Food Poisoning, Again.

Richb2004v2

Just picked up on this topic. Got my mrs to throw away the wooden block chopping boards, and if we go out have a loooong pee before we go cos the WC's are a mine field of bacteria. It's been a hard struggle to teach my family about bugs that kill and cannot be seen, but l am getting there. :)

Yep watch those cutting boards, not just wood either, but really no need to throw them out, just bleach them once a week. Put a little bleach on them and spread it around with an old tooth brush, let it soak for a few minutes no need to brush at that point you'll just get bleach splatters all over the place anyway and might ruin good clothes. Rinse and then scrub off with a brush (preferably) or stainless scrubby and all is new..

And whenever I see my food being placed on one it must be very hot or I need to take it home and reheat it..

Not bad, you're getting there. In reality you need to repeat this every time you've used it, not just once a week (but hey, who's got time...)

Here's another tip for you:

Clean the cutting board before you use it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just removed some posts that were just a silly argument between two members, both of whom are a hair's breadth away from being given a time out from the forum. If you must partake in childish name calling do it somewhere else please.

I can't see how it possible for anyone to do even the most basic research on the subject of food borne illness and come to the conclusion that the majority of cases in Thailand are viral.

Why do people post on subjects they know nothing about implying they actually do? And when someone who actually knows what they are talking about they argue and make themselves look even worse?

The reputation system would be good if it were used properly. This thread is a good example people contributing negatively, and it would be nice to see something on the forum where people would think twice(or just google...:rolleyes:) before posting.

I mean if someone had posted that "I think maybe most times people get sick from food here are from viruses, but I'm not really sure". Someone like Forethat can just correct them and it wouldn't have to become an issue.

I don't post here, but I lurk a lot, and I had to just grit my teeth while I was reading the virus posts. I was hoping someone who knew what they were talking about would correct them. And seeing people react this way just made me want to post, it's absurd really. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posters are just trolling people here.

Someone like Forethat can just correct them and it wouldn't have to become an issue.

I did. And for that I have been called Silly, stupid, accused of being a drug dealer and otherwise criminal activities, and one poster finally urged others to kill me.

With this in mind I will think once or twice before correcting somone again. You're dead right, I should have kept my big mouth shut.

Not antibiotics right away, most food born illnesses are viruses and taking antibiotics could exacerbate your illness as it kills off all bacteria in your digestive system indiscriminately good or bad, some of which will be fighting off your virus infection

Pardon my french, but please walk up to any streetfood stall or why not any restaurant in Bangkok or any other large city in Thailand and make a short hygien inspection; if you still believe that bacterial infection isn't the most common form of foodborne illness in Thailand you probably haven't been here.

There's a reason the most common form of Antibiotics sold and prescribed in this country is Norfloxacin.

I agree with previous posters: as soon as you get the first symptoms of food poisoning, especially if they occur 4-6 after eating (most people have learned to identify this sooner than 4 hours) take an antobiotic, in most cases you are up and running again after 6 hours. I never eat charcoal.

I can't see how it possible for anyone to do even the most basic research on the subject of food borne illness and come to the conclusion that the majority of cases in Thailand are viral.

Why do people post on subjects they know nothing about implying they actually do? And when someone who actually knows what they are talking about they argue and make themselves look even worse?

The reputation system would be good if it were used properly. This thread is a good example people contributing negatively, and it would be nice to see something on the forum where people would think twice(or just google...:rolleyes:) before posting.

I mean if someone had posted that "I think maybe most times people get sick from food here are from viruses, but I'm not really sure". Someone like Forethat can just correct them and it wouldn't have to become an issue.

I don't post here, but I lurk a lot, and I had to just grit my teeth while I was reading the virus posts. I was hoping someone who knew what they were talking about would correct them. And seeing people react this way just made me want to post, it's absurd really. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posters are just trolling people here.

:ph34r::whistling::welcomeani: :jerk:

Most of the time when you sick like that the cause is are noroviruses that give you a gastroenteritis and it's cause by a virus not a bacteria so if you take antibiotic for that you are destroying the good bacteria that will help get you healthy again.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Bacteria is by far the most common cause of food borne illness in Thailand. Read my previous posts.

What IS true, is that Noroviruses are the most common cause of all confirmed cases of VIRAL gastroenteritis. However, studies shows that Noroviruses predominantly transmit from person to person, NOT FOOD.

If I provide the source will you stop making things up like the other two "donthaveafreakingclues"?

http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/StrategiesforNoroviuspreventioncontrol.pdf

If you're going to google, why cant you do it right? It cant be that hard, can it...?

In fact I Google it before writing and my source came from the CDC:

"How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways:

* by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

* by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and

* by having direct contact with another person who is infected (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill)."

Most of the time when you sick like that the cause is are noroviruses that give you a gastroenteritis and it's cause by a virus not a bacteria so if you take antibiotic for that you are destroying the good bacteria that will help get you healthy again.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Bacteria is by far the most common cause of food borne illness in Thailand. Read my previous posts.

What IS true, is that Noroviruses are the most common cause of all confirmed cases of VIRAL gastroenteritis. However, studies shows that Noroviruses predominantly transmit from person to person, NOT FOOD.

If I provide the source will you stop making things up like the other two "donthaveafreakingclues"?

http://www.chp.gov.h...tioncontrol.pdf

If you're going to google, why cant you do it right? It cant be that hard, can it...?

In fact I Google it before writing and my source came from the CDC:

"How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways:

* by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

* by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and

* by having direct contact with another person who is infected (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill)."

Oh dear....I give up.

Vomitting, sweathing, diarrhea are not the problem but the solution......

It is our body's normal reaction, our body is trying to get rid of the poison / bacteria / virusses or whatever.

In most cases that will solve the problem, give it a few hours or even 2 days.

Do not use medication, you would go in against your body's natural solution.

Compensate the loss of water of course, add sugar / salt to the water you drink.

But if it lasts longer then 2 days, or if there is blood, or if you have extreme cramps, or extreme headache, see a doctor.

Some things (f ex giardia) can not be flushed out.

And beware of antibiotics - use them sparingly - and important: use the full dose, do not stop using antibiotics when the symptoms stop!

PS. discussions about the differences between bacteria and virusses, etc, should be left to medical journals...... difficult enough subject for doctors, meaningless if you have the runners....

Thanks for all the advice and heated debate. One thing that still concerns me is how to actually get to a hospital when you are discharging from both ends every 30 minutes? My wife wanted me to go to hospital early on but I felt I couldn't make it. She even suggested putting one of the kids nappies on! The idea of even attempting the trip and then the walk to the hospital building and possibly having to wait around for some time doesn't bear thinking about :ermm:. No solution to that I guess.

Thanks for all the advice and heated debate. One thing that still concerns me is how to actually get to a hospital when you are discharging from both ends every 30 minutes? My wife wanted me to go to hospital early on but I felt I couldn't make it. She even suggested putting one of the kids nappies on! The idea of even attempting the trip and then the walk to the hospital building and possibly having to wait around for some time doesn't bear thinking about :ermm:. No solution to that I guess.

There is a funny book written by an Australian oil rig worker, "Don't tell Mum I work On an oil rig, she thinks a a piano player in a brothel", a piss funny read, one of the stories he relates is a group of workers coming down with food poisoning in Borneo I think and how there was no serious treatment options locally so they were taken to Singapore, catch is they did it on a commercial flight and he goes on to tell the story of the four or so guys making there way Siagapore, shitting and vomitting the whole way.

I am sure if you are that sick you will think of a way, maybe sitting on a bucket and holding one for the other end.

Incidently they found out the way they got sick was from drinking bottled water, the locals had taken empty bottles and filled them with local water then added a little super glue to the lid, so when you openend the bottle you still got the cracking noise of the plastic breaking, a nice little side earner for the locals.

Everyone should get the Hepatitis A vaccine.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hepatitis_A

Hepatitis A (formerly known as infectious hepatitis) is an acute infectious disease of the liver caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV),[1] which is transmitted person-to-person by ingestion of contaminated food or water or through direct contact with an infectious person.

Hep A vaccine comprises two shots six months to a year apart.

Thailand is among the countries with a high infection rate, i.e. > 8%.

Edited by CaptHaddock