Ais 3G

ChiangMaiThai

Is anyone out there successfully using AIS 3G? If so, what are you paying? What kind of speeds do you get to international servers? Unlimited usage? And do you get coverage across all of chiang mai? Thinking of signing up and then using mifi to walk around with my own private wifi but don't want to waste my money if it's not reliable yet. Thanks for any info!

Wow that fast for mobile internet...

Be aware that distance from nearest mobile tower is a factor for speed also... so different areas different speeds. Yet great speed- not a bargain price but worth it for business users. You could almost forget about a landline connection at those speeds.

Otherwise go for AIS standard- unlimited download 650bt- speed approx 300Kb... or 200bt for 50hrs pm. So a bargain for a light mobile user.

:jap:

AIS 3G . 20 Kilometers from Chiang Mai. I'm in Doi Saket.

I'm on 30 GB per month at 1500 baht.

I don't think 30gb is an option for new customers. These are the current 3G packages.

Screenshot-4.jpg

1,500 baht doesn't seem to be an option any more either :whistling:

I don't think 30gb is an option for new customers. These are the current 3G packages.

Screenshot-4.jpg

You snooze you lose. AIS only had that offer for three months when they first started up their 3G. As long as I pay by 4PM on the 28th of the month they let me keep it. I top off on line and I just did yesterday.:D

Screenshot-4.jpg

You snooze you lose. AIS only had that offer for three months when they first started up their 3G. As long as I pay by 4PM on the 28th of the month they let me keep it. I top off on line and I just did yesterday.:D

My experience with a borrowed AIS stick has been similar to yours out of town in the Night Safari area. In town around Nimenhemin or CMU, the speeds are about one-tenth of that with frequent disconnects. (Yep, that bad.) I don't think the in-town infrastructure can handle the capacity yet, but it should improve with time I hope. Would be interested in other reports within the city to see if others have better results.

Aren't you lucky. Not of much use to the OP though.

Nong Hoi area.

1002186572.png

Thanks t_dog

I was hoping to get some helpful information here my mistake. I had talked to the people at AIS in the airport mall and they had two plans. Not being tech savvy I thought well they look good. After reading all these posts with the exception of yours I still am wondering.:(

I live in the night bazaar area and have had the AIS blue tooth Phone for a modem. In the last six months the service has had a tremendous improvement. I have not had to call Bangkok where the3 phone lines were so busy they couldn't take my call in three months. Before that it was a every other day experience. Was wondering if the new 3g is as good for service. Apparently you are the only poster with any experience.

Edited by jayjay0

Thanks t_dog

I was hoping to get some helpful information here my mistake. I had talked to the people at AIS in the airport mall and they had two plans. Not being tech savvy I thought well they look good. After reading all these posts with the exception of yours I still am wondering.:(

I live in the night bazaar area and have had the AIS blue tooth Phone for a modem. In the last six months the service has had a tremendous improvement. I have not had to call Bangkok where the3 phone lines were so busy they couldn't take my call in three months. Before that it was a every other day experience. Was wondering if the new 3g is as good for service. Apparently you are the only poster with any experience.

I recommend that you go to the AIS Office on Tha Phae Road this is their main office. I recommend never to deal with any satellite office of any company any where. I have nothing but trouble when I would deal withe another office but the main one. As for AIS help number yes they do speak and understand good English but that is where it ends they are useless on the phone. Yes I have the Air card (stick) if I'm in the rang of their 3G coverage no problem when out of rang it goes to edge and still no problem. I personally thank that they did over subscribe on their 3G at first but as of recently quite a few users have gone because I see a marked improvement.

Edited by gotlost

Thanks t_dog

I live in the night bazaar area and have had the AIS blue tooth Phone for a modem. In the last six months the service has had a tremendous improvement. I have not hd to call Bangkok where the3 phone lines were so busy they couldn't take my call in three months. Before that it was a every other day experience. Was wondering if the new 3g is as good for service. Apparently you are the only poster with any experience.

I recommend that you go to the AIS Office on Tha Phae Road this is their main office. I recommend never to deal with any satellite office of any company any where. I have nothing but trouble when I would deal withe another office but the main one. As for AIS help number yes they do speak and understand good English but that is where it ends they are useless on the phone. Yes I have the Air card (stick) if I'm in the rang of their 3G coverage no problem when out of rang it goes to edge and still no problem. I personally thank that they did over subscribe on their 3G at first but as of recently quite a few users have gone because I see a marked improvement.

Thanks. That supports what I was thinking. I go to the Tha Phae to pay my monthly fee it is a good exercise for me. But I have had not as much success talking to them as I get from the one's in the mall.

The ones in the mall are more interested in selling it to me threfore they can convey the message to me a little better. At the main office I have felt frustrated at times. One time I had a lot of hours left on my month but I would be gone for a week so I went in three days early and they gave me one month from that date rather than the one it was up on. Try to explain that to them.

My Thai is pitiful and at times useless. But I still try .

gotlost gave some good advice to only deal with the main office. I bought an unlimited 3G stick on Wednesday from a sales booth and as of today, Friday it still is not working. 5 calls to the help desk and finally I have a manager calling me back. Turns out the sales booths either sell un-registered SIM cards with the sticks or do not know how to get them registered. The Help Desk manager is quite empathetic and understanding but still no resolution. Arghhhh Seems AIS has some some serious growing pains and processes to get working. Take the time to go to the main office and if you can, bring your laptop to ensure it will work. The sales booth salesman has been totally unresponsive.

well Im on the second year now with my Router Package 3G and 3o Gb download for 799 bath + wat

I went the other day to get me a new mobile on 3 G and got a promotion on that one for 500 Mb download a month and this for 12 month , so if you go to the AIS in Town its reasonable to get a god deal. :rolleyes:

1001207054.png

GotLost, are you using the Super 3G wireless modem/router thingie, or an airstick? I am in San Pu Loei, which is only 12 km from town and I bought the 3G airstick because everyone around me has access to 3G. Oddly enough, my village seems to be in a little 3G-deprived bubble :( I am wondering if the wireless modem/router will work better. Thanks.

1001207054.png

GotLost, are you using the Super 3G wireless modem/router thingie, or an airstick? I am in San Pu Loei, which is only 12 km from town and I bought the 3G airstick because everyone around me has access to 3G. Oddly enough, my village seems to be in a little 3G-deprived bubble :( I am wondering if the wireless modem/router will work better. Thanks.

I have the aircard. Did you check with THE MAIN OFFICE and their map for you location. If so and your still in a pocket the router may work as you can do an antenna with it.

1001207054.png

I have the aircard. Did you check with THE MAIN OFFICE and their map for you location. If so and your still in a pocket the router may work as you can do an antenna with it.

There is a conector on the Router to put an outdor antenna I use that my self to get a god stabil signal I live just on the outscirt of maejoo and its just outside the reach on the AIS map.

and it works flawles.

Hello SM7WGP.

Would you mind telling me where you got the antennae and the description? You can post it here or PM me.

Thanks,

MSPain

1001207054.png

There is a conector on the Router to put an outdor antenna I use that my self to get a god stabil signal I live just on the outscirt of maejoo and its just outside the reach on the AIS map.

and it works flawles.

well Im on the second year now with my Router Package 3G and 3o Gb download for 799 bath + wat

I went the other day to get me a new mobile on 3 G and got a promotion on that one for 500 Mb download a month and this for 12 month , so if you go to the AIS in Town its reasonable to get a god deal. :rolleyes:

Sorry I am Tech challenged. Would 500 MB be good for only a short time.

Sorry I am Tech challenged. Would 500 MB be good for only a short time.

well It depend on what you will do, but for send some emails and download some mp3s or for navigate around town it ok, and also using skype on mobile where and read news.

The rest I do in my home on the 3 G router

Edited by SM7WGP

1. = 2.46down, and .124 up at time noted:

Test against: Bangkok server Singapore server Last Result:

Download Speed: 1973 kbps (246.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 99 kbps (12.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 770 ms

Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:22:29 PM

Service has been pretty good for Chiang Mai for me, south of Maejo 3-4kms. Sometimes off, sometimes quirky, mostly OK.

This is with a WiFi router. That only has the 3.6 mbps packages available.

MSPain

They are also selling 7.2 mbps air cards now. I believe that takes as much as 2 3.6 mpbs customers for their equipment to handle it.

MSPain

post-402-0-25975800-1289053311_thumb.jpg