Hi-Fi Show

CarlBkk

• 3 weeks later...

post-19469-0-26558900-1289753721_thumb.jpost-19469-0-23315100-1289753356_thumb.jpost-19469-0-30413100-1289753092_thumb.jAnyone visit the hi-fi show this year? It consisted of 2 floors of the Windsor Suites plus 5 or 6 larger demo rooms on the ground floor (KS Sons, Audio Excellence etc.).

A few interesting things for me and some good % discounts and show offers. Not a whole lot though. Hi-Fi Centre is nearly empty now with dealers looking for new places to rent. Deco 2000 have closed down their shop at Amarin....and not sure where they're going. It seems like despite the rich plainly getting richer in Thailand, the hi-fi market is diminishing. That said, KS Sons seem to be holding strong. McIntosh is very popular with the rich (aided by strong American marketing) and their new Kharma speakers have been selling well at over 300,000 baht per pair. Their beige demo models at the show were their last pair.

First pic is of Antique Sound Lab valve amps driving the sloping red speakers (A8 I think the brand was). Playing a demo CD I found the sound to lack realism in voice and to be quite 1 dimensional. For money involved I'd expect more. The room was a good size too.

Second system was Emm Labs CD player through the lovely Pass Labs monoblocks with Kharma (Dutch) loudspeakers. Sounded good, but again as with shows..unless they play a type of music you actually like and can appreciate at a volume you'd normally put it at, it's hard to really assess it. Even better, some tracks that you know pretty well in your own system.

A McIntosh all-in-one mini system! How cool. Speakers were small but weighed a tonne.

The Aura Premier all-in-one system that I've seen in the press but never in the shiny metal. It looks basic but has FM radio, MP3, USB, amp, CD. Got the award for the best mini in various press and sells in Thailand for 78,000 baht.

Also good to see the higher end Focal speakers there, especially the stunning Electra 1008 Be at a discounted 200,000 baht. From a dealer in Hi-Fi Centre (Piyanas do the lower end models). Unfortunately these weren't on proper demo so I couldn't hear what they could do. Usher were there also, again, not with the 718 Be that I wanted to hear (78,000 baht).

All in all, fine for a local free show. A lack of pretties though it must be said :-)post-19469-0-99961400-1289752995_thumb.j

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I wanted to go up from Hua Hin but the show collided in time with the final testings and inspections of our new villa.

With regards to Deco 2000 I saw last time when in Bangkok that they were prepared to leave Amarin. Image is still there though and selling Audio Excellence's stuff such as Martin Logan, Magneplanar and Krell.

Hi Carl,

Did they have any of the larger floorstanding Usher loudspeakers on demo?

Unfortunately I couldn't make it as I was working.

They did have2 pairs of Usher on demo. One was a floorstander (which wasn't being used while i was in the room) and the other a standmount with highly visible vertical grills running down the speaker and the stand. Looked interesting, but I had no time to hang around while they were playing softly softly music, so couldn't form an opinion.

That's a lovely looking speaker. Don't rely too heavily on getting email replies from businesses here in Thailand - there have been too many times when I've wanted to do business and I had no reply...only to find that there email address is on the card only to "look good" and they don't consider email important. I'd call if I were you.

I've compared Usher prices in Taiwan, HK and Thailand and really buying from Thailand is worth it. The freight and tax on import makes that quite clear. The Chinese owner at Audio Com is also very negotiable on price ;-)

That's a lovely looking speaker. Don't rely too heavily on getting email replies from businesses here in Thailand - there have been too many times when I've wanted to do business and I had no reply...only to find that there email address is on the card only to "look good" and they don't consider email important. I'd call if I were you.

I've compared Usher prices in Taiwan, HK and Thailand and really buying from Thailand is worth it. The freight and tax on import makes that quite clear. The Chinese owner at Audio Com is also very negotiable on price ;-)

Hi Carl, yes, still haven't received a reply and it's now a week ago, will call but my Thai isn't very good.

All I can say is 'wanee pom yak fang blah blah blah'...

Also, went back to paradise park yesterday and auditioned Cambridge Audio 840W with ProAc D18, best demo I've heard yet, that combination approaches the sound I'm looking for but 200,000 baht is a hel_l of a lot of money, and I'm still not convinced (although they're very nice) that ProAc are the right choice for me.

Summary... I need to hear the Ushers!

Cheers

A few interesting things for me and some good % discounts and show offers. Not a whole lot though. Hi-Fi Centre is nearly empty now with dealers looking for new places to rent. Deco 2000 have closed down their shop at Amarin....and not sure where they're going. It seems like despite the rich plainly getting richer in Thailand, the hi-fi market is diminishing.

That's the impression I had too. Same as usual, nothing new. Except DECO 2000 was nowhere to be seen. Did they really move out from Amarin? Where did they move to?

• 2 weeks later...

If KS & Son are the Usher dealer then go to their new huge showroom in Paragon. At the back is a listening room. Nice folks.

Nope, KS don't deal in Usher.

But for Naughtybad....call up Audiocom in English, the owner is fluent.