2011

Should the "admitted until" be until my extension needs renewal ??

Indeed my permission to stay is to 17/01/2011 and I was stamped in until 01/01/2011 at my last entry late August.

I did check the stamp date but I was to leave late September anyway, thus it did not matter this time.

But yes, one should always check before leaving the immigration counters.

And yes, I am still in France enjoying the relative freedom of press (#44) as compared to Thailand (# 153) And the cold weather....

Apologies, im new to this site and im sure this question has been asked a thousand times but i must ask again for my own benefit, im on a multiple entry 1yr Non-Immigrant type O visa which is due to expire Nov 28th, i understand i can leave the country, return some days before expiry and get an extra 3months stamped in, so effectively its a 15 mth stay? Is it possible to use a land crossing, eg at Mai Sai for this purpose or must i exit/return through an airport? Thanks

Very good advice there NL.

Unless something has changed recently I believe you can go to any immigration office to get airport 'errors' fixed for free.

Apologies, im new to this site and im sure this question has been asked a thousand times but i must ask again for my own benefit, im on a multiple entry 1yr Non-Immigrant type O visa which is due to expire Nov 28th, i understand i can leave the country, return some days before expiry and get an extra 3months stamped in, so effectively its a 15 mth stay? Is it possible to use a land crossing, eg at Mai Sai for this purpose or must i exit/return through an airport? Thanks

You can exit at any border, it doesn't matter if it's a land crossing or airport. To be certain of getting the 90 days you should re-enter Thailand no later than November 27th.

Sophon

Thanks Sophon, is there a minimum time, hours, days i must stay outside Thailand, or can it be similar to the usual eg Mai Sai visa run? Appreciate the help

You can exit at any border, it doesn't matter if it's a land crossing or airport. To be certain of getting the 90 days you should re-enter Thailand no later than November 27th.

Sophon

Thanks Sophon, is there a minimum time, hours, days i must stay outside Thailand, or can it be similar to the usual eg Mai Sai visa run? Appreciate the help

Sophon

No minimum time limit. You can be out and back in 20 minutes.

Thanks, really appreciate your help

Sophon

No minimum time limit. You can be out and back in 20 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good advice there NL.

Unless something has changed recently I believe you can go to any immigration office to get airport 'errors' fixed for free.

Officially only the officer who made the mistake can rectify his mistake, not the immigration office. :realangry:

If you go to an immigration office they can send you back to the airport where the mistake is made.

For example Phuket immigration will NOT rectify any mistake made the border unless you buy the 7/30 day extension in which they will rectify the mistake.

This means that you will get the 7/30 extension plus the remaining days. ( this is on their discretion and not guaranteed :whistling: )

Errors are routinely corrected at Bangkok immigration for airport mistakes. Always have been.

As always the immigration offices can do what they want.

maybe Bangkok immigration is easier because most errors are from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport.

But the immigration office is not required to correct the mistake.