Good Tyres And Tubes For Honda Wave

petercallen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket town sam khong area.. Opposite Honda and a few meters to the north is one of the islands larger bike 'hop up' places.. I get extra wide road tyres for my scoot there which improve the bike enormously. Tho that does come at a penalty for acceleration and gyroscopic resistance (added rotating weight, simple physics).

Phuket town sam khong area.. Opposite Honda and a few meters to the north is one of the islands larger bike 'hop up' places.. I get extra wide road tyres for my scoot there which improve the bike enormously. Tho that does come at a penalty for acceleration and gyroscopic resistance (added rotating weight, simple physics).

Ermmm? the guys talking about a honda wave mate, not a drag bike ..simple physics?maybe but hardly relevant here, you may aswell be talking about the coriolis effect in a flushing toilet As for having extra wide tire on your scoot..which 'improve the bike enormously... i'm intertested in just what enormousi mprovement you get ..simple physics not included,..just factsasi am keen to improve my click.To the OP ..for normal running about town and more just fit original spec tyresand tubes as this is all you need.If you have continual slow leaks even with a newtube fitted,unless they pinched the tube when fitting or wasa dud tube i would be checking out thewheel especially if spoked one for an intrusion that is causing the leak

i'm intertested in just what enormousi mprovement you get ..

How about stopping quicker on wet roads? Or on gravel roads?

I noticed a big difference in my stopping ability when i put new tires on my Honda Wave.

I would think wider, better quality tires would do the same.

Ermmm? the guys talking about a honda wave mate, not a drag bike ..simple physics?maybe but hardly relevant here, you may aswell be talking about the coriolis effect in a flushing toilet As for having extra wide tire on your scoot..which 'improve the bike enormously... i'm intertested in just what enormousi mprovement you get ..simple physics not included,..just factsasi am keen to improve my click.To the OP ..for normal running about town and more just fit original spec tyresand tubes as this is all you need.If you have continual slow leaks even with a newtube fitted,unless they pinched the tube when fitting or wasa dud tube i would be checking out thewheel especially if spoked one for an intrusion that is causing the leak

When you put much larger tyres on a low powered bike it effects the acceleration.. Why do you think the racer boys run those thin spoked wheels and skinny tyres like bicycles ?? The lower inertia means the pickup is different.

Also yes the additional rolling mass is slightly 'heavier' in steering feel.. Due to gyro effect.. If you dont know the bike you would not feel the difference but swapping out regular tyres to the 2.5 inch (or whatever the width is I only paid attention to 'the largest' in size) made for a different feel.

I am a big guy.. Then add my GF on the back and a larger wider higher quality tyre makes the bike much more secure feeling and stable in corners.. If you just want standard cheapo tyres go for them, but upgrades are just that, but some are not without a drawback or two.

I noticed a big difference in my stopping ability when i put new tires on my Honda Wave.

Of course it does, larger contact patch, better compound, better grip..

Those bikes are designed with the cheapest components.. Change the shocks (they are not designed for 100kg farangs plus GF on the back) wider tyres, etc etc..

They didnt have them in stock but you can even get pirelli sport tyres for 17 inch rims, soft compound so much better handling. Coming down patong hill at 100 kph and every bit of grip is helpful.

Thanks, It could be the wheels, i have put new tubes in both wheels several times,

And a new tyre and tube once, but still have the same problem of slow leaks.

But there again it could be the cheap tubes they use 100 baht fitted.

Of course it does, larger contact patch, better compound, better grip..

Those bikes are designed with the cheapest components.. Change the shocks (they are not designed for 100kg farangs plus GF on the back) wider tyres, etc etc..

They didnt have them in stock but you can even get pirelli sport tyres for 17 inch rims, soft compound so much better handling. Coming down patong hill at 100 kph and every bit of grip is helpful.

Comung down Patong hill at 100 kph ?????

Thanks, It could be the wheels, i have put new tubes in both wheels several times,

And a new tyre and tube once, but still have the same problem of slow leaks.

But there again it could be the cheap tubes they use 100 baht fitted.

Peter, my mate who has rental bikkes said he buys his tires and tubes at supercheap [low to mid price range] and has a guy fit them later, but not before giving them the waterbath check first.He said that he has only had a very few leakers over the years and i would suggest that you get your wheels ckecked for intrusions.Unless you have been very unlucky and got a few duds in a row, this has to be your problem.Often a tire can cause a tube problem but as you say you have fitted a new tire, the problem probably is in the wheel Valves can also leak but by doing the waterbath test first you will find any problem before fitting.

Comung down Patong hill at 100 kph ?????

Errmmm, the OP was seeking advise about a slow leak,and youv' responded with a load ob absolute boyracer crud ! asfor the rolling mass,lower inertia, and gyro effect...HHEEELLLOOO where talking about a Wave mate,a mobile shopping basket ,owned by a guy in his 60's i would guess,and you would know that!But apart from that , basically what you have said is total nosense, and you have simply talked around your words of' improve the bike enormously... as i asked..explain to us all how and what has improved enormously, on a scooter by fitting extra large and wide tires ..maybe in your own words and not some cut and paste info you have used containing terms and technologys that 99% of scooter riders would have no clue about.As for your remarks about doing 100ks on kathu road...i'm too polite to comment on this one.. :wacko: and yety you knock the thais nonstop for their perceived craxiness on the roads.

No the OP asked where to buy good brand tyres and tubes.. It may shock you but the place to buy upgraded bits, is where the poeple who upgrade bikes shop.

Whether you go fast or not, having larger wider tyres (which is the opposite of the boy racers in fact, they want speed over handling and safety) is an advantage.

I am sure there are many places to buy upgrade parts, but that shop I listed has the largest tyre selection, and ability to order import ones from bangkok even, that I know of.

Errmmm, the OP was seeking advise about a slow leak,and youv' responded with a load ob absolute boyracer crud ! asfor the rolling mass,lower inertia, and gyro effect...HHEEELLLOOO where talking about a Wave mate,a mobile shopping basket ,owned by a guy in his 60's i would guess,and you would know that!

You seem to have taken great offense when I simply pointed out that upgraded tyres have a downside. Maybe my explanation confused you, I thought it was simple but maybe your lost.

And yes on a weak, under powered bike like a wave, increasing the rolling resistance and having more inertia to spin up slows acceleration, you not noticed the size and weight of tour de france riders tyres ?? Its not like a little wav has ample power to spare, so any extra strain has a larger (or more noticable effect then on a higher power machine.

But apart from that , basically what you have said is total nosense, and you have simply talked around your words of' improve the bike enormously... as i asked..explain to us all how and what has improved enormously, on a scooter by fitting extra large and wide tires ..maybe in your own words and not some cut and paste info you have used containing terms and technologys that 99% of scooter riders would have no clue about.

Well if you dont understand the simple physics of why spinning more weight takes more work and the gyroscopic effect of resisting turning of a spinning wheel (didnt you sit in a office chair with a spinning wheel in high school ??) then just skip over the bits that you 'dont have a clue' about.

Simply tho, wider tyres give a smoother ride, like the wide tyres on the new pcx give a smoother wide they absorb rough road surface bumps a bit better.. They also put more rubber on the road, for better braking, more stable cornering, etc etc. And only cost pennies more in the scheme of things. I would always value good brand tyres on my cars and bikes no matter what the bike.

Its not rocket science.

To the OP, another thing that can give tubes frequent (smaller) punctures is if wire rims have rough spoke ends and no rubber between the tube and the wheel rim. Its possible anyway.

Edited by LivinLOS

I asked a similar question on this forum about four or so months ago and recieved many replies most of which amounted to pump the tyres up every week. I also have a wave and suffer the same problems re the tyres losing pressure. I have spent a small fortune on buying dozens of different tubes all to no avail. Either buy your tubes overseas or be prepared to pump them up every week. The rubber used in the tubes here is clearly not good enough. I have always run Dunlop tyres on my wave with very good results, however it doesn't matter what tyre you run it does not cure the loss of pressure in the tubes. If you ever find an answer to this loss of air in the tubes please let me know. Most of the replies here are assuming you have a puncture, chances are this is not the case, the air simply leaks right through the tube itself.

I asked a similar question on this forum about four or so months ago and recieved many replies most of which amounted to pump the tyres up every week. I also have a wave and suffer the same problems re the tyres losing pressure. I have spent a small fortune on buying dozens of different tubes all to no avail. Either buy your tubes overseas or be prepared to pump them up every week. The rubber used in the tubes here is clearly not good enough. I have always run Dunlop tyres on my wave with very good results, however it doesn't matter what tyre you run it does not cure the loss of pressure in the tubes. If you ever find an answer to this loss of air in the tubes please let me know. Most of the replies here are assuming you have a puncture, chances are this is not the case, the air simply leaks right through the tube itself.

While I dont doubt your experiences, and agree that air permeates a tube, (bicycle roadies even get latex tubes which are lighter and lose air this way.. need daily pumping) why would some tyree / tubes be ok and others not..

I probably need to add air once a month, sometimes longer, dont think about it too much.. Certainly not weekly.

My experience with tubeless tires are the best.

New tires cheep/standard quality cost 800 Bath and to change three times a year. The best quality made Thai tires cost 1,200 Bath and last one year. But the tube had to be changes many times.

Then I now have the aluminum wheels without tubes, that you can drive 20,000 km and never had any problem with loosing air or fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Phuketscooter on this one. I think tubeless tires with mags are the way to go if you don't want to be re-inflating your tires weekly. Tubeless tires have thicker sidewalls and are much better made and than tube tires which helps to keep the air in, and mags are sealed tight being spokeless. Tubeless tires also run cooler, which I believe helps keep the air in. I've noticed that during the hotter seasons in Thailand, the air pressure on tube tires tend to go down faster than when the weather is cool. I used to have a Honda NSR 150 with IRC tubeless tires, 120 width in the back, that didn't lose any air in the two years that I had the tires before I sold it. The back tire was expensive, almost 2,000 baht if I recall correctly, but it was well worth the money as it was soft, meaty, very reliable, and best of all, didn't lose any pressure in the time that I had it mounted. It was the same situation with the front tire though I don't remember exactly what the size was. Going for 200km runs on the open highways in the south, cruising at 120 felt safe and stable with the stiff shock I had mounted. I now have a Honda wave and I'm re-inflating the tires every week or so because I have spoke rims with tube tires. The Michelin MX3's I have on, if I'm not mistaken of the model, are good tires but the air pressure needs to be checked about once a week. Also during hot seasons, the back tire pressure drops from 32 pounds to about twelve in a single week. I've got a pair of tubeless tires on order at the moment; 70/90/17 for the front, and 80/90/17 for the back. They are IRC's and they're only about a hundred baht more than the tube tires. I'm having them mounted on a pair of Daiichi mag rims, which are ugly but I prefer having bikes that are not very likely to be stolen, and hopefully then my problem of re-inflating the tires every week will be over. It's going to cost almost 4,000 baht for the rims, tires and mounting of the tires, but it'll be well worth it if my tire de-pressure problem will be over. I mean let's face it. Riding with tires that aren't properly inflated is not only dangerous but it costs a bit more in petro to run the bike, and it's time consuming stopping in at petro stations on the daily routes to see if the air compressor is working if they have one.

Bloody hel_l a simple question just needs a simple answer!!! people getting upset yet again over a simple post.

I have had my Suzuki Skywave for 15 months and have never had a problem so just take your bike to Honda and get them to check out the wheels tyres etc. simple!!!!

New tires cheep/standard quality cost 800 Bath and to change three times a year. The best quality made Thai tires cost 1,200 Bath and last one year. But the tube had to be changes many times.

Then I now have the aluminum wheels without tubes, that you can drive 20,000 km and never had any problem with loosing air or fix.

Strange I have just changed my rear tyre on my Suzuki got from Suzuki 18500 kms cost 600 bht the tube was changed a couple of times for punctures..

I HAVE TO SAY THIS DOES MAKE ME LAUGH , Well if you dont understand the simple physics of why spinning more weight takes more work and the gyroscopic effect of resisting turning of a spinning wheel (didnt you sit in a office chair with a spinning wheel in high school ??) then just skip over the bits that you 'dont have a clue' about.

WE Are talking about a 125cc moped not a road going 1000cc super bike. keep the info simple or go on to a forum for egg heads!!!

But then again it is entertaining!!!

Edited by kenny999

Strange I have just changed my rear tyre on my Suzuki got from Suzuki 18500 kms cost 600 bht the tube was changed a couple of times for punctures..

Kenny, before moving on to the egghead post, would it be possible for you to clarify what you wrote here? You're also a bit off the topic and your comments have no relevance to the thread. Move along little fella.

Kenny, before moving on to the egghead post, would it be possible for you to clarify what you wrote here? You're also a bit off the topic and your comments have no relevance to the thread. Move along little fella.

Quite tall actually lol and as for being off topic you will notice that that the op does not mention tubeless tyres does it. lol and do you really think the op is interested in your 4000 bht rims to cure a deflation problem get a grip lad laugh well you have to...

Funny thing tho.. Threads are evolving beasts.. Start on one topic and meander into another..

So is it really any surprise when posting a thread on upgrading tires people talk about (shock horror) upgraded tire options and drawbacks and advantages ??

Some people take thier bikes to the manufacturer and have the over priced stock ones put on.. And are happy.. Fine.. Others might like to change or upgrade.. also fine.

Funny thing tho.. Threads are evolving beasts.. Start on one topic and meander into another..

So is it really any surprise when posting a thread on upgrading tires people talk about (shock horror) upgraded tire options and drawbacks and advantages ??

Some people take thier bikes to the manufacturer and have the over priced stock ones put on.. And are happy.. Fine.. Others might like to change or upgrade.. also fine.

Very true indeed, but I dont think 600 for a tyre from Suzuki is over priced or are you saying I could have got this same tyre at a fraction of the cost else where.

second the tubelss tyres on mags for scoots, and of course on all road biased big bikes

no leaks, no flats any more. period

second the tubelss tyres on mags for scoots, and of course on all road biased big bikes

no leaks, no flats any more. period

What do you mean no flats any more? tubeless tyres still get punctures, or are you saying you are still able to drive safetly at a reduced speed if you get a flat in a tubeless tyre..

What do you mean no flats any more? tubeless tyres still get punctures, or are you saying you are still able to drive safetly at a reduced speed if you get a flat in a tubeless tyre..

have 3 yammy elegance with tubeless on mags, no punctures at all since April 2008 :)

all my other scoots puncture on occasions including an elegance on spokes/tubes

phuketscoots elegance is september 2008, tubeless on mags and +150 kg load minimum. not one puncture in +2 years and 20k km, right phuketscooter?

tybeless tyres are much stronger, and tubeless dont have the friction from tube, reducing heat

in addition its safety. tubed tyres explode or run flat very quickly. tubeless slowly

no more verubber tubed ;)

anyone been able to find high quality tubeless for PCX?

Very true indeed, but I dont think 600 for a tyre from Suzuki is over priced or are you saying I could have got this same tyre at a fraction of the cost else where.

Stock manufacturer stuff is always done to a cost basis rather than a quality basis IMO. Always seems to me that you get better quality for the same price aftermarket. Its not the price that bothers me more that they are the budget items that most main dealers will install.

Its a scooter tyre.. Its not going to make it a knee dragger.. But there is an appreciable difference to putting larger tyres IMO.

Look at the much raved about and now 75k baht PCX, 50% of the reason it rides better is the wide tyres.

Stock manufacturer stuff is always done to a cost basis rather than a quality basis IMO. Always seems to me that you get better quality for the same price aftermarket. Its not the price that bothers me more that they are the budget items that most main dealers will install.

Its a scooter tyre.. Its not going to make it a knee dragger.. But there is an appreciable difference to putting larger tyres IMO.

Look at the much raved about and now 75k baht PCX, 50% of the reason it rides better is the wide tyres.

Not interested in wider tyres but tubeless is a very sensible upgrade..

Quite tall actually lol and as for being off topic you will notice that that the op does not mention tubeless tyres does it. lol and do you really think the op is interested in your 4000 bht rims to cure a deflation problem get a grip lad laugh well you have to...

Sorry big guy, but the topic is about avoiding the problem of air pressure loss in Thailand, and the point I made was that it's unavoidable as long as tube tires with spoke rims are used. Tubeless with mags was not only a solution, but it was spot on mate; and the 4,000 baht was for the rims and tires. Laugh, well it's sad to...

It seems more like 80% of the reason for it's softer ride is because of the overall width of the bike with the extra wide seat. I think they also weigh a bit more to give it a hog cruiser type ride.