Camera Repairs

DekDoi

I've mananged to break the display screen on my olympus digital camera.

I didn't buy it in Chiang Mai and the camera shops that I've visited don't want to know.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get a camera fixed in CM?

Edited by DekDoi

Olympus thai agent is Jebsen and jensen . my wife own the dealer ship .

but to be very frank . is cheaper to get a new one then fix it .

my younger brother once broke the LCD of his COolpix digital cam when he ride his vespa to one of those group trip had a minor accident and drop teh cam and broke then LCD .

any to make story short he did FIX the LCD and it cost him like 3500b i got the cam for him for 5200b .

you be the judge of it .

if you need any help - PM me .

Jebsen used to have a office in chiangmai near the japanse embassy but there had since close it . and only way is to send it to bangkok and it will take many days i assume .

good luck . Digital cam is cheap nowaday it would be better off buying a new one .

unless like my brother who really love the camera cos he said i got it for him :P

There's a camera repair shop called Denchai Camera on the north/east side, ouside the moat but like ta22 said it might be less expense to replace it. Maybe worth checking though.

post-114070-055230400 1287736948_thumb.j

Edited by ThaiWx

Unfortunately, what others have said is correct. Unless the camera is a top end SLR it is more expensive to fix than it is to replace. And, even then it's hit or miss. If the camera is much more than a year old, then the newer models are usually better for less cost. Cameras that I paid over $1000 for only 5 years ago have been replaced by cameras with higher resolution and more features that cost $500.

There is, or at least was, a camera repair shop along the main drag in Chiang Mai Land. I've forgotten the name. They repaired my cheap digital for a very low price. I don't know if that would be the same for your camera. I wish I could remember the name of the shop. Maybe this posting will jog somebody else's memory.

It's called the AV shop and by and large if they can't fix it you're flogging a dead horse. Here's the location.

Really though, if your camera is more than a couple of years old, go get a new one although Thailand is pretty expensive at the moments for hardware. If you know anyone currently in the US who is coming to CM then order online and have them bring one in to get a much better deal.

You can compare what's available by using the buying guide on DP Review.

• 2 months later...

I got a problem with a 6 months old Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ 10. Electronic going crazy. Problem camera was bought in Germany with European guarantee only. Take it to AV shop? I want a working camera even if I pay a reasonable amount.

That would be a start or ship it to Panasonic in Europe.

Friend suggested to reset the camera. It works, at least picture taking. What remains irritating is the the battery is drained over night although properly shut off including GPS which continues to work even in shut off.

Strange. Sending to Europe is out, too much potential hassle with 2x customs.

Will try AV shop now.