Ais 3G

ChiangMaiThai

Near CMU, 11 AM.... Looks like it pays to live outside the city!

http://www.speedtest.../1020290962.png

And I thought my set up stunk.:lol:

Yeah, it's pretty stinky all right! It started up at 3 megabits/sec at 6 AM and went downhill pretty fast. Out of 8 days here, two have been this lousy. Usually it is "okay" as one poster put it.

On good days I can get 2.8 but can run as low as 1.1 but never what you are getting. I still put this down to over sell. I get better results on their edge than what you are getting at the moment.

T Dog,

A silly question yet I have to ask....... do you have your settings to receive 3G signal only?

When I was using my aircard I had problems until I changed those settings.

MSPain

Hmmm, if my software is the same as yours, that is under Network Settings. Band choices (900 and 2100 Mhz) are all 3G, no other choices available. If I select GPRS/EDGE only my speed is about half of that selecting UMTS only. What selections did you change?

T Dog,

You must have a new card. When I bought my card the 2100 range was not available. This probably means the program settings are different as you indicated.

In that case, sorry I can't be of help.

When I did need help, stopping by at the AIS office on Thapae Road had all my questions anwered. I also got answers by contacting AIS online with the 1175 web site. However, online takes a lot longer getting an answer than sitting right in front of them.

There is also a web page that had the settings and setup procedures. That page was in Thai language only. That web page is at http://www.mfa.ais.co.th/Home

Good Luck,

MSPain

T Dog,

A silly question yet I have to ask....... do you have your settings to receive 3G signal only?

When I was using my aircard I had problems until I changed those settings.

MSPain

Hmmm, if my software is the same as yours, that is under Network Settings. Band choices (900 and 2100 Mhz) are all 3G, no other choices available. If I select GPRS/EDGE only my speed is about half of that selecting UMTS only. What selections did you change?

1020647511.png

I live near CMU as well, and to be honest these results are nothing special.

It is probably due to the fact that this is a high usage area. Same as ADSL users on copper wire.

Guess the solution is to move out to the boonies, but within the service radius....:rolleyes:

mcgriff.... I would be happy to be getting speeds like yours. The last four days it has been like this for us:

My link

The first week of service was quite good with 2.6 megabit per second speeds. Then it just died. The help line has not been able to give us any answers as to why it went from "pretty good" to "unusable" for us. We'll be calling the help line people again today. Arrgghhhh

I'm relocating to CM soon. Can anyone advise whether I can subscribe to the 3G Plan with the air stick, without a permanent address? It'll probably take me a while for my house hunting, and I like to have mobile internet access soon after my arrival in CM.

I'm relocating to CM soon. Can anyone advise whether I can subscribe to the 3G Plan with the air stick, without a permanent address? It'll probably take me a while for my house hunting, and I like to have mobile internet access soon after my arrival in CM.

Main office of AIS, Tha Pae Road and Soi 2. No address required.

Main office of AIS, Tha Pae Road and Soi 2. No address required.

Thanks!:jap:

After my earlier posts, topping up my aircard SIM and verifying good results, then giving my aircard with SIM to my friend (who is getting fantastic speeds in town, according to him), my WiFi router connection went to 0.24 Mbps and has been that way for 3 days now. Unbelievable!

MPSpain

Anybody on Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd. using AIS Super 3G having problems lately?

MSPain

We are still stuck at .19 megabits per second here near the zoo. AIS just called to ask us if we are still slow. Hopefully they are working on it. What's your speed running at?

Anybody on Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd. using AIS Super 3G having problems lately?

MSPain

We are still stuck at .19 megabits per second here near the zoo. AIS just called to ask us if we are still slow. Hopefully they are working on it. What's your speed running at?

As I posted before, my speeds were very good to Bangkok between 2 an 2.9 Mbps pretty much all of the time. The evening after I made that post my speeds went to 0.24 and have been exactly that for 4 days now. No variance.

Incidentally, when I made the earlier posts, I also topped up my aircard and tested it. The speeds were more than 2 Mbps. I don't remember the exact numbers. Then I gave the aircard to my friend inside Chiang Mai and he was and is getting 2.9 Mbps and better. I am still at 0.24 with my WiFi router.

Very conincidental it seems to me. I am going to the AIS office today.

MSPain

AIS just called us to try to debug the situation, and we are getting a story that the "Unlimited" 3G Stick (2700 baht purchase and 499 a month) gives you an initial 4 Gigs of download and then you are throttled. That is why we are at the consistent speed of .19 megabit per second. To add to the confusion, we had not yet reached our limit before the throttling.

TDog.

Thanks for that information. The AIS tech is at my house right now. I will pass that by him. It sounds exactly like what is happening to me because the slow speed is a consistent 0.24 Mbps. I have 30 GB per month plan. (I am posting this with my CAT stick)

MSPain

The AIS technician came to our place today for 90 minutes and verified that the "Unlimited" 2700 baht air stick is LIMITED in high speed up to 4 gigs of download. Once past that each month, you are throttled. We are stuck at .19 megabits per second until the next month.

So.... BUYER BEWARE! We used up our 4 gigs in about a week with YouTube, games, SKYPE, and online music. Hardly an unlimited package.

Ah, T-Dog...for a full throttle guy like you....you've been throttled.

Bloody hel_l!

Yeah, I remember reading an earlier post by a member who mentioned the "unlimited" package is not really unlimited from AIS.

Well that explains it, and here is my current speed from near CMU/Zoo area:

1027672557.png

Ah, T-Dog...for a full throttle guy like you....you've been throttled.

Bloody hel_l!

Yeah, I remember reading an earlier post by a member who mentioned the "unlimited" package is not really unlimited from AIS.

Well that explains it, and here is my current speed from near CMU/Zoo area:

1027672557.png

Griff... You keep rubbing it in! And... You obviously don't download enough! :o

I'm on the AIS 3GSM Cheap Charlie plan- 1.5 GB 300 B.

But I do also have a DTAC Edge mobile connect, and an apt bldg LAN (Maxnet ADSL) which is free.

Living in Thailand, I find that having a veritable Swiss Army Knife of access points is the way to go....:lol:

I'm on the AIS 3GSM Cheap Charlie plan- 1.5 GB 300 B.

But I do also have a DTAC Edge mobile connect, and an apt bldg LAN (Maxnet ADSL) which is free.

Living in Thailand, I find that having a veritable Swiss Army Knife of access points is the way to go....:lol:

Yep! Always good to have to have an option! I forgot to mention that the throttling on the UNLIMITED BUT STILL LIMITED Plan occurs only between 7 AM and midnight. Right now (after midnight) I have ripping 3 megabit per second speeds. Guess I can download a goodnight lullaby!