Countries Where You Can Live On Less Than $ 500 Per Month

george

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could of course list the ways a poor farang is a burden.

But it's probably beyond you. :)

· No medical cover

· Uses subsidised transport

· Uses subsidised electricity

· Uses subsidised water

· Pays no or very little sales tax

· Visa obtain under false pretences

Farang jOn :rolleyes:

You could of course list the ways a poor farang is a burden.

But it's probably beyond you. :)

· No medical cover

· Uses subsidised transport

· Uses subsidised electricity

· Uses subsidised water

· Pays no or very little sales tax

· Visa obtain under false pretences

Farang jOn :rolleyes:

You are right that poor people are a burden to some extent everywhere. be it were ever they live. I think the intent of the post was to show the ability to live with some dignity on $500 a month not that foreigners do it. If anyone was to live on that amount it would surely be in an area where money was needed (any amount) and I am sure many a local small business he purchased from would be happy he patrionised their shop.

Also if the rest of the world looked at things through your eyes immigration in most countries would come to a stand still. People would be unable to immigrate to other countries. Education for Thais overseas would come to and end etc.

Also I would like to mention I feel people arenot poor by choice so have compassion for those less fortunate. As the saying goes( There but for the grace of God go I)

Edited by lovelomsak

The OP was about countries where you can live on less than $500 per month. Not about the morality or ethics of doing so.

It is a good topic. I would think if people want to discuss the morals or respectability of poor people they would start their own thread. Like, “poor people suck” or something like that.

Why don't all you rich guys give the OP a break and stay on topic. It is a good topic. Also happens to be one I am writing about in a retirement publication and I am very interested in any information from people who actually do it.

I can find lots of people living on ex pat salaries but few who are doing OK with limited means.

So, I for one am enjoying reading about living in Thailand on $500 per month.

I know about living on more and I am not interested. I am interested in the topic of the thread. Living on $500 per month.

Anyone living on 15k a month, contributes absolutely nothing and really should leave.

Complete nonsense.

They may well teach the little ones around the village English FoC.

If the surrounding locals are poor having a Westerner living there may well result in a number of fluent English speakers in the future, thus providing much more opportunity for them when it is time for them to leave their village and support their family.

A Westerner without a lot of money probably helps support a lot of noodle shops and such.

I don't agree a poor farang contributes very little to the economy, if anything he is a burden.

So are you saying that the only way someone can contribute to society is financially then ?

It depends on your wants and needs.

Forest_cottage.sized.jpg

You jest your just visiting a relative. :rolleyes:

There is no pleasing a woman. I got her this nice place with a view over looking the river and she wasn't satisfied...

Boon_in_cement_house.jpg

She said she wanted something more like my summer cottage...

View_Tally_Villas_Em.jpg

i read these topics how much u need to live on out here blah blah blah... what's required to live well as working class in the uk is sufficient to live well in thai... end of

Can the working class in the UK live on 322 GBP per month?

I put this to the test earlier this year. I managed

To spend approx 18,000 bht in one month.

That was a struggle. Food for the wife and I and our 2 dogs, gas for the car (4000bht), one visa trip to Savanahket.

25,000 per month would be about right.

It's entirely possible in Chiang Mai. I've met a few that live on 15,000 THB. I could do it if I had to. Perhaps in Cha Am as well... I don't see how it could be done in Bangkok or Phuket or anywhere else though.

Well I've done it on 10k in Sathorn - downtown Bankok. AND been able to treat myself to the occasional Italian/Indian restuarant with a beer, carraf. But I drink little and am, of course, not a monger/shopaholic. Same on Phuket, but I own my own house there, ipso facto, no rent.

I have come across a lot of farang idiots who think nothing of splurging on the same food (farang oriented restaurant), as is available in a Thai geared restaurant, and ridiculous prices forked out on 'health care'. 50k for the removal of one tooth?! For instance.:blink:

Edited by inmysights

I emailed few of my Thai colleagues yesterday and asked them to give me their opinion on what is the minimum monthly income for a non-working Farang .

So far 45K is the lowest and 75K the highest, the average is 51.4K.

When I told them that there are Farang here who survive on 15k, 20k, 25k, they think I am joking and don’t believe me, so I have send them the link to this post.

I emailed few of my Thai colleagues yesterday and asked them to give me their opinion on what is the minimum monthly income for a non-working Farang .

When I told them that there are Farang here who survive on 15k, 20k, 25k, they think I am joking and don’t believe me, so I have send them the link to this post.

Some comments. It does make a big difference where you live in Thailand and whether you own your housing, so no rent. So unless you broke that down somewhat on that basis, their responses are not very meaningful. For example, in my personal case, it would cost me 25K baht per month to rent the place I live in and own, so pay no rent, so your friends may be shocked at my actual monthly outflows but wouldn't be so shocked if I added 25K to it. It also shows evidence of typical false stereotypes among Thais (that shouldn't surprise any of us) about the wealth levels of foreigners here.

Edited by Jingthing

i read these topics how much u need to live on out here blah blah blah... what's required to live well as working class in the uk is sufficient to live well in thai... end of

what worker in UK earns that in a month? there's a minimum wage you know...

The topic was can you live on $500 or less. Yes you can in Thailand. No you can't in UK. Correct?

The topic was can you live on $500 or less. Yes you can in Thailand. No you can't in UK. Correct?

yes but some have gone off topic and posting what amounts of money they require to live out here in thai... to answer your question no you can't live on 322GBP here or there.. what i was initially intending in my first post was there's no difference between the two countries... i don't find it any cheaper here in pattaya to live than the uk... if being truthful my money went further in the uk... apologies for the cross wires...

When I told them that there are Farang here who survive on 15k, 20k, 25k, they think I am joking and don't believe me, so I have send them the link to this post.

Some comments. It does make a big difference where you live in Thailand and whether you own your housing, so no rent. So unless you broke that down somewhat on that basis, their responses are not very meaningful. For example, in my personal case, it would cost me 25K baht per month to rent the place I live in and own, so pay no rent, so your friends may be shocked at my actual monthly outflows but wouldn't be so shocked if I added 25K to it. It also shows evidence of typical false stereotypes among Thais (that shouldn't surprise any of us) about the wealth levels of foreigners here.

I have not met a Thai yet who does not believe l am ' not ' a millionaire, so what a Thai thinks is totally immaterial and they don't want to believe l'm not. .

Me and the mrs went to the UK for hols, got her sister to look after the house for two weeks.. She told everyone l gave her 100,000bht for looking after the place, UUUUH, why, all about talk show that her brother in law was a farang millionaire. :rolleyes:

I think amongst the poor the myth that all Farang are wealthy is some what weaker than before and the working class and middle class stopped believing a long time ago.

I think amongst the poor the myth that all Farang are wealthy is some what weaker than before and the working class and middle class stopped believing a long time ago. [/size]

This came hand in hand with the increasing decrease meaning of the expression "Farnang" for some.

There was an article in the local rag yesterday that quoted streetwalkers in Bangkok saying that they avoid going with farang because they are cheaper than middle class Thai men and make too many demands. :o

that's right. It's just another step towards the negotiations

:lol:

Birdman:

Yes, I know what the thread was about. I agree $500 per month is too low, not on 28.8 Baht to a dollar. (My pension is paid in U.S. dollars).

I only meant to say that I support 5 Thais and myself (4 Thai adults and 1 Thai child) on less than $1500 a month. $1500 a month devided by 6 people comes out to $250 per person. None of the 3 adult Thais that do work earn more than 10,000 Baht even in their best month...7000 to 8000 Baht is more typical for a month, maybe just 5000 Baht on a slow month.

I just wanted to make the point that it might be possible for a farang to live reasonably comfortably in Bangkok if:

1) he/she didn't have to pay rent monthly

2) his/her standards weren't too expensive (Most of my meals outside the family house are at Thai places with Thai/Chinese food...and with my family).

3) he/she is willing to eat a lot of Thai food.

4) entertainment is chatting on the internet, watching the Animal Channel and the Discovery Channel...with an occasional movie and shopping for a splurge.

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

found this on another forum i read , i thought it was intresting

"I live in Chachapoyas, the regional capital of Amazonas, in the northern sierra of Perú. Life's pretty cheap here, especially compared to the 'low' prices of Lima.

> accommodation prices

Our staff (I run a language school) rent rooms locally for $20 a month. They're pretty basic.

If you want a luxury furnished apartment, you'd be paying $60 a month. But the concept of 'luxury' is somewhat different than back home. For instance, pretty much nobody in the city has an apartment with a kitchen, so eating out is the norm, and therefore cheapisimo.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

Well, we're remote. It's 12 hours bus to the nearest city with bookshops supermarkets or cinemas. That would cost you around $12.

Anywhere within the city costs you $0.80c in a taxi. But as only six roads are paved, it's actually more comfortable to forget the hurry and just walk.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

If you eat in a restaurant daily, a two course lunch and refreshment would cost you $1 on average. I'm a rare creature with a kitchen, so it's a little less. I share the cost of cooking with my staff, and we all dig in. It costs us around $28 a month.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

I have medical insurance, but as it only covers doctors who practise in the cities on the coast, around 200 miles from here, I've never used it. The public hospital charges $1.10 per consultation, and a private hospital charges around $11 for a consultation. That could rise as far as $13 if you get any work done.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

Most people don't need to pay, and can attend state schools, but private education is expensive, and largely religious. As many kids study in cities far from their families, offsetting the guilt by slamming them in a religious school is popular (so that families don't need to worry so much about what discos the teens are working in over the weekends, it seems. Average age of bar staff seems to be 15).

You can study for 90 minutes a day at the school I run for around $32 per month.

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

Water is around $8 per month for a household of four, and electricity a little over that. Gasoline I don't know about, because nobody in their right mind would run a car on unsealed Andean roads. You need an experienced driver to escape the potholes, flash floods, avalanches, and the 12 hour dark stretches of road, so you would be suicidal not to employ a taxi or passenger bus for that purpose.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Nobody uses personal internet, because there's quite enough web cafes dotted around the city, who all charge $0.30 per hour.

TV costs nothing, if you like 3 blurry channels - or if you want cable, you can pay $35 a month, or do what most people do - go to a polleróa with cable and spend the duration of the movie you want to see gently nursing a cup of tea - $0.20 for as long as you can stretch it.

Pay as you go, or prepaid mobiles are the rage here. In a room full of 60 people, generally nobody will have credit. The cheapest PAYG phone costs about $10 from Claro.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

A trad local restaurant will offer the 'menu' or almuerzo (2 course lunch) for $1. You can go rizty, though, and pay $1.50 if you want silverware and a tablecloth, though.

Typical regional food is pricier - a plate of cecina will cost you anything from $1.80 to $3.

The most expensive dish you could order is $12 - a whole roast cuy, or guinea pig.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub

A beer is $1.20 for a big stein of Pilsen. The local custom of 'one beer' is that you share one bottle, and one glass, between all of your party.

A Pisco Sour would come in at $2 and is for impressing girls. A coffee is $0.30 for a good one, a cafe pasado. But you could pay less if you prefer instant.

The favourite weekend brain maasher is to round off a night of beer drinking, with a jug of coffee with six piscos in it. But that's for the government workers, not the ordinary guy "

Thinking about money everyday, and what you can and cannot afford to keep your budget inline isn't fun.

Especially in Thailand.

It is if you were an accountant by training (and have considerably more than $500 a month as a budget). Believe me!