Slingbox

Taro

Ok, so I've been trying to figure out the best way to watch US TV in my computer. I refuse to pay 2500 baht/month for cable, so that's out. I can find a way to watch movies/shows, but I'd prefer to connect to TV channels, rather than just access single shows. So I started reading about the Slingbox, but I really don't get it. Let's say I buy the box in Amazon and have it shipped here (I'm assuming that's possible). Then I plug it into my laptop and then... what? Do I need a TV to make this work or is a laptop enough? Do I need cable connection or is it all done over the Internet?

I'm guessing I have to sign up through a website or something like that. Does this give me access to a channel 24/7? Any channel or is there a list? How well does it work? Sorry for the many questions. Seems like a good option, but I want to make sure I understand what I'm really getting before I make a decision to buy it.

Edited by Taro

From my understanding you will need 2 slingboxes, one for here and one for your homecountry.

The one in your homecountry uploads via the internet and the one here downloads (streams) allowing you to watch your US tv shows.

You will also need a decent internet connection at both ends.

From my understanding you will need 2 slingboxes, one for here and one for your homecountry.

The one in your homecountry uploads via the internet and the one here downloads (streams) allowing you to watch your US tv shows.

You will also need a decent internet connection at both ends.

Ah, ok. That's not an option then. Don't have a "home" in home country where I can connect this. Back to researching options. Thanks for the info.

The Slingbox would stay in the USA.

needs to be connected to the satellite or cable services you want to receive.

You will need to pay you're subscription for this as normal.

Basically you need someone in the US to host this for you (friends/family).

Then you need to consider the Internet connection required in the US you will need a good upload speed, this was my downfall in the UK when I tried to set this up at a friends address, could not get an Internet provider with enough upload speed.

Lastly in Thailand to watch on your PC/Laptop all you will need is to load the software available to download from their website and a decent Internet connection.

If you want to receive direct to your TV then you will need another piece of hardware a Slingcatcher.

In my experience it is allot of hassle and expensive to set up and requires a very helpful host in your home country, but as long as you have s good enough Internet conection at both ends it works good.

For me it just didn't work out and in the end I have found subscribing to a proxy server to be far cheaper and easier, gives me access to all UK Internet TV.

more info here. http://www.slingmedia.com/

Good Luck

Edited by kevkev1888

I imagine that it works by connecting to your existing TV receiver and computer setup at home in the USA. It then allows you to control and view the content remotely. If you don't have the aforementioned, then forget about that as a solution.

Some use Virtual Private Networks to access their private data in their country.

I imagine that it works by connecting to your existing TV receiver and computer setup at home in the USA. It then allows you to control and view the content remotely. If you don't have the aforementioned, then forget about that as a solution.

Some use Virtual Private Networks to access their private data in their country.

Yeah, I don't have anybody back home that could do this for me. No family, closest friends don't have the cable channels I would like to watch. If I have to pay to upgrade their cable back home, then it's not a cheap option anymore.

Won't VPNs just give me access to things like Hulu? They won't actually allow me to watch TV, just single episodes/shows, right?

Yeah, I don't have anybody back home that could do this for me. No family, closest friends don't have the cable channels I would like to watch. If I have to pay to upgrade their cable back home, then it's not a cheap option anymore.

Won't VPNs just give me access to things like Hulu? They won't actually allow me to watch TV, just single episodes/shows, right?

Yes and whatever on live streaming channels which may be open to you. I don't know much about the US market as I'm from the UK.

there are companies which actually host the slingbox and the internet link for you, you just have to have the internet connection here, and the relevant software. Google Slingbox and you will get the information about who hosts in the UK or the US. Just make sure you pay your monthly fee and no problems. I know the one in England is near Reading.

try www.slingbox.com

I have a sling box setup at my moms house in the USA. It's an older one i think I bought this about 4-5 years ago. My is analog so I can only get channels from 1-99, but the new ones are digital and can get all channels. I have no complaints. Im planning when I go back this year to get a new box so i can get more channels.

So how it works is it need to be connected to the Cable or satellite at someone's house in the USA and then also connected to the internet. Here you can access using the software program which will open a player or you can go to slingbox website login and access your box using internet explorer.

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...